Arizona Arizona Chapter

Slider group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't buying in bulk the point of a group buy? Buy in bulk to save on shipping and product costs? What am I missing?

I wasn't attacking you at all (on the contrary, you have a very good reputation here and I respect you), but Trail-Gear says any purchase over $250 is free shipping. If I, my brother, and my dad all want sliders and have them shipped to my address (we all live within a block of each other), this purchase is over $250 and gets free shipping. If it ate into their profits, they wouldn't offer free shipping on orders over $250.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by weiln
Isn't buying in bulk the point of a group buy? Buy in bulk to save on shipping and product costs? What am I missing?

I wasn't attacking you at all (on the contrary, you have a very good reputation here and I respect you), but Trail-Gear says any purchase over $250 is free shipping. If I, my brother, and my dad all want sliders and have them shipped to my address (we all live within a block of each other), this purchase is over $250 and gets free shipping. If it ate into their profits, they wouldn't offer free shipping on orders over $250.
The purpose of a group buy as I understand it is to buy a lot of something to get a lower price.

I hate to bust your bubble but I and TG offer "free UPS Ground shipping" on orders over $250, so while 10 sets of sliders would cover teh $250 requirement the 10 sets of sliders would weigh like 500 lbs and the UPS limit is 170 so the free shipping would not apply.

I never stated, inferred or implied you were attacking me, I simply replied to your comments and others that were a bit construed and some incorrect information.

Wormdude approached me about this...not vice versa and I appreciate him considering me for the opportunity...but I'm not going to lose money or create myself a logistical headache to do a group buy.

I'll gladly honor the price I told him for a group buy, but I won't eat 500 lbs worth of shipping. Why would I want to sell stuff and lose money?

Good luck with your group buy.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-13-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

The sliders Myself and Stubbs build for 1996-2002 4Runners are 66" long.

If you guys wait until the Sunflower run I will show you in person exactly what the kick outs do. After this demonstration, I'm willing to bet every single one of you gets kick outs.

The guys in the group I usually go out with all have the kicks, they got them in the beginning or we added then later. In the end, everyone has them, in Arizona you really need them, if you up the anty beyond a trail like Sunflower.

Maybe you guys need to learn a bit more before you choose the tools.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=waskillywabbit;50551075]

You are mistaken in your comments here. I sell many types of sliders from several vendors at many different prices and some come with mounting plates and gussets and some do not, as they are plainly noted on the website on the pages for various vehicles. Please get your facts straight before spreading misinformation.

Sorry Wab, I am mistaken indeed - I did read the * and + part, my bad! I'll go

Thank you for clarifying though.

I already have sliders, so I'm out of this group buy anyway. BUT, I still have access to a loading dock if that helps out with pricing on anything regardless if I'm in the buy or not.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

I agree Steve,
I had to get around a rock with elvota that would have been easy with kick outs last week on our night run.
Yikes, this is getting out of hand.
Weiln, He's saying that if at any place you buy over a certain amount the margins are such that free shipping can be offered. If the product you want is not actually over that dollar amount ordering many of them does not increase his profit margin. So simply ordering a lot of them wont get him the money needed to still make money and ship an item that otherwise would not make him enough to do so. (it makes sense in my head, but its hard to say out loud)
I feel like we are making this harder than it needs to be.
Lets ALL take a look at each brand etc, do some measuring tonight and just post which ones we want. If we can decide on which ones we want, lets not worry about whether this brand costs $20 over that one. I know we'll all just want to make sure that if we buy from the wabbit or sonoran steve or whomever we'll just want to ask if we are ordering the ones they make or the ones they stock of another vendor.
I'm out on any trail gear ones. I want someone I can talk to who actually welded it so its stubbs, sonoran steve or the wabbit for me with kick outs in the sub $200 or near there range.
Oh, and thanks to the vendors for posting in this thread. Nice to see you are there to answer the customers questions.

Last edited by SOAZtim; 06-13-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:39 PM

My marlins are 58" w/o kick outs. I wish I had gotten them a little longer. I'd like to get some kick outs thrown on these before I get them welded on, that could help with the length.
Tim, does your friend down in Tucson have a bender?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
I agree Steve,
I had to get around a rock with elvota that would have been easy with kick outs last week on our night run.
Yikes, this is getting out of hand.
Weiln, He's saying that if at any place you buy over a certain amount the margins are such that free shipping can be offered. If the product you want is not actually over that dollar amount ordering many of them does not increase his profit margin. So simply ordering a lot of them wont get him the money needed to still make money and ship an item that otherwise would not make him enough to do so. (it makes sense in my head, but its hard to say out loud)
I feel like we are making this harder than it needs to be.
Lets ALL take a look at each brand etc, do some measuring tonight and just post which ones we want. If we can decide on which ones we want, lets not worry about whether this brand costs $20 over that one. I know we'll all just want to make sure that if we buy from the wabbit or sonoran steve or whomever we'll just want to ask if we are ordering the ones they make or the ones they stock of another vendor.
I'm out on any trail gear ones. I want someone I can talk to who actually welded it so its stubbs, sonoran steve or the wabbit for me with kick outs in the sub $200 or near there range.
Oh, and thanks to the vendors for posting in this thread. Nice to see you are there to answer the customers questions.
Ya, it's gotten out of a hand a bit. I never thought that it would be such a mess. Just trying to help everyone out.

I'll probable end up with the wab fab (or tg though the vendor) ones though. I did my comparsions between all-pro, demello, wabfab, stubbs, trail gear and 4 crawler and looked at what they have to offer. My only problem is going to be welding them on, since I don't know how.
Which is one of the reasons for the group buy so we could help each out, but I guess that doesn't matter as long as we have sliders.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
If all you guys are in AZ it might make sense to try and do a group buy from an AZ vendor...and go pick them up instead of shipping?

