Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB Solenoid spitting fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Solenoid spitting fluid

I've seen this mentioned before but my search efforts turned up nothing. I have both a front and rear locker, front one is fine. Rear locker solenoid spits up diff fluid when it disengages. I checked my breather line, all clear and dry. Fluid is filled to about 1/4" below fill hole. Locker still works fine, no leaks, but I really don't like getting diff fluid sprayed all over my engine compartment. I took the line off and blew it dry with my air compressor, for now it seems ok, but is there anything I can do to keep it from sucking up more fluid again? If not then I noticed where the air ejects from the solenoid is threaded, I wonder if its possible to thread in a union there and attach a small nylon hose to route the exhaust air/fluid down towards the ground. Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill
I've seen this mentioned before but my search efforts turned up nothing. I have both a front and rear locker, front one is fine. Rear locker solenoid spits up diff fluid when it disengages. I checked my breather line, all clear and dry. Fluid is filled to about 1/4" below fill hole. Locker still works fine, no leaks, but I really don't like getting diff fluid sprayed all over my engine compartment. I took the line off and blew it dry with my air compressor, for now it seems ok, but is there anything I can do to keep it from sucking up more fluid again? If not then I noticed where the air ejects from the solenoid is threaded, I wonder if its possible to thread in a union there and attach a small nylon hose to route the exhaust air/fluid down towards the ground. Thoughts?
Something sounds wrong, I've had a little gear oil in the air line but nothing like that and it never sprays out up at the solenid. I've had a rear ARB for 7 years. You're sure the diff breather is open and clear huh? What weight gear oil do you run? How much are you using the locker?
Old 08-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leo (ldivinag) and I were just chatting about this very thing a couple days ago. He said his did that when the diff wore a hole through his copper line. The 4wheel parts guy didn't believe him so leo hit the switch and squirted him in the face (I don't think it was on purpose though).
Old 08-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

well if it wasn't, it should have been...
Old 08-05-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Robinhood150
Leo (ldivinag) and I were just chatting about this very thing a couple days ago. He said his did that when the diff wore a hole through his copper line. The 4wheel parts guy didn't believe him so leo hit the switch and squirted him in the face (I don't think it was on purpose though).
If there was a hole in the copper line, then wouldn't you here the air leak when it was engaged?
Old 08-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's what I would think too. I'm a newbie to ARBs though, just got mine install a couple weeks ago.

Does your compressor come on more often now?

Edit: Oh, I see leo responded to your 4x4wire thread.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Wild_Bill
If there was a hole in the copper line, then wouldn't you here the air leak when it was engaged?
Call ARB The Krusty Toy had the same thing. I forgot what they told me but they knew right what it was.

The Krust toy did have a copper line leak as well. Wore into the tube by the ring.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:50 PM

How long does it take 'til the compressor cycles on w/ the locker engaged? I'm willing to bet there's foreign material/gunk in the o-rings or inner seal.

ARB makes a fitting that will screw in the solenoid exhaust port. Best part is that it's a push in fitting that takes the standard ARB line. Unfortunately I don't have the part # handy but ARB should be able to help ya out. The only bad thing is that it acts like a muffler and you'll no longer hear the PSST sound when disengaging the locker/s.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:54 PM

You can see what it looks like in the following pic.

Sorry, it's kind of small. Just too lazy to go out and take a close up pic.