Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.70:1 gears vs. Dual tcase

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4.70:1 gears vs. Dual tcase

I'm thinking that I eventually want to install Marlin's 4.70:1 gearset for my tcase. I have ruled out the dual tcases as I don't want the extra cost associated with lengthening shortening driveshafts, new crossmember, making room for a shifter, adding weight.

I think 2 tcases would be nice, yet overkill for my IFS rig.

With that said, I'm weighing the option of staying stock or 4.7

The pros of stock are:

Free

Can move pretty quick in 4th and 5th gear on the trail, without having to switch to high range.

The pros of the 4.7:

Lower gearing (almost double)

Better compression braking on descents

Stronger input shaft

I'd like to know from guys who have doen this swap or even the dual case guys.

Was this swap worth while on the trail?

Do you miss the 2.28 range?

Do you find yourself having to switch between high and low range more often?

What is the highest gear you can start in in 4.7? (I can start in 2nd or 3rd in stock low)

How fast can you go in 5th gear low (4.7)?

I'm just looking for more grunt and traction out of my 22re.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grimm's Gear ratio calculator will give you all of the data that you want with regard to RPM/Speed/gearing.

I did a T/c swap for a 4.7 Marlin single. Definitely helps when crawling. Now Hi 1st is slightly higher than Lo 5th, IIRC. Occasionally, I do miss the higher 4lo, but more often, if I have it in Lo, I want it really low. There are times I want it even lower. Check out the Jaws 1 video referenced in my sig page. I would have liked to drop the front end a little slower. I guess I need to practice feathering my clutch a little more.

The nice thing about a 4.7 single T/C swap is that everything is bolt-on. No custom fab work required.

Oh, and most of the time driving Hell's Revenge, I didn't have to use my brakes, even with 4.10 diffs and 4 people in the rig. On level ground, I can start in 4th or 5th LO if I want. In 1st LO, I can practically start it with the clutch engaged.

IIRC, what was 1st Lo is now 2nd Lo for RPM/speed.

HTH

Last edited by 86Original; 10-06-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the gearset, and did it myself.

12 hrs truck driving to truck driving.

I love it. I can start in whatever gear i want, and can start the truck with the clutch in.

Incidently, it is over double low. Double low would be 4.56.

I hardly use brakes, and love the added control of being able to just crawl. I've yet to have a time when i wished to have the higher lowrange.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

[Hi-jack]

Ike, what happened to your 4Runner?

[/Hi-jack]
Old 10-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

nothing. The signature is a joke. I want a corolla so i can take the 4runner down for some major overhaul. Who knows, maybe if i claim to have it, then it'll happen eh?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

I have duals with a 4.7 in the crawler. Personally I like the versatility of duals. I can run stock low, crawler low, or low-low. I also like the fact that I have more drive shaft clearance with duals. Since the rear driveshaft is shorter.

What ever you do you will love the extra gearing, best mod ever.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:06 PM

hmmmmm this puts the new 5th gear between 2nd and 3rd now. I think that shoudl be fast enough for between obstacles. I think 4.7:1 will be in my future.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Your truck is for going fast, remember?

I have an auto with dual cases, one has a 4.7 gear.

Dual cases will involve driveline work, adding a 4.7 gear will not.

With a stick, you can just rev the snot out of it between. With an auto, you should really have two cases.

"I had my tonsils out and was in the Evelyn Nursing Home feeling sorry for myself. Wittgenstein called. I croaked "I feel like a dog that has been run over." Harry G. Frankfurt, On BS.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Incidently, it is over double low. Double low would be 4.56.
Nope, two stock cases (2.28:1 each) is lower than a single 4.7: case. You added 2.28 + 2.28. You need to multiply them by each other and you get 5.19:1.

I have two stock cases and it works awesome. Most of the guys I wheel with have a single 4.7 case. Our trucks handle all the trails equally well, but I have the benefit of stock low range.

