Arizona Arizona Chapter

az trails

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
az trails

I'm new to wheelin and to the forum, just picked up an 81 pickup. I've been learning a ton on this site and have some plans for my truck. As the money comes in lol. But I don't know many trials in az. Was wondering is all you az guys and gals could help me out and post up some places to wheel in az. Also nice camping spots as well. Oh and I'm in phx.

Thanks quinn
Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 AM

you gotta come more north. there are all kinds of trails around prescott, flagstaff and here in williams. Also if you need parts for the 81 of yours let me know and Ill see what I got. Im not sure of the trail names right off hand but I have a trails book at home. When I get off work Ill look them up and see if you have any good ones around your area.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Yeah I'll make the drive up north it doesn't matter. I've also heard that around tuscon there's some trails. Alright I'll let you know about the parts. Don't know how much I can actually use the guy before me was making it a project and he swapped the 22re engine the tranny and t care that was attached to it into the 81. Which is what I wanted to go cause I wanted the fuel injection in a first gen. So saved me some hassel worked out well.

And about the trials thanks man yeah just post up some names and general area I'll look them. its stock height for now till I get some money. It has 32's though. What's your rig?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 PM

What types of trails are you looking for?

Table Mesa and Florence Junction offer all sorts of trails from a easy dirt road to some difficult rock trails.

I would suggest picking up the Charles Wells 4x4 Trail book for AZ.

Start with checking out Crown King Trail, Desoto Mine, FR41 (Table mesa EAST), Tip Top Mine area, Sycamore Creek, Hackberry Creek and Coke Ovens.

Those are all easier to moderate trails. If you can, be sure to get at least another vehicle to go with as well. You will find many of the trails here in AZ are remote and many times you wont see another vehicle/person. A good spare tire, tow strap, tools and a hi lift jack with some chain go a long way to keep you out of trouble.

Tucson has some nice trails, but there are plenty north and east of PHX to keep you exploring for a long time.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:06 PM

I have an 83 pickup 4x4, pretty much stock besides the webber carb. Im running 33-12.50 swampers, 4.37 gears, 2 inch BL. Bobbed bed In the process of putting a set of rears up front, and hysteer. Just waiting till the 1st as its my next pay check so I can finish it. Lots of other things im doing to it but gotta wait for the checks to come in. I am on a set schedule and so far everything is going as planned. Id say in about 1-1.5 months Ill be ready to wheel...
Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 PM

Thanks for that guide westy I'll definitely pick that up. Yeah I have some other buddies that are getting into it too. I've done the crown king trial with a buddy in his jeep a few weeks ago and I've rode my dirtbike althrough table mesa.
I've been reading a lot of here about recovery and things to bring so I'm going to make sure I'm prepared. I appreicate all the help and info on this site. Any trials you recommend for my stock truck?

And crazy your rig sounds sweet, when I lift mine I'm definitly putting hy steer, 4" of lift still weighting all my options on lifts, and 33's. But before I lift it trial armor, gears, and lockers are coming first. Open diffs don't get your far lol.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM

I would recommend checking out this area. It has some great mountains, perennial creek and alot to see. Take I-17 north of PHX. Take Table Mesa exit east, it turns dirt into FR 41. Stay on this trail for a good ways until you come to FR24. At this junction you can go south towards Seven Springs and then down into Cave Creek. This is the shorter route or the way I prefer is when you get to FR24, go NORTH. Take this up to Bloody basin road. Then from there go west a short distance and then take a quick right and go north on FR16. This will take you north, up towards Childs and the Verde River. Continue along FR16 for a good distance. Look for a turnoff near Houston Creek, a left hand turn. FR57, it is easy to miss. Take this to 68G. Go left up the Verde Rim/Pine Mountain, this is where there is one spot that will offer a slight 4x4 challenge, continue on towards the old town of Dugas, AZ. Stay on this road and it will take you to I-17.

You will cross a couple creeks on FR41, some of which will probably have water. It is a relatively easy dirt road and is great for a stock 4x4. FR57 and 68G may have a couple tougher spots but stock Toyota 4x4 will do good.

*This can be a long trail, especially if you decide to take the northern route up through Dugas so be sure to have a FULL tank of gas and an extra 5gal is not a bad thing to have*

Pick up a Tonto National forest map and Delorme Atlas - these are very valuable!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:11 PM

Westy, thanks for the info on the trials. I'll pick up that guide and tonto book. Sounds like a fun trial for my first drive. I've been wheelin but I've never drove my own truck. I've been camping in seven springs before.

I appreciate the help.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 PM

I forgot I let my Dad borrow the book, I will be going over there this weekend so I will get it then.

Here is the link to the book I bought if your interested.

http://www.4x4books.com/ab.htm
Old 09-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the link crazyeye That's exactly what I'm lookin for.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is another:
http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Ad.../dp/0966567501

It's a bit more oriented to Mom and Pop going out in the big ole 'burban but it still has plenty of good ideas. You can find them from time to time at Costco or Sam's at quite a bit off the cover price. Welcome to YT.

Mike
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks mike. I appreicate the link.

Thanks for welcoming me in. I love the site. Its helped me figuring out a lot of my questions. And the search function is easy, I don't see why people don't use it first.

Anyways do any of you az yotatech guys ever meet up for a run? Just curious cause in a few months when my rig is more trial ready I'd be interested in hitting up the trials with you guys.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes there are some of us that go out. We used to post here a lot but had a lot of folks saying they would come out and not show, so much time was wasted waiting at the meeting point for nothing. I'll try to let you know when I do something next. For now, I'm likely out of the game for a couple weeks since I have something else going on.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Yes there are some of us that go out. We used to post here a lot but had a lot of folks saying they would come out and not show, so much time was wasted waiting at the meeting point for nothing.
x2....
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM

x2 on the charles wells book. Its an absolutly awesome resource. Tucson has some great trails, a lot of them are rated difficult. The gap is probably the worst of them all. My local forum does it 2 or 3 times a month. All day affair, bring extra parts.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Hey im down in tucson too and there are lots of great trails. Ive just got into 4wheelin and have ran a few trails i probably shouldnt have being completely stock and all, but there are lots of great trails and the scenery makes everything ten times better.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:36 AM

i'll be getting that charles wells book here soon. i finally got the truck running and i need to rebuild the front axle as it is leaking bad. would any of you recommend the marlin knuckle service kit? or any other ones?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:34 PM

i miss fr42

but they all got the good ones down.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by 81yotalove
i'll be getting that charles wells book here soon. i finally got the truck running and i need to rebuild the front axle as it is leaking bad. would any of you recommend the marlin knuckle service kit? or any other ones?
Marlin and All Pro knuckle service kits are good.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Hiya everybody,

I'm also looking for some good trails around Tucson. I'm up on the NW side, near Oro Valley. Where are you guys located?

Quick Reply: az trails