Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winching Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by swapped89
I just installed my new WARN 8000 and have a question. Should i leave the motor running while winching, the book said not to. but i think it would help keep from draining the battery.
I think you may have misread it. If you do find that it does say to turn off your vehicle while winching I'm not to proud to admit I'm wrong. When you winch under a heavy load you can drain a battery dead in less than 15 minutes. A winch under a heavy load will pull the battery voltage low and therefore make the alternator work hard. There is a low risk of burning your alternator out but it's small and uncommon. You also make the alternator work hard if it has to recharge a dead battery so you are not saving the alternator by winching with the engine off. Regular car batteries like to stay topped off. So if you do decide to run your winch with the engine off you are also shortening the life of your battery more than if the vehicle is running. Even the optima yellow tops prematurely lose life when you drain the battery low.

Originally Posted by Johannes
So to go along with this, I have a Warn 800 on my Runner and it's kind of beat up, and been exposed to the elements for a long time. I picked up the truck a couple of months ago and it's been used before (the line is crap, fraying in places).

Anyone ever changed a winch line? Cant be that hard right?
It's not hard steel or otherwise. Synthetic is much easier to handle. Splicing is not complicated although I'd recommend practicing it a few times before relying on it. Neatness counts on the splice. Remember to condition your steel line by making sure there is a small load on the line when spooling it for the first time. Remember to get a rock guard for your synthetic if you go that route.

Originally Posted by Johannes
Wait, I've seen those on Ebay, but like climbing rope, doesn't it degrade when exposed to sunlight?
Sure can. It's important to make sure it's been treated for UV resistance. Technora for example loses 50% of it's strength in 1.5 months if it's untreated. Even treated they lose 50% strength when exposed to the sun for 3 months. So whether you go with technora (Tech 12) or Amsteel Blue you should cover your lines. This includes the area of exposed rope around your thimble/hook.

Amsteel Blue is the most popular but it can lose half it's line strength if the drum gets warm at 160 F° and the drums commonly do get that warm. Technora loses half it's strength at 450 F°. Something else to consider is that although you tend to get little cuts on your hand with steel it doesn't mind rocks like synthetics do. I prefer synthetics because it's easier to handle but it does take more care and paying attention than steel.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-25-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
In many cases, it will kill the tree. If you cut through the bark on a significant portion of the circumfrence, the tree will die. I think it's called ringing the tree.
that is correct.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At the moment I have no choice. There is a short somewhere in my system and whenever i use the winch my engine dies. But having the engine running while winching seems like a better idea to me.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you need to figure it out before ever using the winch again... kinda hard to get off the trail with your entire electrical system burned down!