Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF/Chevy 63s (85 4runner)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bugzman
85 4runners have almost exactly the same truck as the pickup. they just look different on top. but underneath they are identical.

RUF is a harded to do then the chevys, because you have steering and limits space to move mounts forward, most people will buy a lift kit for the front. but those are pricey and can ride like a poop. RUF is for the guy with a little bit of fabrication ability to get more flex and a little bit of lift for very little cash.

63 chevys has some options too. like scotty ( the guy who started this thread ) is running on a 2 pack, while i have a 3 pack in on my pickup. its all about opinion.

go grab some springs from the junkyard. spend day cleaning them up. and throw them under the truck. you dont like the way they ride, pull them back out switch up the packs throw them back in.

Happy fabbing!
id say either way you need fab skills to do this and neither is harder then the other. With RUF its smart(i think needed?) to switch to high steer with a newer ifs truck steering box moved forward. But even if high steer is not needed its a HUGE improvement over stock steering. With 63s you need to either buy a kit and weld new spring hangers on or make your own. Either way with both of these spring choices you need to be able to weld/fab.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM

my buddy is a pretty damn good welder and im starting to get a hang of it, so i think ill be fine on that notion but i guess ill be makin a trip to the good ole junk yard this week end huntin for treasure
Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM

4runner looks sick! nice build.

Last edited by migrig854runner; 04-15-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that thing flexes GREAT! Looks great!, and i like how low it rides normal. I would like my 85 to be like that! Tis what I am going for. fairly low ride height, and awesome flex! I love budget inspiration! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM

i just finished my 63" swap i fabbed everything aside from the rear shackle hanger which i got from sky manufacturing i wish i could get some pictures up my file size is too big.
it was super easy after i was done fabbing everything it only took about an hour to weld it on and bolt it up and bleed brakes. but i had to sleeve my frame with 2x3x1/4" because it had been bobbed to far.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 PM

For the rears upfront did you keep the shackle mounts right under the body mount and mover the hanger forward? or what? Im doing an SAS and am using RUF.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 PM

S**t nevermind it is an 85....already had the hanger! lol Sorry...its late and im kinda tired haha
Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Do you have to do high steer to do ruf?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

nice looking runner
Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM

You dont absolutly need high steer, but in order to keep your stock steering you either need to modify the drag link or move your axle back to the stock location which kind of defeats the purpose of doing RUF
Old 11-20-2011, 09:31 PM

please tell me what bushings and where u get them when u do ruf with 84-88 rear leaf spring packs, the one large eye makes it so i cant find the bushing i need. i have stock front spring hanger
Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jaden84
please tell me what bushings and where u get them when u do ruf with 84-88 rear leaf spring packs, the one large eye makes it so i cant find the bushing i need. i have stock front spring hanger
it depends. do you want to use the sleeve or not? because stock rears use a sleeve in the front eye with 14mm bolt and the rear eye uses no sleeve and an 18mm bolt.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Refferring to the Chevy springs, Are you guys useing the 3/4 ton 2wd springs , the 1/2 ton 2wd springs or the 4wd 3/4 ton or 4wd 1/2 ton springs and what lift do any of these combo's give you. soooo many choices.

Last edited by Actonranch; 01-16-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this thread is pretty darn old but, how did you use the stock front hanger?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey since we're reviving old threads here, I have a question too....

I got a pair of chevies and the unused SKY kit almost 2 years ago. Then I got a welder. Now I'm finally thinking about doing the swap. Thing is, I drilled out the old chevy bushings and went to NAPA to get new ones...only to learn that the eyes in the springs I got are DIFFERENT sizes (!). Everything else looks right: 2.5" width, 62.5" eye to eye and symmetrical, etc.....I can't reach the guy I bought them from but was wondering if any of you who'd done Chevy swaps came across the eyes/bushings being different sizes on Chevys?? And if so, what bushings to use?

thx
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Philbert
Hey since we're reviving old threads here, I have a question too....

