Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's / Con's of Different Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro's / Con's of Different Lifts

Hey Guys,

I have read extensively in the archives here. I even did a google looking for a simple breakdown of the basics of coilovers. Lot's of sellers but not any explaination of the idea. I still have a few questions. Looking for a max of 3" of lift and will be doing moderate off road action.

1. I know the basic differences between spacers versus coilovers but I'm not sure how the coilover helps with lifting and the ride. Is it because the shock and coil are longer?

2. What are the benefits and disadvantages of coilovers versus spacers?

3. How many people are doing the diff drop and panhard bracket? I know the CV angles start out negative on the 4th gen and it appears that the concensus is that 3" of lift is fine. Does "fine" mean "no issues" or just less chance of issues? Also, I want to keep this as a daily driver and am want to keep good on road capabilitites.

Thanks in advance,

G3 Trout Runner
Old 11-24-2004, 07:28 AM

Thanks for your input. I like getting many different opinions of what can work.

G3 Trout Runner
Old 11-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Try taking a look at http://www.CustomTacos.com/tech/inde...v2&id=137&c=10 as well.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:11 AM

Humanoid,

Excellent link, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help.

G3 Trout Runner
Old 11-24-2004, 10:07 AM

One more question.

What does adding the lift do to the tire camber. Am I gonna be running on the edge if I lift it or is the suspension designed such that camber is largely unaffected?

G3 Trout Runner
Old 11-24-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, your camber will be affected. After I got my 2' spacers put in up front I had to get an alignment done. I think that with anything above 3" up front will require a diff drop up front if you have a 4X4... someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

It almost wise to do a diff drop with anything over 2" - The CVs are pretty suspect - for example if you were running a 2" lift and you installed the diff drop, the angles of the CVs would be almost reduced to stock -as someone else mentioned its cheap insurance.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by G3 Trout Runner
Hey Guys,

I have read extensively in the archives here. I even did a google looking for a simple breakdown of the basics of coilovers. Lot's of sellers but not any explaination of the idea. I still have a few questions. Looking for a max of 3" of lift and will be doing moderate off road action.

1. I know the basic differences between spacers versus coilovers but I'm not sure how the coilover helps with lifting and the ride. Is it because the shock and coil are longer?

2. What are the benefits and disadvantages of coilovers versus spacers?

3. How many people are doing the diff drop and panhard bracket? I know the CV angles start out negative on the 4th gen and it appears that the concensus is that 3" of lift is fine. Does "fine" mean "no issues" or just less chance of issues? Also, I want to keep this as a daily driver and am want to keep good on road capabilitites.

Thanks in advance,

G3 Trout Runner
Revtek is probably a good, inexpensive way to go for 3" since they include the rr shocks. Daystar gets a thumbs up from me.
Good Times (Lance) has been running SAW coilovers for a while so maybe you can PM him about it.
Calrockx (Charles) runs DR coilovers on his 3rd gen but you can also ask him about the difference over spacers- from someone who knows firsthand.

I would recommend PM'ing these two guys for some 1st hand knowledge.

I have been hearing alot of geat things about Donohoe's coilovers- if you want to go that route, DR is probably the best bet for the 4th gen.

No CV issues with what you want.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

'Hoes will cost ya an arm and a leg too... :grin: