Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My enlightening weekend (Pics included!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My enlightening weekend (Pics included!)

Well, spent the weekend adding a total of 6 new lights to the 4Runner- 2 55W reverse lights mounted to the top of the rear bumper, and 4 55W fog lights (two under the front bumper, and two mounted to the frame).

I had been wanting more light out back for a while. I didn't want to mount them underneath the bumper, for fear of ripping them off the very first offroading trip. Instead, I just drilled a hole up top to mount them. The reverse lights were cheap driving lights that were on sale at Schucks. They protrude out farther than I like, and may swap them out with narrower versions at somepoint.

Here are the reverse lights:
Attached Thumbnails My enlightening weekend (Pics included!)-lightscompilation.jpg  
Old 10-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

The rocklights were an idea I got from WATRD's Tacoma. I've seen these lights in action, and they are a great accessory when offroading at night. They allow you to see the terrain directly around the tire, something your headlights are useless for. It also helps spotters see whats going on underneath.
I mounted two up under my TJM, illuminating the front of the front tires, and two mounted on the frame lighting up the back tires. It was still light out when I took the pics, so the pictures aren't as impressive as when I checked them out later out. Anyways, I think it looks pretty cool, and is functional as well.
Attached Thumbnails My enlightening weekend (Pics included!)-rocklights1.jpg  
Old 10-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Another view:
Attached Thumbnails My enlightening weekend (Pics included!)-rocklights2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good David. How are you liking it?
Old 10-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

And finally, one more:
Attached Thumbnails My enlightening weekend (Pics included!)-rocklights3.jpg  
Old 10-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

I like them alot, but need to focus them a bit. I may switch out the bulbs for 100W at some point. It was a pain running the wire up and out of the way.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:28 AM

:pat: Thanks. Another mod to do. I really like the look of the lights, especially the rock lights. Are the back-ups much brighter. What kind of relay did you use and was this hard to wire up?
Old 10-07-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

All the lights came prewired with switches, so I didn't add in another relay. It was mostly a matter of splicing in wire, and running it up and out of the way. They draw power directly from a wire from the battery, and are turned on and off via a toyota factory switch in the cab after cutting off the factory switch.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:58 AM
TOR

I LIKE IT!

Do you have a write up on that mod?

Todd
Old 10-07-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Chemist
The rocklights were an idea I got from WATRD's Tacoma...
Dood... RIGHT ON! Those look wild!

(hey! someone help me catch my Visa card!)
Old 10-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Are your back-up lights wired to come on when you put your 4Runner in reverse as well as manually?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice. I was planning on doing the same with my stock hella fogs that are sitting in my stock bumper/valence in the attic. THe wiring and the switch are already there so I just need to get off my @ss.
I also have some reverse lights in back that I need to wire. How did you wire yours? I would like to have them wired to the existing back up lights but I would also like to be able to turn them on with a toggle. Is that even possible?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the kudos!

I haven't written it up yet, but will. I kept underestimating the amount of wire and plastic wire loom that I needed, so I ended with multiple splices in addition to the splices needed to connect the lights. I had a tendency to switch wire color as well when I ran out of either black or red, so when everything turned on, was amazed.

At the moment, the reverse lights are only set up with a manual switch in the cab. However, to get them to turn on with the reverse lights, I think you'd only need to run a wire from the positive reverse lights wire to the custom lights. The custom lights are already grounded to the frame. However, you'd be pulling alot of juice through the OEM reverse lights, so that might cause you trouble. I'm just going to keep them on manual, since the stock lights are good enough for most situations.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Check out this thread as a way to wire in your aux. back up lights so they are selectable, as well as tied to you stock back up lights.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Dangit! Now I have 4 more lights to buy/wire up...
I still have yet to wire up my aux back up lights I have on my load worrior. :pat:
I LOVE this pic of WATRD's truck on the mtn with the "rock lights" on. Great pic... Ever since then I wanted to mount some, but never got around to it, and always have other projects to do on the truck that are more important.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

It was not high on my priority list, but I saw the reverse lights on sale for 25 bucks, and the rocklights were only 15 dollars a pair from JC Whitney. Who knows how long they'll last, but since it wasn't an essential mod for me to do, I didn't want to spend the money to put PIAAs underneath and hardly every use them. So, I opted to try to keep the price down.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

I am sensing a night run in your immediate future David Want me to start inviting you on them as they happen? We will start you out slow and work up to Isabel and the Naches hehehe
Old 10-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by loosehead
Check out this thread as a way to wire in your aux. back up lights so they are selectable, as well as tied to you stock back up lights.
Hey Jayson,
Thanks for digging that one up. For some reason, I didn't come across it when I searched the other day. I went ahead and ordered that 3 way rocker switch that Jalaber suggested.

-Thanks
Tim
Old 10-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Hehehe, deefinitely Rob- I was wondering if you'd see this thread. I'm thinking 4 lights won't be enough, I think you had the right idea going with one on either side of the tire?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

I like it. I find that I look at the back of the front tire a lot when night wheeling for some reason, so it made sense to have light there.

Quick Reply: My enlightening weekend (Pics included!)