I got a pair of chevies and the unused SKY kit almost 2 years ago. Then I got a welder. Now I'm finally thinking about doing the swap. Thing is, I drilled out the old chevy bushings and went to NAPA to get new ones...only to learn that the eyes in the springs I got are DIFFERENT sizes (!). Everything else looks right: 2.5" width, 62.5" eye to eye and symmetrical, etc.....I can't reach the guy I bought them from but was wondering if any of you who'd done Chevy swaps came across the eyes/bushings being different sizes on Chevys?? And if so, what bushings to use?

thx
Not sure but if you dont want to deal with the bushings, you can give everything to me, for free
Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by '85 Yota
I know this thread is pretty darn old but, how did you use the stock front hanger?
If you haven't started this yet. I re-enforced my front hanger with a small plate, covering up the original pin (held in with two bolts). I then drilled through that and used the appropriate sized bolt. Has worked well for a few years with no signs of anything bad happening.

I'm searching through these threads because I did a 3L diesel swap and noticed my front springs are starting to sit negative. I'm thinking of adding some leaves from the old fronts to get a slight amount of arch back.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 PM

well since this threads already been brought back from the dead......couple questions. I've been reading up like crazy on doing this swap, still got some questions though. Got an 85 runner stock. stock springs sit negative when parked, rides like ˟˟˟˟. Ive literally hit my head on the roof going over bumpy roads...I'm broke as a joke and shouldn't be spending money on this truck but I drive it to work every day down bumpy dirt roads and im fed up with the ride....junk yard has all the 63" springs and toy packs to swap in for cheap..I can fab the front hanger easy for the chevy spring. I know i can use a double shackle for the rear hanger but I cant afford to buy them, I can just move the rear hanger back and run a fabbed single shackle to the spring? I didnt see a picture but it sounds like thats what the original poster did...can I use the stock shackle hanger moved back? or will I need to fab new ones....can I also re-use the stock ubolts with a new plate?

RUF...obviously the rear toy springs move the axle 2" forward, will the drive shaft reach? I cant afford to get a new one or fab the old one. also I'm going to have to keep stock push/pull steering for now..when tax season rolls around I'll put hy-steer on, but to keep it i just have chop 2 inches off the pitman arm correct? how long of a shackle should I run?

Will my brake lines all around be long enough?

are there any shocks i can pull from the junkyard that will work for the time being till i can get some rancho 5012's?

Hoping to keep the whole job around $100 for now...springs are going to come out to $64 for a pair of 63's and yota 48s..should be able to find all the metal laying around for hangers...any ideas how to do the basic swap for hella cheap? Am I crazy for expecting to be able to do this for this cheap?

Sorry for the noob questions...

Last edited by thestreaker; 10-31-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by thestreaker
well since this threads already been brought back from the dead......couple questions. I've been reading up like crazy on doing this swap, still got some questions though. Got an 85 runner stock. stock springs sit negative when parked, rides like ˟˟˟˟. Ive literally hit my head on the roof going over bumpy roads...I'm broke as a joke and shouldn't be spending money on this truck but I drive it to work every day down bumpy dirt roads and im fed up with the ride....junk yard has all the 63" springs and toy packs to swap in for cheap..I can fab the front hanger easy for the chevy spring. I know i can use a double shackle for the rear hanger but I cant afford to buy them, I can just move the rear hanger back and run a fabbed single shackle to the spring? I didnt see a picture but it sounds like thats what the original poster did...can I use the stock shackle hanger moved back? or will I need to fab new ones....can I also re-use the stock ubolts with a new plate?

RUF...obviously the rear toy springs move the axle 2" forward, will the drive shaft reach? I cant afford to get a new one or fab the old one. also I'm going to have to keep stock push/pull steering for now..when tax season rolls around I'll put hy-steer on, but to keep it i just have chop 2 inches off the pitman arm correct? how long of a shackle should I run?

Will my brake lines all around be long enough?

are there any shocks i can pull from the junkyard that will work for the time being till i can get some rancho 5012's?

Sorry for the noob questions...
first off dont run the double shackle. move the rear hanger as far back as you can and run some plate steel for the shackle. if you can use a grinder and drill some holes you can make them for almost free.
Ruf move the axle to far foward for stock steering and stock driveshaft. check out my build and you can see the progression of Chevys and stock from set up.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...thread-220527/
Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bugzman
first off dont run the double shackle. move the rear hanger as far back as you can and run some plate steel for the shackle. if you can use a grinder and drill some holes you can make them for almost free.
Ruf move the axle to far foward for stock steering and stock driveshaft. check out my build and you can see the progression of Chevys and stock from set up.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...thread-220527/
So since it seems Ruf might be out of the question..will wagoneer springs work with the stock drive shaft? their 22.5" same as the stock yotas right

Quick Reply: RUF/Chevy 63s (85 4runner)