Sonoran Steel would treat you well I'm sure and can weld them on even.

You do still weld dontcha swinger?

Old 06-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
If all you guys are in AZ it might make sense to try and do a group buy from an AZ vendor...and go pick them up instead of shipping?

Sonoran Steel would treat you well I'm sure and can weld them on even.

Thanks for the information.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:43 PM

I might be interested in some 60+" kickout sliders for the right price now that I've had to think about it.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 PM

I just sent an email to Steve over at Sororan Steel, asking him a few questions. They have their own sliders (a bit pricey) and stubbs welding sliders but I asked if they would install sliders from a different vendor/manufacture. Hopefully, I'll know more tommorrow.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

The Sonoran Steel Sliders are TIG welded. (Aerospace) They are also the best and most functional design myself and Richard Stubbbs could come up with. They will push you around and protect your truck like no other.

Does everyone need TIG welded ultimate sliders? Probably not. Stubbs has alot of other ones to choose from. The BEST one he has that is affordable is the design that I also worked on with him that has the rear of the Sonoran Steel sliders and the front of his Deluxe.

This one is MIG welded like all the rest of the slider out there and will still give you the rear kick to push the truck AWAY from rocks and damage.

I charge $100.00 to weld on Stubbs Sliders. To complete the Trail Gear "KIT" it would be $250-300, because to be honest with you, It's just like starting from scratch and "IF" I did start from scratch, I would build them out of DOM.

In the end, the bottom line is that if you can do 100% of the work yourself, then the Marlin/TrailGear sliders are fine. If you have to hire or find someone to help you, in the end the Stubbs Sliders are going to be more economical. The reason is that what Richard Stubbs will send you is 100% complete all the installer has to do is clean the frame, place the slider and weld them on.

The best design you guys can get from Stubbs is the one I worked on with him and the set that "RIC" has. They are not on his site, but I can get him to make anything.

If there are multiple sets, I'm sure I could get him to give you a deal. But you'll have to go through me and I'll pitch it to him, not you guys. It will work better that way.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Zona4r
My marlins are 58" w/o kick outs. I wish I had gotten them a little longer. I'd like to get some kick outs thrown on these before I get them welded on, that could help with the length.
Tim, does your friend down in Tucson have a bender?
He has a full shop. He used to build, race trucks, buggies etc for a living, but sold the shop. He's now got a full "home" shop. Hey, he built our race car and I've endoed it twice. I'll trust anything he welds.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:23 PM

sschaefer3 thanks for the reply, it's very similair to what steve said:

Here's a copy of the email reply.

1. Are those sliders in stock or do they have to be order in?

*** They would have to be ordered and built for your truck, they are all a
little different, mud flaps, flares, etc. We do not stock the sliders, they
are built to order. ***

2. If they are in stock what sizes do you have avaibable 58", 60" w/ or
without kickouts. Also would the 60" interfer with the factory fender flares

(I measured 61" but I could be wrong)?

*** The tube goes under the flares and really need to be much longer that 60
or 61". We have made tons of these sliders and would make the correct size
for your vehicle. ***

3. What would be the install price and how long would it take?

*** You would order the sliders directly from Stubbs, The install would be
$100 and would take 2 hours. ***

4. I'd would becoming from Yuma because I'm don't know of any shops in thise

area that does this kind of work. The only time I could make it over would
be on Saturday and if I understand correctly from the website that is
possible by making a previous arrangement.

*** I know little to nothing about Yuma. Saturday would be fine. ***

5. If I was to order a set of sliders from another vendor "Wabfab" for
example would it be possible to have those installed and would there be a
price difference since it would be coming from another source?

*** I can install anything, but from Trail Gear/Wab Fab your looking at a
much higher install cost, because they are not as far along as the Stubbs
sliders. All of a sudden a 2 hours job becomes an all day job and it is now
250-300 for the install. The Stubbs sliders truly are the best value out
there when you factor in the install. ***

6. Do you offer trail-gear sliders? The website list trail-gear parts but
not sliders.

*** I can get them, that is not a problem, but your looking at that 250-300
install again. ***

7. This question is in reguard to skid plates but have you heard of or seen
anyone using high-density polyethylene (HDPE, cutting board plastic) for
skid plates? A couple of us on yotatech have questions about this material.

*** No I have not, I don't know how well that would hold up, Myself and Bud
built have settled on 3/16" thick steel for skids, so you would need to find
a piece of material that has the strength equivalent of 3/16" steel. Keep
in mind you will have 5000+ pounds smashing down on it. ***

Finally when welding something to the frame of a nice new late model
vehicle, do you really want to cut any corners on something this permanent?

Steve
Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM

For what's it is worth (since I am new to this forum, but not to toyota's or wheelin) I trust in Steve's opinion, and information, and especially his fabrication skills. He has helped me out several times in the last couple of years, and ALLWAYS stands behind his work / products. That is why I choose his suspension & protection products, he is local, and always available if you need assistance / questions.
No, I am not affilited, paid, etc. for my opinion, just throwing in my .02 for the guys who are shopping for this kind of product.

See you all out on the trail.

Josh
Old 06-14-2007, 04:49 PM

Tim, that's a sweet ride! I was just wondering if he could bend some tubing to add kickouts to my marlins.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:56 PM

sweet
Old 06-14-2007, 07:49 PM

Judging by the way this thread has gone I'm going to be going to the shop that waskillywabbit mentioned.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

Of course and I don't have to grind them smooth......