Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird ARB problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weird ARB problem

Symptoms - front won't lock BUT it doesn't leak air. Rear locks fine. When I say it doesn't leak, I mean like NO air - can leave the locker "locked" for a LONG time and the compressor doesn't run.

Checked and air is definitely getting TO the diff (unhooked the bulkhead fitting and had good flow out the air line).

When I undid the air line, there was a significant quantity of diff oil in the line.

I know I'm committed to pulling the diff (at least the cover, anyways), just wondering if anyone has seen this before and what spare parts I should have.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a same but different problem.

The original gear set up on my ARB was terrible. There was a lot of play. What this play allowed to happen was the collar leading to the air line of the diff would actually flex... and cause one of the two o-rings to fail under load. Once the o-ring failed, oil would start up the airline.

But, my o-ring failure led to a always running compressor and no ARB activation.

Could it be possible that oil has made it past your o-rings and has some how filled the air passages inside. Meaning, no leak... but air against oil (so to speak). Almost as if the locker can't move. In effect, hydrolocked.

Just brainstorming a bit here.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Yeah, that's kinda our leading theory ... that or the copper line got into the ring gear and crimped off
Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any report on what happened?
Old 04-16-2008, 12:22 PM
tc
Contributing Member

No, haven't pulled the diff yet - maybe this weekend
Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Symptoms - front won't lock BUT it doesn't leak air. Rear truck part locks fine. When I say it doesn't leak, I mean like NO air - can leave the locker "locked" for a LONG time and the compressor doesn't run.

Checked and air is definitely getting TO the diff (unhooked the bulkhead fitting and had good flow out the air line).

When I undid the air line, there was a significant quantity of diff oil in the line.

I know I'm committed to pulling the diff (at least the cover, anyways), just wondering if anyone has seen this before and what spare parts I should have.
Is it possible if the problem is the O-ring?? have you checked it?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read a piece just the other day that described step by step how determine what failed w/o pulling it apart to look & I can't find it for the life of me but I assure you the info is out there & google found it for me once. I'll keep looking for the article & I'll post it up if I find it again.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Hate to bring up a dead thread but I have searched & I can't find what I was looking for when I last posted in an attempt to help TC & now my rear ARB will not engage even though air is getting to it & it isn't leaking.

It worked when I tested it in the truck the first time. Now, the second time I tried to lock it in it won't. I tried moving the truck back & forth I even jacked it up & turned the wheels by hand. I didn't notice any oil in the air line...any ideas? Trash in the fitting? What did you discover TC?

EDIT: Never mind as far as my problem is concerned as it turned out to be a simple matter of being new to air lockers, false assumptions made & the fact that the blue nylon air line will melt & seal itself air-tight on the exhaust better than a person could do it if they were trying to. Long story but I figure the reader gets what happened in a nut shell.

Last edited by Brenjen; 06-30-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 AM

I feel a little vindicated; turns out my problem was only half me & my melted/sealed shut air line - the other half is an intermittent ARB relay

The damnable thing is only brand new...not sure why I'd expect it to work. But it's sticking; when it was connected to my rear line it would only come on here & there & usually when the front was engaged (change in air pressure I suppose) so I switched it to the front & now my rear works great but the front will only work about half the time.

P.S. I'm aware of the front lock out safety mechanism - this has nothing to do with it. If someone searches this maybe it'll help them.

EDIT: tested, still not working 100% on the rear - me thinks ARB's solenoids are hit & miss; glad I have two manual switches sitting here. Good-bye electronic switches.

Last edited by Brenjen; 07-01-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Sorry - never posted the cause and fix!

Turns out the bonded seal was stuck in the retracted position. With A LOT of help from AxleIke, we tore the carrier apart and by blowing air directly into it at pretty high pressure, we were able to get it unstuck, cleaned up, and put back together - been working great since then!

Brenjen - if you're having a problem with ARB parts, give them a call and get new ones! They take customer satisfaction very seriously, and will do just about anything to make you happy!