Post Your Tests Here Use this sectin for testing your signature files, and for testing pictures/avatars

Help. Me. 94 22re factory temp gauge randomly climbs and returns to norm.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. Me. 94 22re factory temp gauge randomly climbs and returns to norm.

Just pickup up a 94 std. Cab with 22re
I looked at a few trucks and they were all ˟˟˟˟˟ so I settled knowing something was up. During pre purchase I found little copper/ gold flakes in radiator but the engine runs smooth with good power. body and interior are in very good shape, no smoke, no leaks.. so I bought it, factoring in I'd probably be getting the head shaved, new head bolts, etc.
first thing I did was take it to my smog guy, to sniff the radiator for HC's .. we had 0-3 ppm and a quick reading of 6ppm so my smog guy said absolutely the headgasket is fine or the copper additive is doing a great job, which he didn't think was very likely.
it has never over heated on Me and there may have been a slight leak from water pump via wheep hole..(smog guy says there is But he was a little goofy and didn't really diagnose it + I haven't lost any Coolant in 2 months. Looks like I have very old or all original water pump, radiator etc. Truck has 204k on odometer.
Problem is; my temp, shortly after warm up will climb to half way and a tad bit over half and then go right back to normal about twice a day. But most of the time it's perfectly normal. And these are all in cold conditions. Night time or early morning. Or I probably wouldn't question it.
if any One has experienced this I'd be very happy to hear the cause and fix.
my assumption is air bubbles, or thermostat being weird because of copper flakey crap and that the guy I got truck from was putting the copper in as preventative maintenance because he did alot of little odd things to make the truck "nicer" and didn't seem very mechanical..
you can also contact me on Facebook my name is kurtis Denny and I'm from Santa rosa, ca. Should be the only kurtis Denny in the area .. lol

if you're interested I've used bell tech leafs, 4inch blocks, bobbed it 14 inches and my wheels are 15x10 with 195/55's

Last edited by Kurtisdenny; 11-26-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 AM

Sounds like you have a short in your temp gauge circuit. check the wire going to your gauge sending temperature sensor at the front of the block on the intake side. It should be a single pin connector.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:52 AM

I would also recommend changing the water pump and timing chain. if your leaking water from the wheep hole then your pump bearing is going out. The hole is designed to leak when the bearing is going bad to let the driver know that its goin band and needs replacement. You may also want to consider a full flush of your cooling system. The copper flakes your talking about could very well be the pump bearing material shedding off into the system causing the temperature gauge to find an easier path the ground. thus causing the temp to go up a bit higher than normal. lastly, you're going to want to check your thermostat, your thermostat could be getting stuck in the closed position for a longer period of time then its supposed to because of the copper flakes in the system. copper is a very soft metal so it would just take a few more degrees to overcome the metal jamming it up.

That's all I got as of right now with the info provided, hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:00 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
This?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ge-fix-271152/