Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever see a Long Travel 1st gen 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever see a Long Travel 1st gen 4Runner?

Allright guys,

I got the front end of the Deathrunner mostly complete. I got it from Protrux just in time to take it to Ocotillo on Saturday (sorry no pics). This setup absorbs impact far better than the stock setup, and my articulation is insane compared to stock.

I still need to get everything dialed in. Obviously it needs paint, but not until the rear glass is on. Here are some pics, let me know what you think. I'm stoked. -Seth

Old 08-25-2004, 10:13 PM

Oh yeah, before I get any comments about my tire "mullet" action. You know business in the front party in the back.

My 33x10.50 rears were to bald to go to ocotillo with, so I put on my 12.50s with good tread.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:17 PM

Looks great! Who is the maker of that kit?
Old 08-26-2004, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when are we going wheeling??
Old 08-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Wow! Your 'Runner looks awesome. I've always loves the look of the Ivan Glass.

Oh. And who is going to make the rear glass?

Last edited by pinnacle; 08-26-2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:51 AM

JD fabrication makes that kit.JD Fab

Truck looks great!

We are just wrapping up a 3.4l swap for our '89 'Runner, then the new Total Chaos coil-over "Caddy Kit" goes in up front with a custom rear that will also pull about 13" vertical without cutting into the cab.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:55 AM

One option for the rear glass is to get quarters from Toyota Fiberglass (YotaTech member!) and trim it up a few inches, then mini-tub the inside to clear whatever tire size you settle on. I'm sure Hanneman or Glassworks or somebody makes something already or you could graft some same model truck bedsides in otherwise.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Hannemann or glassworks dont make any for the first gen 4runners. fiberwerx makes some for the 2nd and 3rd gens. I was thinking about the p/u bedsides, but seems like too much work.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:36 PM

Yeah, It's a JD Kit. Nice stuff. I'm pretty happy thus far.

Fot the rear glass, we will be working with hanneman to either adapt an 84-88 long bed pickup side, or worst case scenario make a complete custom.

We are going to cut out as much fender as possible (While still keeping a seal) and then we will fasten the glass over the side with zeuss (Is that right?) fasteners.
There has been discussion of putting some sort of rubber on the edges of the glass, so that my buddies don't get glass splinters when they ride in back and hang thier arms out the window.

Marc P -We're probably going back to ocotillo in the next couple of weeks. Season is coming......

My torsion bars are finally settling in, so I need to adjust my height again.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:38 PM

Pinnacle- Jim at Protrux seems to think that the long bed pickup sides can and will work for a 4runner. I have seen the 2nd gen glass by fiberworks and it looks sweet. There is a 2wd white 2nd gen at protrux with it.

What is fiberworks web site??
Old 08-26-2004, 02:52 PM

For those of you wanting more pocs, yet not savvy enough to navigate my photobucket page, here's the rest.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/D...urrent=jd3.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/D...ent=08-211.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/D...t=b61cc649.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/D...t=ad3e51c1.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v373/D...t=b119859d.jpg
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (12-30-2019)
Old 08-26-2004, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Fiberwerx

If somebody is going to make some first gen bedsides for a 4runner that would be sweet. Right now I'm looking to get an 86-88 pickup because one of the main reasonis is the rear glass, but i'd like to get a 4runner though.

My bedsides are held on with allen screws and huge washers.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

I was just over at Total Chaos yesterday to get some information on their new steering linkage kit. It's quite beefy and will hold up to my pounding them on the rocks, I should be getting this next week. While I was there they showed me the Caddy kit for the earlier rigs. They came up with a new design that eliminates the torsion bars and has the ability to use dual shocks. This is a much needed improvment, those brackets that attach the bars to the upper A-arm are the weak link.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:23 PM

There is a company that makes 1st Gen 4Runner steel quarters, i'll have to find the link again but the cost was about $255 per side.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by FSRBIKER
There is a company that makes 1st Gen 4Runner steel quarters, i'll have to find the link again but the cost was about $255 per side.
Found the link, they sell patches for the doors, tailgate and just certainparts of the quarters.
http://alfaparts.net/toyota4r.htm

WOW $20 shipping!!

Last edited by FSRBIKER; 08-26-2004 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:36 PM

FSRBIKER- Good eye on the site, but the bedsides we are talking about need to be larger than stock. "Bulged out" so to speak. Thanks though.

Pinnacle- Prtotrux won't do me wrong on the sides. Wait and see how my rear looks when I get it done. You might like it, and then it could be 4runner time for you too.

Bruce- I too heard about the new chaos kit, but I think thier lower arms will probably remain the same style. I went with JD because of the sheer strength of the lowers. Also the geometry does a better job of keeping the lower bjs in place.

I have never heard of any problems with the torsion socket on the A arm, but maybe I haven't read enough. Regardless, the kit I have allows for the use of a coilover while still keeping 4x4.

I'm gonna run the torsions for a while, and if I decided to (or if I have money) I can change to coilovers. My sway away shocks are already threaded for it. All I have to do is get the springs and kit, brace my two shock hoops together, and possibly change the location of one of my shock tabs.

I have seen plenty of 1st and 2nd gen's holding up with torsions and kits by ESB, Chaos, and JD. The big advantage of the coils to me are the ability to adjust spring rate without affecting height. I also imagine coils articulate better than t-bars (although I am pretty satisfied with the t-bar flex)

I really need to get my Rear setup now, I went beating around again yesterday and my front end takes it all, but my rear bucks on the big bumps. fun stuff
Old 08-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds good, I cant wait to see what the sides will look like. I probably wont be getting anyting until the begining of next next year, so I have some time to shop around for everything.

I know someone who has broken the t-bar socket, he bought his 'runner without 4wd, he ditched the t-bars and went with a coilover

Last edited by pinnacle; 08-27-2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by pinnacle
fiberwerx makes some for the 2nd and 3rd gens...
Are you sure that Fiberwerx makes 3rd gen. 4Runner rear quarters? That would be sweet, but I don't think they do...
Old 08-27-2004, 03:36 PM

I checked fiberwerks and they only have 2nd gen.......but they will custom make stuff. I emailed them about mine and I will keep y'all posted on how that goes. I like to examine all my options first.

Pinnacle- Was there any major damage? I imagine that worst that could happen is to be riding on nothing but bump stops. Not favorable, but definitely not the worst thing that could happen. I'm going to see if there are any upgrades for this part. hmmmm
Old 08-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

No damage that I can recall. He broke it at the MDR 400 race. From what I remember he just got towed home from there.

Sorry I thought they made the quarters for the newer 4runners.

Quick Reply: Ever see a Long Travel 1st gen 4Runner?