Arizona Arizona Chapter

Thinking about a change....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thinking about a change....

Well, I am at a crossroads with the 4Runner... and have been motivated by some recent rigs I have been wheeling with.

I am tossing around the idea of getting a 89 to 95 X-Tra cab pickup. 4CYL, 4WD, 5spd. I'd like to make a more aggressive crawler than the 4Runner with all the weight and glass. I want to have something that can flop... although my goal would be to not flop it.

My thoughts:
37" tires
Bob about 1' off the bed.
63" Chevy rears (or try to figure out how to link it... it's good to have a dream)
Exo cab first, progressing to the tail end.
Mild cam, LCE headers and a full engine rebuild while I am at it
Swap my SAS, dual cases, bumper... etc from the 4Runner

Possible flat bed way down the line, but willing to sacrifice the sheetmetal for now. I have ideas of doing a unique Exo of sorts that could possibly allow for the install of a shuttle box up top for super long expedition type trips (Utah) and maybe even bob a shell of some sort that I can slide on for gear storage and dog transport when it makes sense. Probably just a few times a year.

My budget is basically nothing. Most of my coin has already been sunk into the 4Runner, which I don't mind, since most of it will be getting transfered to the new rig. I'd like to find a truck in the $500 to $1000 range... although I realize that's hard to do once the word "Toyota" is mentioned.

So, I am bouncing the idea around in my head... but I would appreciate it if the local AZ YTr's could keep an eye out for a possible truck that will work. Would be great to find one with a mechanical problem or minor body damage that motivates the current owner to get rid of it at a low price.

Just let me know if you see any around town lots, browsing want ads or what have you.

I'd appreciate any leads.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly your not anywhere close to that cross roads. You just need more seat time.

Perfect example on Hells Gate, you got scared and stopped, I did the same thing and drove it out. I know you would have rode it out on a bike.

You need to get as comfortable in the truck as you are on the bike. Sure the 4Runner is a bit heavier than a pickup, but with these trips to the scale, not all that much.

Give it another year and at least take it through Lower Terminator, then you'll be ready for a buggy. To do what you want to do you have to advance your welding as well.

If you find a beater which is quite difficult, I have been looking for months for Hughes. You can pick it up, but you'll have to beat me to it.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

I think I came across the wrong way. I know my 4Runner is plenty more capable than I am as the driver. I could run the 4Runner happily for years as my skills improve. I just got the 4Runner as an experiment... looking to be able to take others out on the trail, seeing how the body style would perform for my needs. I always knew that if I didn't like the body design I could swap later to a similar year pickup.

Without getting into tons of boring detail, I find the 4Runner style limits me much more than the pickup I had previous. I think ultimately the 4Runner is limited off road, but there are other reasons for me to swap. I like to do longer, cross country epic type drives including dogs, bikes, camping and hiking. Plus I want to crawl harder and harder terrain. No perfect vehicle I suppose, but the pickup is more in the vein I am wishing to travel.

I know Hughes is also looking, but keep in mind that the rig I am interested in can be in significantly worse shape that what he needs. For example, I can basically take the entire front clip (fenders, hood, grill, etc) off my 4Runner and swap to a pickup. So, I can start with a truck that's got much more body damage than Hughes is probably interested in. Hopefully saving me some money as well.

I am even kicking around the idea of starting with a 2wd version since I currently have a majority of the drivetrain ready to go.

Anyone see a rig like this in AZ, just let me know and I can follow up. The more eyes looking I have the better chance I will get. I'll also pass potential trucks on to Hughes if they are above what I am looking for.

I agree with you on the welding. I plan to take a class or to. I really enjoy the building/ fab aspect of wheeling. Even though I have a way to go, I've come pretty far in the 2 years you met me wandering aimlessly around the local Yota Yard. I hadn't even seen the inside of an engine or knew how to plug in a welder then... now I can mess all sorts of stuff up.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 AM

I will keep an eye out for the pickup. However...

Your 4runner really is setup nice though. I really believe and know it has alot more potential as well, especially as you get out and explore more new trails. Look at Carlos from Toybox, granted he does have that exo but your 4runner is real similiar to his setup.

A set of good bias ply, stickier tires would go A LONG way to improving trail performance. Its night and day...and then if you put a traction bar on the rear axle you would be set.

You could also cut quite a bit of weight by removing the doors and or adding tube doors? Not to mention, that back tailgate w/ glass on the 4runners is alot of weight too, ~ 125lbs at least I bet. That would help alot and save them from trail damage too.

Last edited by westy44runner; 07-10-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 AM

What about doing a body swap, or just a cab swap. Heck if you plan to flatbed the truck, no need to pay more for a truck bed, or for all the other parts that you wont need off the truck. You could find an extra cab, swap it onto your 4runner frame and then you wont have a 120" + wheelbase like those 1990+ extra cabs have.

You shouldnt have too much of a problem finding a cab in good condition. Are you really set on getting a 22RE? Seems your 3.0 is a strong motor and with 37s you will need all the power you can get, especially for long distance trips.

Last edited by westy44runner; 07-10-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by westy44runner
What about doing a body swap, or just a cab swap. Heck if you plan to flatbed the truck, no need to pay more for a truck bed, or for all the other parts that you wont need off the truck. You could find an extra cab, swap it onto your 4runner frame and then you wont have a 120" + wheelbase like those 1990+ extra cabs have.

