Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper control arm rubbing on 285 MT/R

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ASU4runner
I just finished steve's setup with the following:

Front- ARB/OME N91S Firm
'99 Toyota coils (48131-35400 & 48131-35350)
2" Cornbred spacers

I have 285/75/16 Goodyear MT/R's.

On the first test drive with this setup, I noticed rubbing in turns. I saw how close the inner sidewall of the tires was to the upper control arm and determined that to be the source. I have seen the replacement control arm that is narrower in diameter to clear these bigger tires but I can't afford it right now. Does anyone know if it's safe to grind down enough of the upper control arm to prevent rubbing?
When I had 285's I had the same problem but it was mainly due to wheel back spacing. The a arm can be ground but just do a little at a time, like others have said go to far and you will have to add a bead of weld to it.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:50 AM

Anyone elsee wonder if the rubbing is coming from someplace OTHER than the a-arms. 285s shouldn't rub there, but if they did, wouldn't they rub all the time (not just in turns)?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
Also, have you got your truck aligned yet? If you have positive camber, this will increase your rubbing. usually when the front end is lifted, it shifts the camber positive. get it aligned to something like -0.3 to -0.5 camber (still within specs) and this should eliminate most of your street rubbing.
When the tires were installed, I asked them to align the front as well. They came to me with some news that I felt was b/s. They said they couldn't do an alignment because my steering rack was shot. That it wasn't safe to drive like it was. I told them to wait on the steering rack and i would check it out later.. still no alignment. Ok, I have no leaks coming from that area, no vibration in the steering, or clunks in the steering whatsoever. Everything feels as good as new as far as that goes. And its been about a month now and still seems fine.

Alignment doesn't appear to be off at all as far as left/right pull. The camber/caster may be off though. I have a guy back in my hometown that will do alignments for cheap since he knows my family. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome after an alignment.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had TC uniball a-arms on my Taco PreRunner and I did have some noise from the uniball clunking, sqeeking and notice there where marks in the hi-mis spacers showing they where being maxed out before the suspension. I ended up returning them and put on the Inland Trux upper arm(and saved $240.). I have never had any ball joints wear out. or grease oosing. At Inland Trucks they said they changed the ball joint angle slightly to keep them from wearing out and to work better with the travel. But the uniballs are stronger I just felt I didn't need them.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
As far as I know, nobody has posted about having problems with the UNIBALL and from personal experience; I've been running them for almost a year, considering mine go through a wide variety of conditons mostly at work and they are constantly getting muddy, that plus the fact I work near the ocean so being in the corrosive salty environment would accelerate rusting, none of this has happened, to date they show no signs of any type of wear.

They are far superior to the stock ball joint, that is prone to failure from damage due to over-extention or the boot leaking grease. Considering that there is no maintnance needed for the uniball, that includes lubrication, since it has a Teflon lining. Then the cost to replace a uniball, if it ever does wear out, is cheaper and easier.

If you want to get an expert opinion, contact Donahoe and ask him which is better, here's a quote from one of his post about the stock length A-arms;

BTW I'm currently doing a test, just to see how long they will last, without any kind of maintnance, except washing off the dirt with water. It's my DD and I also use it on our jobsite, so it's driven offroad most every day. Oh, did I say I have had ZERO problems with the uniballs and there has been no issues with rust?
I agree with you about the uniball being stronger but one thing Donahoe does not mention is that by putting a ball joint pivot point 2" above stock will change the ball joint inclination angle and this would be a bad thing since you would not be sticking with stock geomentry. The best set up I think for a stocker would be the Inland Trucks upper a-arm( has the most tire clearance ) with the Donahoe/Total Chaos coilover shock this set up gets a little over 10" of real travel and retains stock geomentry. Another thing to keep in mind is there is not nearly the same stress put on the 96' newer Yota's upper ball joint like the earlier trucks that had the torsion working off of it causing more wear. So why spend $600 plus on uniball a-arm when a stock ball joint will last along time when put through normal conditions ( not racing or jumping ) And how many ball joints can you buy for $600, more than you will ever need and a lifetime. If your going to go extreme go long travel.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RaceTaco
Donahoe does not mention is that by putting a ball joint pivot point 2" above stock will change the ball joint inclination angle and this would be a bad thing since you would not be sticking with stock geomentry. The best set up I think for a stocker would be the Inland Trucks upper a-arm( has the most tire clearance )
Moving the pivot point higher doesn't affect the inclination angle the way you think and raising the roll center is a positive effect, besides once you lift your vehicle, your changing the stock geometry, the aftermarket A-arms correct the inclination angle.

The Uniball design arms, pivot at the A-arm and not the spindle, the tire won't rub against them at all, they'll come in contact with the spindle first, so saying the Inland arms have more tire clearance is a myth.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Moving the pivot point higher doesn't affect the inclination angle the way you think and raising the roll center is a positive effect, besides once you lift your vehicle, your changing the stock geometry, the aftermarket A-arms correct the inclination angle.

The Uniball design arms, pivot at the A-arm and not the spindle, the tire won't rub against them at all, they'll come in contact with the spindle first, so saying the Inland arms have more tire clearance is a myth.
Isn't the ball joint inclination angle a line drawn from the upper ball joint through the lower ball joint to the center of the tire patch and if you raised or lowered any of those pivot points you would be changing the inclination angle.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Scottz
Isn't the ball joint inclination angle a line drawn from the upper ball joint through the lower ball joint to the center of the tire patch and if you raised or lowered any of those pivot points you would be changing the inclination angle.
I assumed he was talking about the physical angle the ball joint was mounted at and not the affect on scrub radius of the steering. Since the ball joint is still in the same plane as the stock joint, there is no noticable effect, as there would be if you changed the offset on your wheels or by going to a different size tire.

Raising or lowering the pivot points have no effect on the steering inclination angle, that is a fixed angle on the factory spindles. The way you measure this is by drawing a line between the upper and lower ball joints and another line center line of the tire. The angle produced is your steering inclination angle, which determines what your scrub radius is.

Last edited by BruceTS; 10-21-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Banned

Why not just get some 16x8 wheels w/ a 4.50" backspacing (Like my LX450 Wheels or aftermarket) and you won't rub w/ 285's?

That way, you can get steelies for $250-$300, then sell your OEM wheels and get close to breaking even.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
Are you sure that's the rubbing you're noticing. You say it is "at turns" that you notice it - to me sounds more like the rubbing on the frame wich I think almost everyone has experienced going to 285's
the way the stock A-arm pivots in the ball joint cause the tire to come closer the further it droops, so it can just miss rubbing at normal ride height, but during a turn the one side droops and rubs.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ASU4runner
I just finished steve's setup with the following:

Front- ARB/OME N91S Firm
'99 Toyota coils (48131-35400 & 48131-35350)
2" Cornbred spacers

I have 285/75/16 Goodyear MT/R's.

On the first test drive with this setup, I noticed rubbing in turns. I saw how close the inner sidewall of the tires was to the upper control arm and determined that to be the source. I have seen the replacement control arm that is narrower in diameter to clear these bigger tires but I can't afford it right now. Does anyone know if it's safe to grind down enough of the upper control arm to prevent rubbing?
You could add a 1/4" wheel spacer and it would help keep the tires from rubbing and if you lift your truck it norrows the front track width and the spacer will help gain it back(1/2") and the spacers are cheap($12). Even though there not recommended for off road (for liabillity)many off road shops sell them and I've seen them on race trucks too.