Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can finally modify my rig!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can finally modify my rig!

I think my parents accually realise that i know what im talking about. They finally agreed to let me modify my 4runner.

The first thing im getting are some 33x10.5 bfg all terrain tires on some 15" brushed aluminum rims for $500. This is the only modification that my parents are buying for me because they agreed to pay for all nessicary parts when i got the car, and i found them one hell of a deal. The tires and wheels are like new.

I will post pictures within the next couple of days. IM SO FREAKING EXCITED!

Oh, and i can finally take of those damn running boards, ive always hated those.

-Jack
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

-Coming soon!-3 or 4 inch lift, 15" black steelies, 33s, aussie lockers(Rear first), New stronger bumpers, winch, and a couple engine mods.

Better add re-gearing near the top of that list
Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
lawl
Old 10-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by olharleyman
-Coming soon!-3 or 4 inch lift, 15" black steelies, 33s, aussie lockers(Rear first), New stronger bumpers, winch, and a couple engine mods.

Better add re-gearing near the top of that list
Yeah defanitly. Thats the old list from when i didnt know very much. Now its going to be Wheels and tires of course. Then manual hubs, Gearing and/or aussie locker, not sure yet, the 4.56 gearing might be sufficient for a while. Then a t-case crossmember and skid plate(i bent the out of mine), removal of the catalytic converter. It has 356000 kilometers on it. Then i will save for a lift, lockers in front, and i will make a skid plate.

Then other things i want to do in no particular order are a snorkel, front and rear bumpers, roof rack for spare tire and gear, some stronger tie rods and stuff, a cb with a huge antennae haha, and maybe an intake and fan switch.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats, welcome to the world of broke. lol.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by seanmearse
Yeah i know right. Im also buying a 2000 polaris rmk 700 for 1500 from my friends dad. I will be paying 125 a month for a year to pay it off.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM

Sounds like you are moving up in the world, pics please
Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

Yeah i will get some asap. Tomorrow im taking my moms car to work and doing an oil change for her, and i will bring one wheels home so they will approve of it. I know they will. the tires have like 85% tread. So hopefully i can get them on within the next couple days, and take thr running boards off.
As for the sled, its staying in my friends trailer untill the season starts, but i will post a picture of an exact looking sled.

Im off to bed, see you guys tomorrow in 3rd period
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
Yeah i know right. Im also buying a 2000 polaris rmk 700 for 1500 from my friends dad. I will be paying 125 a month for a year to pay it off.
Good machine
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats man. How old are you by the way?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wheels need to have stock backspacing for those tires to work with no/minimal lift.

This is an expensive "hobby" even for those of us with good jobs. Don't get in too big a rush to get in debt at an early age.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by seanmearse
x 1 zillion on that one!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by turboboost
Congrats man. How old are you by the way?
17 in december.

Originally Posted by tc
Wheels need to have stock backspacing for those tires to work with no/minimal lift.

This is an expensive "hobby" even for those of us with good jobs. Don't get in too big a rush to get in debt at an early age.
Im pretty sure the wheels have less back spacing, whatever would make them stick out farther. Im going to put them on at work just to be sure they dont rub.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

17 in december.

Atta boy, you're a youngin' like me.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM

Nice looking 4runner, after you get the tires you are going to want to save up for gears and a locker. A lift is useless if you do not need it so I would skip that. After the locker and gears get rock sliders and if you say you need a t case cross member get that too. Then bumpers and skids.

Nice to see another 2dr getting worked on.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im pretty sure the wheels have less back spacing, whatever would make them stick out farther. Im going to put them on at work just to be sure they dont rub.

The farther they stick out, the more rubbing issues you're gonna have.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:11 PM

Have the tires swaped onto your STOCK rims, check/modify for rubbing and then sell the "new" alu. rims. Less BS means a larger scrub radius and therefore means more rubbing. 35x10.50's have been proven to fit with ZERO lift but had to be on stock rims...

Oh yeah and PICS!!!!!

Cheers

Dave
Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Aluminum rims aren't the best for offroading. You bend the lip on a trail and steel can be pounded back, Al no.

To save money look ahead to plan your build. ie: If you going to eventually go dual t-case but decide to get a crossmember look for one that will fit the bill when you go duals.

Check out craigslist I've gotten lots of good deals on parts there but not all are good deals. nw wheelers is a local forumn to you so can find good deals there too.

I'd say don't go into debt for your truck, it ain't worth it.

I'm south sound, not out wheelin for the time but are several here that do. Even if your truck ain't built like you want it get out with others that can wheel and have well built rigs, you'll learn loads and see what works and what doesn't. Then you can try more difficult trails knowing you won't have to leave your truck on a trail to go get help. Make sure its not a good that will leave you too, have heard of some in this area that will, but they are the exception. I've never had an issue.

Be warned this is an addictive/expensive hobby but I like it.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Aluminum rims aren't the best for offroading. You bend the lip on a trail and steel can be pounded back, Al no.

To save money look ahead to plan your build. ie: If you going to eventually go dual t-case but decide to get a crossmember look for one that will fit the bill when you go duals.

Check out craigslist I've gotten lots of good deals on parts there but not all are good deals. nw wheelers is a local forumn to you so can find good deals there too.

I'd say don't go into debt for your truck, it ain't worth it.

I'm south sound, not out wheelin for the time but are several here that do. Even if your truck ain't built like you want it get out with others that can wheel and have well built rigs, you'll learn loads and see what works and what doesn't. Then you can try more difficult trails knowing you won't have to leave your truck on a trail to go get help. Make sure its not a good that will leave you too, have heard of some in this area that will, but they are the exception. I've never had an issue.

Be warned this is an addictive/expensive hobby but I like it.
Yeah craigs is the best. I am constantly keeping an eye out for some steelies, but these aluminum wheels look WAY better than the ones i have on right now.
I didnt know about nw wheelers, thats cool because none of my buddies have anything that can be wheeled. i will check it out. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Banned

I got my running boards off yesterday, and i have to say that i the worst design i could imagine. they were a pita to get off.
As for the wheels, i couldnt put them on because the lug nuts have the wrong taper on the end. My boss is picking some up for a good deal today. So count on some pictures tonight.

I will keep you guys posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I can finally modify my rig!