Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some thinking for order of mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some thinking for order of mods

What is the best order in which to do mods?
I have a 4th Gen and put in a spacer lift (Daystsar) as a stop gap and some slighly bigger Revos (265/70/17 32"). I will be getting sliders soon as well. I have XREAS so if I upgrade the suspension I will toss the system.

I am planning to eventually replace the front and rear bumpers (tire carrier on the rear), better skids, upgrade to OME suspension with probably some spacers for extra lift, winch, and some 33" (dont laugh) A/Ts as it will still be my DD for a few years.

So where do I start, first do the bumpers, skids etc so the weight is settled before upgrading suspension and then finalize the tires? Or do I first do the suspension to make sure it can support the extra weight of the protection?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:06 AM

I would do skids and/or lift first, since they are going to have the greatest benefit off-road. Then do bumpers. The winch should be last, IMO.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I would do skids and/or lift first, since they are going to have the greatest benefit off-road. Then do bumpers. The winch should be last, IMO.
Thanx for the reply. I already have a spacer lift, so I was thinking to addd the skids, bumpers, etc to see how much hieght I loose and the do a proper lift accordingly.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Banned

i would agree -- do the skids, bumpers, etc. and that way you'll have a better idea of how much lift you'll need for the front and the rear, and can buy accordingly.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:17 PM

I think getting MT's isn't that big of a deal even if you are a DD. I have 33" firestone Destination MTs. They drive smooth and do make some noise but not too bad. It is worth it for the looks and performance!
Old 10-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Sliders should automatically be your first even before lifting it. But since you have a lift, get some sliders.

Then get some under armor protection.

Don't worry about the front/rear bumpers as they will severely eat up for lift. Once you get a decent suspension kit, then think about bumpers but until then don't bother. Both Michael and I lost ALOT of front end height from the front bumper. I lost more due to the added winch and 2nd battery so don't plan on this until you upgrade the front alot.

If you start doing more offroading, consider some beefier tires but do expect to do some trimming. (consider removing the swaybar too as that will diminish your offroading abilities).

Also, if you don't already have a compressor, add that to your list.

good luck!
Old 10-15-2004, 05:17 PM

*cough* locker *cough*

get some sliders definitely, bumpers can be replaced if they get FUBAR but rocker panels are another story

you can always trim unnecessary plastic from the bumpers to gain approach/departure angles
Old 10-16-2004, 05:52 AM

Yeah i can agree with sliders. When i went off roading at Tellico stock that was the one thing i really wished i had. Thankfully i had nerf bars and they saved me from any body damage, but they really took a beating.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Thanx for the input guys. Sliders are on my list right now, so hopefully I will get them soon

Lance you have demello skids right? I assume they cover the tranny pan as well?? Also do they hang lower than the current skids?

Last edited by bulldog-yota; 10-16-2004 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Demello does not have skids yet. I have a set of custom AZrain skids that are prototypes (like all my other stuff lol). These skids cover the tranny pan.

You guys gotta realize that the skids don't hang any lower than the stock ones. Therefore, if you guys are worried about lack of height, just abuse the skids and that's what they're there for

Good luck
Old 10-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
Demello does not have skids yet. I have a set of custom AZrain skids that are prototypes (like all my other stuff lol). These skids cover the tranny pan.

You guys gotta realize that the skids don't hang any lower than the stock ones. Therefore, if you guys are worried about lack of height, just abuse the skids and that's what they're there for

Good luck
Yeah easy for you, I'm not into the metal on rock symphonies yet
Old 10-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

It's not as bad you think. Also, just taking safer lines is all you need Of course that wouldn't apply if you come up to a ledge though

The skid I have is large enough that I it feels like a big belly plate so I can slide on rocks better (it works).

Hopefully there will be a full production mock up for it. The only gripe that everyone will have is that to do an oil change, you gotta take the entire skid off which is not easy (gotta use a floor jack to help leverage the skid).
Old 10-21-2004, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

You didn't have a locker on the list, but I'll echo Peter above. A locker will get you through alot of stuff without having to beat on your vehicle-drivetrain or sheet metal (making a ton of armor slightly less important). Spinning tires will slide you into rocks/trees/spotters, a locker will really help alot in getting you through obstacles without relying on so much momentum. This mostly depends on how much offroading you plan on doing. Its a hidden mod that won't make your truck look any prettier, but will quadruple your capabilities on the trail, regardless of how "hardcore" you want to be.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
You didn't have a locker on the list, but I'll echo Peter above. A locker will get you through alot of stuff without having to beat on your vehicle-drivetrain or sheet metal (making a ton of armor slightly less important). Spinning tires will slide you into rocks/trees/spotters, a locker will really help alot in getting you through obstacles without relying on so much momentum. This mostly depends on how much offroading you plan on doing. Its a hidden mod that won't make your truck look any prettier, but will quadruple your capabilities on the trail, regardless of how "hardcore" you want to be.
You bring up very valueble points. I forgot to mention lockers are on the wish list. However so far the ATRAC has done a reasonable job getting me where I wanted to go. Also lockers I view as somewhat of an independant mod, as it doesn't affect suspension like bumpers do.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Semi-independent, I think. For example, if you lift and go to 33 inch tires, you might want to regear at the same time you add a locker to the rear.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

The v8 has enough umph that he won't need to regear with 33's. But a locker would help though but I'd say some armor would be a good place to start first.

Locker would definitely be great when you really start offroading alot and get stuck alot but until then, some protection (sides/bottom) would help you out alot right now.

Here's my list of mods if I were to start over again: (in order)

sliders
skid plate
lift
tires
locker
bumper(front/rear) - depending on funds, bumpers might be a good idea as the stock 4th gen bumpers eat up too much approach/departure angle. (any hardcore stuff and it'll get torn up).

then all the other toys like winch/co2 tank or compressor etc etc.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Thanx for the input guys, now just to make sure all the $$ ar saved up.

Hopefully I will get the sliders soon, my running boards are a bit bruised, actually so are my bumpers.