Arizona Arizona Chapter

Trail 404 Run, September 8th

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Trail 404 Run, September 8th

Here are the details...

When: Saturday 9/8, 8:00 AM, pull out at 8:30.
Where: 144th Street and Rio Verde.
Difficulty: General route... 2.5 out of 5. Advanced route... 4.5 out of 5.
Time: I'd estimate around 6 hours depending on group size... so bring a lunch.

For scale: Sunflower would be around a 2.5, waterfall upstream @ Log Corral is around a 3.5.

Plan is to hit a few different routes in and out of Camp Creek. If needed, the group will split for a short section of trail so more advanced rigs can try difficult obstacles. Everyone will be able to watch attempts if they choose to bypass. Here is a little map so everyone can get an idea of how the options would work:

The group would run Camp Creek all the way down to the Verde, then watch or run "Micro Hells" and "Will-It-Fit"... regrouping before "Spare Tire Canyon" and the rest of 404 to the exit.

Requirements...

All vehicles: No one can be wider than 82" from sidewall to sidewall. "Spare Tire Canyon" has no bypass and can't be done if any wider. Westy ground his rims against each wall at 82". You can not flex, twist or wriggle through... you must stay on the sand bed. Also, the trails in and around the Camp Creek area are not well traveled and can have tight brush here and there.

General Vehicles: 31's will take effort, rear locker suggested, sliders would be nice but not necessary.

Advanced Vehicles: 33's minimum, steel front and rear bumpers, sliders, front and rear lockers.

Pic of "Spare Tire Canyon" (all vehicles):

Pic of obstacle 1 of 2, "Will It Fit" (advanced vehicles only):

These specific trails will be new to most of you, even those familiar with the Camp Creek area. For those who have done the "Box Canyon" at FJ, the 404 slot canyons make the FJ "Box Canyon" look like a freeway. Very unique and a lot of fun. Overall the general route is not very technical. A few boulder sections keep things interesting, but mostly it's very tight with some really good views.

"Will-It-Fit" and "Micro Hells" can easily be observed but don't have to be run. A great opportunity to see some vehicles work there way through some tougher stuff. Also have seen a gila monster, skunk and desert tortoise in the area.

Post up if you are planning on going so we can make sure to get a head count beforehand. Hope to see you out there.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am surprised more people are not interested in this trail run. It is relatively close to town and offers some unique landscape and wheeling for all types of vehicles.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 AM

I'll be there... but I don't think the tacoma will make it through the squeeze. I have 10" wide wheels with 2" backspacing. That's an additional 16" on top of the 60" WMS.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:21 AM

Kent - you will want to measure sidewall to sidewall on the front axle - if under 82" you wont have a problem getting through - thats my width with 10 inch beadlock wheels, 59" axle and 14" wide tires

Your truck is wide though with that Dana 44 and those wheels.

Last edited by westy44runner; 08-29-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:13 AM

Sorry... I wasn't paying attention. For some reason I was thinking 72" even though Elvota clearly said 82".
Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kent
I'll be there... but I don't think the tacoma will make it through the squeeze. I have 10" wide wheels with 2" backspacing. That's an additional 16" on top of the 60" WMS.
So, Kent... you are at 76" wide? If so, it'll fit.

I am trying to figure out an option that wouldn't require the width restriction of 82"... but I haven't been able to figure one out yet.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM

This trail looks fun, but I'm going wheelin this weekend so I probably can't go with you guys next weekend.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
So, Kent... you are at 76" wide? If so, it'll fit.

I am trying to figure out an option that wouldn't require the width restriction of 82"... but I haven't been able to figure one out yet.
Dont forget the sidewall to sidewall measurement will be greater than just adding up the axle width, wheel width and backspacing - the sidewall is further out than the edge of the wheel - It will be close...
Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 PM

I've been up camp creek before and this looks like a lot more fun than just the creek bed. Count me in on this one.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope to attend. I'm having work done on the truck so I'll have to be a late confirmation. If he's all buttoned up in time I'll be there. If not, will you have a seat Kent?

Mike
Old 08-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Nice... looks like this run is getting some more interest.

It's a really fun place to go, and suited very well for different level rigs and driver experience with the ways things can be split up.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:22 AM

Mike, no one has reserved my open seat yet... so you got shotgun.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Steve,
This is "partly" the trail we did, correct?
My truck fit just fine. Not scraping or scratches just some careful spotting and a puckered you know what. My fender flares stick out the furthest and I tucked the side view mirrors in. Sliders make that canyon nicer so you can pivot off them.
I'll try and go. I plan on being in town!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
Steve, this is "partly" the trail we did, correct?
Yup... the one at night. Much easier during the day, except you can see how close the walls come. Maybe it's better in the dark after all.

You'll see a couple of new sections that are pretty technical. A bit much for your truck at this point, but should be fun to watch none the less. I am also adding a DH flume type section that we will all drive which is very fun.

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
Sliders make that canyon nicer so you can pivot off them.
With all this rain that end section you refer to has actually changed quite a bit. The sand has filled up the backside, so you no longer carve around the boulder. Can't really say if it is easier or harder now... just different.

Really hope you can make it out. Should be a fun day.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by kent
Mike, no one has reserved my open seat yet... so you got shotgun.
Thanks Kent. Count me in. 99% sure the truck won't be ready by the 8th, but I definately want to check this trail out.

Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Count me in as a possible, Depends if I get the work done on my truck this weekend.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
Depends if I get the work done on my truck this weekend.
Sounds like a familiar theme.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I took some time off the kitchen remodel on Saturday to scout the route. Wanted to make sure the rain hadn't changed things to much.

There are a few line changes, maybe some boulders that weren't as exposed before... but overall still good to go. I was also able to reduce the amount of aggressive brush, for much less AZP.

Came across another desert tortoise. Had to move him from the trail.

Even better, I surprised a bobcat sleeping in one of the rocky side caves. I am not sure if I have ever seen one of those in the wild before. It ran off down the creek. Not to big, but was glad I spooked him with the truck and not on foot. I was maybe 5' away when he sprung up and sprinted off.

See you guys Saturday.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

I'm in, I won't be driving I'll be riding shotgun in my buddies Disco. I measured it yesterday and it is under the 82".

When you see the red Land rover roll up, don't start throwing eggs and stuff.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM
JGM

Steve - I am 50/50 on the trail. I would like to go, but I may have some stuff to accomplish with my wife on Saturday...I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Trail 404 Run, September 8th