4Runners-1st gen Post your 1st gens here

85HiNuff's Projects

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85HiNuff's Projects

I traded for a 4Runner in July of last year. I have owned several Yota's over the years, and sold my last one to go to Seminary in NC. It was a '91 with 9" of lift running 39.5x18x15 Boggers on Weld Super single II's. Bushwacker Cut-outs, Dual shocks on all 4 corners, Fabbed front bumper, and 4:88's. Yeah, I know it was alotta show, but it was definatly a head turner.
This was back in 1996. that is my son in the last pic, he's 15 now.

Here are my latest projects:

this is an '86 DLX Runner, it had 110k miles on it when I got it. Picked it up in Chapel Hill NC from a guy on another forum. Blew a head gasket on the way back home. Dropped $600 bucks and hit the road again. Since July mods include:
New head gasket
new timing set
New plugs
installed new (used) carpet
installed new (used) door panels
color coded the trim peices to match new interior
Removed the double nerf bars
upgraded from 31x10.5's on 15x8's to 33x10.5's on 15x10's
upgraded timing set
wire brushed the frame and rattle canned it black
installed Kayline canvass top
installed roof rack (yakima)

purchased a bikini top
removed about 50lbs of sand from the interior
installed rear rock/backup lights, and interior cargo light, and power point in rear cargo area
Tinted all the windows limo in the back, VA legal on front
front skyjacker steering stabilizer
rewired sound system
installed new Clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, and flex hose
installed new windshield (already busted the second one) waiting for new one.

Future plans:
Ball Joint spacers
2" rear blocks or shackles
New A/T tires
sliders
rear bumper with tire carrier
regear to 4:88's
fresh paint, and a little metal work
sound dampening the interior
This will be a DD so no major Off road plans

The second project is a 1985 toyota Extracab 22re 5spd SR5.
Here's how I found the ole gal:

Some pics after the resto started:

I lifted this truck about 13 yrs ago for a friend, and was able to purchase it Jan 08. We used to swap tires and wheels quite often back then, so this truck has seen 33's, 35's, 38 Cepeks, and 39.5 Boggers. It's got 134k miles on it. I have removed the bed and recently replaced it, Wire Brushed the entire frame, and rattle canned it black. removed all the interior and washed it before re-install. Hand sanded the entire body and primed it. When she was parked a year ago, it had a new Distributor, fuel pump, clutch kit, and timing set on it. I have replaced the fuel pump and in-line filter, and plugs. rotated the Distrubutor (correcting a local shops mix up), and she fired right up! I have obtained 4" front springs and a set of 3" rear blocks to add to the AAL set up in the rear until I can get some lifted springs. She's got 35" Wild County RVT's on 15x12 monster wheels for now. I hope to upgrade when finances allow. I have front and rear trusses to install.

This truck will not see alot of super tough trails, but it would like for it to be able to tackle whatever i take a shine to tacklin'. This resto is a project that I have wanted to get back into for many years. As i stated earlier I sold the '91 to go to seminary. Ever since I have regreted it. I always told myself that one day I was gonna build up another toyota. i plan on running the old tags that i had on my last 2 lifted trucks. I look forward to getting her back on the road.

Future plans:
Sandblast and paint (probably flat color with clearcoat)
upgrade tires to 37's or 38's
Regear 5:29's or 4:88's
Lockers
Sliders
Truss front and rear axle housings
Possible double shock front and rear (a little overkill, I know)
Fiberglass fenders or Bushwacker cut-outs
partial exo frame
Update 10/2011[IMG][/IMG]
Sent the runner to a local bodyshop with new fiberglass panels from Toyotafiberglass.com. new quarters, fenders, tailgate and cowl. Here are some photos of the progress. [IMG][/IMG]
she looks so vulnerable in her stripped down state. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Here is a shot from the highest point on the east coast. rolled the canvass up and took in the beauty of God's creation. [IMG][/IMG]
since then added, header and new exhaust, hidden hitch, front valance, new mirrors.
Next plans, remove body lift, install suspension lift, new tires and wheels, (got the wheels already Alcoa look-a-likes).

Last edited by Erik Hinch; 11-02-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Well this past year found some needed changes to Old Blue, Installed a complete exhaust system including a pacesetter header, new converter, and Borla Muffler. Stock rear flat bumper, hitch and upgraded the Yakima Rack system.
Sold the truck to ToyotaDad. He is a great guy and great to deal with.