That being said, it's quite a bit cheaper to do a single 4.7 case. So deathrunner if you're thinking about it, do it. You won't regret either setup.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BeaterToyota
Nope, two stock cases (2.28:1 each) is lower than a single 4.7: case. You added 2.28 + 2.28. You need to multiply them by each other and you get 5.19:1.

I have two stock cases and it works awesome. Most of the guys I wheel with have a single 4.7 case. Our trucks handle all the trails equally well, but I have the benefit of stock low range.

That being said, it's quite a bit cheaper to do a single 4.7 case. So deathrunner if you're thinking about it, do it. You won't regret either setup.
Ahh, yes, you are correct. I thought through that too quickly. Good catch.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:04 PM

i love my 4.7 it's probably one of the best mods i have done but i will probably go to duals but what a great crawl ratio i can spank jeep low ranges and i can up shift if needed the only time i wish i had the stock low range is when i am descending a steep loose hill
Old 10-06-2006, 07:44 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on the kind of 'wheeling you do... If you're ever in mud, the 4.7's make it VERY difficult to get enough wheelspeed to clean the tread out. I've 'wheeled with Jeep Rubicons that were having all kinds of trouble because the gears were TOO low. In that case, duals is probably better. If you're into rockcrawling, the 4.7's will be great, and you can always add another case after that one later if you want.

I wish I had this choice...Damn chain drive tcase!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Depends on the kind of 'wheeling you do... If you're ever in mud, the 4.7's make it VERY difficult to get enough wheelspeed to clean the tread out. I've 'wheeled with Jeep Rubicons that were having all kinds of trouble because the gears were TOO low. In that case, duals is probably better. If you're into rockcrawling, the 4.7's will be great, and you can always add another case after that one later if you want.

That is kind of my concern. My 22re doesn't have enough gusto to propel me up sand dunes in high range. So I tend to use 2nd gear low range and I just spin up the hill.

I was afraid that the lower gears might be too low, but as long as I can do the same sort of thing in 3rd or 4th gear, I'll be ok.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Your truck is for going fast, remember?
"I had my tonsils out and was in the Evelyn Nursing Home feeling sorry for myself. Wittgenstein called. I croaked "I feel like a dog that has been run over." Harry G. Frankfurt, On BS.
That's funny, I thought I was trying to make a truck that could do both. Besides, my low range won't affect my high speed travel.

By the way I like your air bump sway bar, it's a cool idea.

Oh yeah, what does Harry G. Frankfurt know about back spacing? :pat:
Old 02-13-2007, 09:42 AM

OK, so I am going to order the gears.

I did some math and it looks like with the tach pegged to 5,000RPM, in 5th gear, the Deathrunner will be hurling forward at a staggering 25mph!

Realistically, I can see kicking in 5th at 3k and doing about 20mph. That should be plenty fast for between obstacles.....right?

I just don't like having to stop and shift in and out of low all the time.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Just an FYI the Marlin Crawler board and Pirate both have polls and multiple multiple threads on this exact topic. Lots and lots of opinions, bickering, and once in a while good information there.

TC Marlin sells an adapter plate so you can bolt a 4cyl transfer case up to the V-6. You can also buy their ready to run dual case with 23 spline shafts... make sure your sitting down when you see the price though.. I bit the bullet and went that route.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Can the t-case behind the A340 tranny be regeared?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Can the t-case behind the A340 tranny be regeared?
No, but you have a VF2A with 2:57 low range gears. If you don't be luckier than that by having the A340H with 2:66's. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-13-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Marlin also makes an adapter now to insert a crawlbox in between my tranny and chain drive case, but it's not as cheap as a set of gears either!

HaveBlue - the only thing you can do is get the Inchworm adapter and put a gear drive case (or two or three) behind the auto... The auto trannies have a special transfer case that is siamesed to the tranny.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Sweet! I was not aware. I do recall they had gears for the R150 man. trans, lower ones.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-15-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.70:1 gears vs. Dual tcase