North Carolina North Carolina Chapter

need engine for 1992 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need engine for 1992 4runner

Hi everyone! I'm not sure if this is the place where my son found his info, but if so, please help me!! (Of course I'm his mom who knows nothing about cars!) 😕
My son LOVED his 4runner and wanted to get it fixed and was looking for a motor (he overheated it and we were told he blew the heads/has a cracked something). He was saving money to fix it and we wer e going to half the cost with him.
Anyway, after messing up his truck and different chains of events that were affecting him, he took his own life on April 12, 2015 at only 20yrs old. I now feel attached to his truck and I'd really like to fix it up in memory of him and also to have a piece of him that he loved so much. It's nothing fancy by any means, but I "need" it, but...I'm a hardworking woman like most of us who's always broke with another child, so my budget is limited to what I can afford.
He told me he had found someone in our area (or close to us) that would come to our house with a rebuilt engine, take the old one out and install the rebuilt one.
If any of you know what or who in the world I'm talking about, would you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know? This means a lot to me!
Thank you in advance for any info or guidance in helping me.
Sincerely from Forrest's mom,
Holly
Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.

It would help to know your location.

Hopefully someone can help.

Good luck with the project.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:25 PM

if you are looking for an engine i have a pretty badass 22RE i could sell you. im not sure whats in the 4runner now so that information would help. Anyways, pm me if youre interested, it has brand new internals and LCE performance parts.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Thank you. I'm in wilmington n.c.

[QUOTE=donomite49;52286240]Sorry to hear about your loss.

Good luck with the project.[/QUOTE
Old 08-27-2015, 07:09 PM

I'm not sure what all of that means about the numbers and letters. I can find out what's in it now and let you know. I don't need anything fancy, just so it runs and gets me to his favorite spot in the woods by the river every now and then.

Originally Posted by mreagen
if you are looking for an engine i have a pretty badass 22RE i could sell you. im not sure whats in the 4runner now so that information would help. Anyways, pm me if youre interested, it has brand new internals and LCE performance parts.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 PM

Thank you for your condolences. I'm in Wilmington NC.

Originally Posted by donomite49
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Good luck with the project.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by hollypots
I'm not sure what all of that means about the numbers and letters. I can find out what's in it now and let you know. I don't need anything fancy, just so it runs and gets me to his favorite spot in the woods by the river every now and then.
Basically we need to know whether it is a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder engine. Toyota engines are cheap and bulletproof reliable, so no worries there.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:40 AM

Basically we need to know whether it is a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder engine. Toyota engines are cheap and bulletproof reliable, so no worries there.
It's a 6 cylinder. (Thank you all for putting up with me!) 😕
Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 AM

It's a 6 cylinder. (Thank you all for putting up with me!) dde15
Its not uncommon for those V6 motors to have head gasket issues. They are actually toyotas worst engine ever made unfortunately. I wouldnt replace it with another V6 if I were you, I would throw in a 4cyl. The 22RE motors will go to 400k miles easily and are toyotas most reliable engine. Where are you located because I can find a shop near you that will swap it for you.

Also, is it a manual or automatic?
Old 08-30-2015, 11:11 AM

Its not uncommon for those V6 motors to have head gasket issues. They are actually toyotas worst engine ever made unfortunately. I wouldnt replace it with another V6 if I were you, I would throw in a 4cyl. The 22RE motors will go to 400k miles easily and are toyotas most reliable engine. Where are you located because I can find a shop near you that will swap it for you.

Also, is it a manual or automatic?
It's an automatic 6cylinder. I really don't mind what goes in it as long as it works and it's done properly.
I just miss seeing his truck and hearing it pull up...and his (our) dog would get so excited when she heard him come home. She knows who everyone is by the sound of their vehicle. It's just a sad situation. I would love to have some help in getting his truck fixed....just to feel him again and ride around with "him" when I have my moments. Any help on ideas or suggestions from anyone would be so greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:31 PM

You can get a rebuilt 3.0 V6 like the one that's in the truck with a warranty for a couple grand.

Just have to find a reputable mechanic to change them out.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:25 PM

It's an automatic 6cylinder. I really don't mind what goes in it as long as it works and it's done properly. I just miss seeing his truck and hearing it pull up...and his (our) dog would get so excited when she heard him come home. She knows who everyone is by the sound of their vehicle. It's just a sad situation. I would love to have some help in getting his truck fixed....just to feel him again and ride around with "him" when I have my moments. Any help on ideas or suggestions from anyone would be so greatly appreciated.
where are you located? I will do some research and find a good mechanic in your area to get the job done for you. Ill also keep my eyes out for a good engine for you.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
You can get a rebuilt 3.0 V6 like the one that's in the truck with a warranty for a couple grand.

Just have to find a reputable mechanic to change them out.
I don't really have that much money to spend. More than likely I'll have to start putting a few dollars away every week if it's gonna cost that much. My only living child needs to eat and we gotta keep a roof over our heads. I trust in God that things will work out and I can get her running again one day. Thank you for your reply.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:08 PM

You can look at salvage yards for an engine for less, but the warranty will be limited.

You can also try to find a local shop or mechanic that will find and install an engine with a warranty from a salvage yard.

Be careful who you deal with, you don't want to make a mistake.