Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gen differential drop ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th gen differential drop ?

Would anyone know if the front differential can be lowered by an inch, for a 2003 4runner (4th gen). There are kits sold on the internet using metal spacers and long bolts. The first picture shows where the differential is attached to to a cross frame arm.

However, in my vehicle it seems there is no room to drop the differential, since the gap between the rotating shaft head and the frame cross arm underneath it is only about 1/2" (as shown in the second picture that is taken looking forward from under the SUV). If the differential is lowered, the shaft head will grind against the cross arm of the frame.

Am I missing something ? Any 4th gen owner willing to peep above the skidplate and check the gap?

Edit: this is regarding a V6 and not V8
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen differential drop ?-image179.jpg   4th gen differential drop ?-image169.jpg  

Last edited by Rishi; 05-30-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

Yes, you can lower the differential but there is really no reason to because if you get to a height where you need to do that on your 4th gen., then you will have far bigger issues to tend to than a mere differential drop.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

Also, do you even have a lift yet? You will not need a differential drop for anything up to around 4.5" or 5" of lift.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:23 PM

But is it at all possible to have the diff drop considering the 1/2" clearance between the shaft head and the frame cross arm?

Is my 2003 4runner different from later year models in terms of this clearance factor, or nobody has yet done a diff drop with 4th gens?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

I have a 2003 4Runner as well. At one point, I was running about 5" of lift and did not need to drop the diff. at all. It is counterproductive if you only have 3" or so of lift because the point is to get more ground clearance, and when you drop the diff, it'll take away from ground clearance and in the case of 4th gens. - unnecessarily.

Yes, it is possible to do the diff. drop. Yes, people have done diff. drops on the 4th gen. I dropped mine and ran like that for a week or so until I got my new lift. It was possible, but absolutely unnecessary.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Banned

here's a question, please answer: why are you even considering a diff. drop? do you have a lift yet? if so, is it more than 5"? if not, there is no reason whatsoever to even been worrying about this.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by r0cky
I have a 2003 4Runner as well. At one point, I was running about 5" of lift and did not need to drop the diff. at all. It is counterproductive if you only have 3" or so of lift because the point is to get more ground clearance, and when you drop the diff, it'll take away from ground clearance and in the case of 4th gens. - unnecessarily.

Yes, it is possible to do the diff. drop. Yes, people have done diff. drops on the 4th gen. I dropped mine and ran like that for a week or so until I got my new lift. It was possible, but absolutely unnecessary.
r0cky, can you check out my picture and tell me how you achieved the diff drop without the shaft head (circular disc) hitting the cross frame? The clearance is only 0.5" so if you know of some tricks I'm all ears. I'm not a mechanical guy, and would appreciate your feedback.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Banned

answer my questions first and i will better understand why you need this, please.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Banned

also, i'm not exactly understanding the second picture you posted ...
Old 05-29-2005, 06:42 PM

Sure! I heard some 4th gens with 4" lift had a 1" diff drop (mostly preload & small topout extension). I'm planning on a 3" but mostly with topout spacer, and so a diff drop won't do harm (if at all possible).

Now your answer please.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:47 PM

also, i'm not exactly understanding the second picture you posted ...
That's the drive shaft connecting the transfer case and the front differential, and the picture shows where it connects to the front differential (the one that needs to be lowered). That's my understanding.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Banned

No. None of the 4th gens around here (yotatech, i mean) have a diff. drop with only 4" of lift. Also, if they were/are running a 4" lift, there is only one company that makes that amount of lift (via spacers) and they are the most irreputable company out there, responsible for more than 4 vehicles' suspension systems needing to be completely replaced. Therefore, if you know someone running that lift, you may want to point them to yotatech for help. That being said, many people have said in other threads that for the 4th gen., diff. drops are virtually useless, as the CV angle is negative in stock form. You will do more harm than good if you do a diff. drop with your 3" lift. There is absolutely NO reason to do one for that amount of lift.

That being said, I still don't understand the second picture you posted. All I know is that I installed a 1" diff. drop which worked just fine - save for the fact that it didn't help anything at all and was just a waste of money.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Banned

well, like I said, I had no issues whatsoever, but I will crawl under there tomorrow and try to see better so I can explain better.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:53 PM

well, like I said, I had no issues whatsoever, but I will crawl under there tomorrow and try to see better so I can explain better.
Greately appreciate that. I may not go with any diff drop, but am defnitely curious to know if my 2003 4runner is different from yours (in terms of that 0.5" clearance)
Old 05-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Banned

No, there's no reason (that I know of) that ours would be different. We'll see.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

In regards to the second pic...
If I'm not mistaken, a diff drop would only lower the *front* of the differential and entire unit would simply rotate with it. The pinion flange (circular thing) wouldn't get in the way of the crossmember, it may actually gain clearance in that spot.

However, listen to r0cky...the diff drop isn't necessary at all. Instead, it's detrimental to your clearance.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
In regards to the second pic...
If I'm not mistaken, a diff drop would only lower the *front* of the differential and entire unit would simply rotate with it. The pinion flange (circular thing) wouldn't get in the way of the crossmember, it may actually gain clearance in that spot.
yeah, what he said.

now how come i read the stressed importance of a diff drop in 3rd gens at least to ease bad cv angles, but you guys are dissuading rishi from it? what am i missing here...
Old 05-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
now how come i read the stressed importance of a diff drop in 3rd gens at least to ease bad cv angles, but you guys are dissuading rishi from it? what am i missing here...
Evidentally, the CV's are at a negative angle as they come stock. So when you lift, the angles aren't that severe. Right r0cky?
Old 05-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

Right. The CVs are at a negative angle stock ... so you can lift close to 5" before they get bad enough to consider a diff. drop. With 3" of lift, they were almost parallel to the ground, or perhaps 1-2 degrees, but that was it.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Banned

but i do not recommend lifting more than 4", regardless.

Quick Reply: 4th gen differential drop ?