Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most common back spacing and body lift on a 92 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most common back spacing and body lift on a 92 Runner

OK, 1st of all, EXTREME NEWBIE ALERT! Not to wheeling, but new to Toy's. I've retired my Jeep for the summer for a well deserved rebuild and am planning on using the Toyota for some mild trail duties.
It's a 92 Medalist, V6/5 speed, loaded including leather and power roof, talk about being spoiled! I plan on doing a 2" body lift and running my 33x12.5 TrXus off my Jeep. The truck currently rolls on 32x11.50 BFG AT's with no clearance issues at all.
First off I saw someone's signature that says not to use the Performance Accessories body lift. Can anybody explain why? I'm in a time cruch as we aregoing to Paragon at the end of April and I'd like to bring the 'Runner in a little more then stock trim. I can get the Performance Accessories body lift in 2 days.
Second, what is the most common wheel back spacing to be used in this configuration? I've seen posts with numbers all over the place, I'd like to know what is the most common so I can get a price on some steel wheels I can mangle in PA.
Failing getting new wheels, would the 33x12.50's fit decently on the stock aluminum wheels? So many questions, so little time!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:06 AM

Anybody?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Used the PA Kit 3" Id recommend you get a body lift Kit from Roger Brown www.4crawler.com His kit is made better, better design and better quality.

The PA kit is CHEAP, cheap mounts, cheap hardware, the steering extenstion design is CRAP.

If you live in an area that see's salt, buy yourself some new poly body mounts, as EVERY bolt will be seized (most of mine seized inside the metal sleeve in the body mounts)

If you buy new body mounts you could get this lift done in a couple hours (comparied to a couple days) as you will just CUT the the old hardware and mount off. and replace with new

33 x 12.5 will fit no problems

If your looking for a little more lift or flex outta the IFS system on the cheap look up SDORI Ball joint spacers. This will give you 1.5" of lift up front than crank the t-bars for 2 to 2.5 inches of lift. sdori makes a rear coil spacers aswell ?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the reply Michael, yes, like you I am in Canada. We love to salt our Ontario roads, they taste better that way.
I've cruised your site and Roger's many times since getting the 'Runner 4 weeks ago. Problem is this little line on Roger's site:
"NOTE: 4Crawler Offroad and MissingLinkZ will be closed until the 16th of Apr, 2005. New orders may not ship until that time and e-mail response may be delayed. Stay tuned to this page for updates."
This is an issue as I will have no time to ship & install before I go to Paragon at the end of April.

Since I can get the PA kit quickly I may just have to opt for the junk now, and replace it later with on of Roger's. It's just money, right?

I 1st noticed the ball joint spacers yesterday while searching for my answers, they look interesting and will be aquired hopefully before the end of May. Who/What is this "sdori", remember, I'm a Toy newbie. Planned on just doing a 2" coil spacer, or maybe, just maybe a Downey 2" rear lift. This is a very light trail truck, so huge mods are not needed. But this is the way things always start, as we all know. LoL

Back to my wheel issue. Keep the stock aluminum, or get steel? If steel, what backspace is needed?

Terry

EDIT: OK, SDORI are the people who make the ball joint spacer. Not sure where I was reading about these earlier, Roger's site maybe? Does sdori have a website?

Last edited by Twinkie; 03-30-2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Stock wheels are 4.75" backspacing and I have that and other info on my web page:

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...it.shtml#FAQ10

If you don't believe the stock wheels are 4.75", here is how you can check yourself (photo of a 15x6 OEM steel wheel):

If you need a lift kit or ball joint spacers in a rush, I may be able to fit you in. Drop me an e-mail with your requirements and a date when you need them by and I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the info Roger. That wheel picture, is that an aluminum 8 spoke similar to:

If so, I thought they are 7" wide, Interco wants the minimum to be 8, would it cause that much of a problem (if at all)?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Roger can get you the Body lift kit. JUMP at it. you will thank yourself in the long run.

Also check out http://stores.ebay.com/Mako-Offroad-Products_Toyota
for poly body mounts. Ive bought stuff from him before Top notch guy.

TRUST ME on this one. Buy new body mounts. when your doing the lift Take out the sawsall And chop threw the old body mounts and hardware on the one side (Will take you all of 10 min max.. as opposed to HOURS AND HOURS to remove the old junk) Than away you go.

Where about in Canada are you ? Im in Kitchener Waterloo (45 min from Toronto) If your close buy I my be able to lend a hand.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Twinkie
Thanks for the info Roger. That wheel picture, is that an aluminum 8 spoke?
If so, I thought they are 7" wide, Interco wants the minimum to be 8, would it cause that much of a problem (if at all)?
The picture I posted was of a 15x6 steel wheel. The 15x7 alloy wheels are similar but of course 1" wider, makes the offset different but the back spacing is the same AFAIK. Not sure what size tire you are planning on, but 10.50 wide works well on 6 or 7" wheels, 12.50s work better on 8".

4Crawler Offroad also makes poly body mount bushing kits for the 2nd and 3rd gen 4Runners:

http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#PolyBushings

Last edited by 4Crawler; 03-30-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Where about in Canada are you ? Im in Kitchener Waterloo (45 min from Toronto) If your close buy I my be able to lend a hand.
I'm in Ottawa, thanks for the offer but that's probably a little far. May be too far to wrench, but I'll wheel with ya. We are holding our annual "PJ Party" the weekend after May 24, feel free to sign up and come up to see the Ottawa Valley, some great wheeling up here!
http://ovo.ca/pj2005/pjevent2.html
Old 04-01-2005, 08:54 AM

Well, thanks for the advice and the slight pushing Michael. I went with 4Crawler 2" lift, hopefully will get it next week some time. Hopefully the install will be as easy as the 2 others we've done with PA kits, time will tell.