You shouldnt have too much of a problem finding a cab in good condition. Are you really set on getting a 22RE? Seems your 3.0 is a strong motor and with 37s you will need all the power you can get, especially for long distance trips.

Thats exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread. It wouldnt make sense to swap everything if you just want a pickup style body as it sounds. Unless you want to just build it in a different manner than how you have everything currently attached to the frame. Can you bob a 4runner frame like is done to pickups? Or i know this is more of a pain but what about chopping the cargo area of the 4runner like some do.
With a more strict budget I would consider the most reasonable and cost effective route, or just wheel the runner longer and save funds for the project.

Last edited by Godzilla; 07-10-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

What I am wondering is if you sat back and realized that your pretty much "done" with this 4Runner. You pretty much are.

Except for that 3.4 swap which will be big bucks. So the question is, are you looking for a change because this one is "done"? Are you honestly looking for something to tinker with?

Just a though. I have sat back and watched you build it, I really did not give you any advice either way, I just let you go with it. It really only has one big problem.

* The rear leafs suck beyond belief and wrap like crazy. Don't feel bad Salvage Brian's wrapped worse. That's pretty much it. Chevys won't be any better.

It's summer time to fix your stuff and head out in the fall with all your equipment ready to go.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Other ideas, photos and info to stir the pot alittle more -

Bob Williams - Flatbed 4runner -

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480124

From this post -
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74615

via Bob Williams - "How to" Bobbed/flatbed 4runner info - http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80389

Last edited by westy44runner; 07-10-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

As the thread title states... "Thinking about a change...." As expected, YT has raised some interesting points. Part of the reason I like to post here.

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
What I am wondering is if you sat back and realized that your pretty much "done" with this 4Runner. You pretty much are.

Except for that 3.4 swap which will be big bucks. So the question is, are you looking for a change because this one is "done"? Are you honestly looking for something to tinker with?
It is very true I do like to tinker. You should see how many bike frames and parts we have lying around the house. All very quality stuff... just out grew it, changed direction or what have you. It is also true that the 4Runner is basically done... all though there is always something I suppose.

The idea of building another rig with everything I have learned (or think I have llearned) is very appealing to me. At this point, I could do just about anything with the 4Runner. If I start chopping it up and adding an Exo, I start getting into a lot of time and money that would be a total loss should I decide on a direction change. Plus, I have never seen a 4Runner cage designed to cover the span of the 2 doors. There is such a huge gap in protection and ultimately cage strength because of that fact... in my opinion.

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
The rear leafs suck beyond belief and wrap like crazy. Don't feel bad Salvage Brian's wrapped worse. That's pretty much it. Chevys won't be any better.
With the Chevies, I was looking to experiment and gain more flex... not really reduce axle wrap. I'd agree, a traction bar would be a very good mod that should happen soon on the 4Runner. I of course can't tell what's moving back there when we wheel and haven't developed the seat of the pants feel either. I had actually thought about trying to add one before Moab.... I'll have to start thinking about it some more.

What about doing a body swap, or just a cab swap. You could find an extra cab, swap it onto your 4runner frame and then you wont have a 120" + wheelbase like those 1990+ extra cabs have.
Now that is an interesting idea. Hadn't really considered that. I would have to figure out a way to retain the bed though. I really want a place for the dog and would like a removable shell of sorts for camping. Trying to split the difference there in terms of usability. Wonder if you can bob the front of a bed so the wheel wells would lineup with the 4Runner frame?

Are you really set on getting a 22RE? Seems your 3.0 is a strong motor and with 37s you will need all the power you can get, especially for long distance trips.
I know my 3.0 works well, but I have never been really impressed with it. Coming from a '90 pickup running a 4cyl with 33's, auto and factory gearing this 4Runner is a major turd. Again, it might just be the extra weight, although the scales so far don't really back that up to much.

I just think the 4cyl is ultimately more reliable, easier to work on and has a lot of things going for it. Plus a better level of after market support. Of course... the 3.4 is probably the ultimate for my use overall. That would be a major improvement with Elvota for sure.

__________________________________________________ _____

I may look into bobbing the 4Runner again. I had E-Mailed Bob Williams maybe almost a year ago with questions and he was more than willing to have me stop by and check it out.

I may be looking for a rig that can't exist. One that will crawl trails like Bad Medicine and also drive to Escalante and back full of gear and a dog.

Last edited by Elvota; 07-10-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Check out Mossyrocks 4Runner from ttora, might be what you are thinking of...http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56001 long thread but worth it...

The body swap idea sounds like an easy one for you though...Good luck, time and choices kind of suck sometimes...
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah... if I chop and such, I'll definitely be using rigs like that for my inspiration.

I am trying to decide whether I need/ want 4 doors and also figure out the best way to have some payload capacity.

With the cab completely separate from the bed like a pickup, that works great for the dog and gear. 2 doors of the pickup cab solves some issues as well. If I am going to only have 1 passenger or less 95% of the time, the 4Runner seems to have a lot of space I can't use like I want to.

Puzzles.... puzzles....