Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd to 4wd sas lift questions and help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2wd to 4wd sas lift questions and help

ok so i know there are countless threads about ruf and chevy 63s in rear but for now im focased on the front for now because my truck is a daily driver adn if its going to be down its got to be planned out ya know.

anyway alot of the ruf mods i see end up with the front axle sitting forward and i know that helps with approach angle but i dont want that or to have to cut fenders so say if i do a 51 ruf swap up front could i move my front hanger forward and shackle mount back (i hope this will work so i can fix my crooked shackle tubes)

can somebody also explain to me the pros and cons of longer shackles and what they do

and one last thing does anybody have the dimentions (just length) of the tubes for the hy steer kit

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Really depends on your Toyota model.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-21-2012, 03:09 PM

i have a 95 toyota pickup 22re reg cab. parts truck was a 83 22re reg cab also using stock sfa steering. i put the shackle tubes centered into the body mount, does that help. also what is the measuerment from eye to eye on the stock front leafs
Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4runner rebuild

Howdy I'm new to this and have a few questions. I just bought my first Toyota 86 4runner..I'm in the process of rebuilding it.I have it stripped down..Motor out interior gone.. I researched on here and the web and can't seem to find parts for it.Like Seats and the interior...Any suggestions on how to build or modify would be grately appreciated..I have seen some nice looking trucks on here and hope Mine will turn out half as good....Sorry this is so long..
Old 06-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by TexnOr
Howdy I'm new to this and have a few questions. I just bought my first Toyota 86 4runner..I'm in the process of rebuilding it.I have it stripped down..Motor out interior gone.. I researched on here and the web and can't seem to find parts for it.Like Seats and the interior...Any suggestions on how to build or modify would be grately appreciated..I have seen some nice looking trucks on here and hope Mine will turn out half as good....Sorry this is so long..
Whoa whoa whoa slow down therethis forum will be useless to you if you don't use it correctly, read the stickies and search you will be way happier.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:24 PM

Sorry didnt know it was gonna post here. I've been reading all i can on here for a few months before I Joined..
Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts
Oh I don't mind I just try to point who I can in a better direction I still can't find the Colorado section to post in.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 PM

But I do have a question? what is Hy steer Everyone talks about?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 AM

it is a steering kit that allows you to use your individual front suspention (ifs) steering box with a solid axle swap, and i think its better suited for lifts too most people say yuo cant use solid front axle (sfa) steering box on solid axle swaps but i did on mine because i didnt have the money at the time for a 4wd ifs box and no money for a hy steer and i needed to get my truck back on road since its a dd

also if i do a ruf on my truck could i drill a new center pin for the springs to bring my axle back to center or not
Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Stock configuration places the steering arm below the leaf springs and in front of the axle housing. In the offroad application,this is a vulnerable position for it to be in. It will catch or snag on rocks bending it, throwing your steering alignment off severly.
Hi-steer requires aftermarket arms to be bolted on the axle (http://www.marlincrawler.com/steerin...teer-kit-hilux) that reposition the steering arm above the leafsprings and out of the way protecting it.

Hi-steer is only applicable for solid front axles. not IFS.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dreidel
it is a steering kit that allows you to use your individual front suspention (ifs) steering box with a solid axle swap
IFS stands for Independent Front suspension, not "individual"... however i prefer "inferior front suspension"
Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Von Wilsonator
IFS stands for Independent Front suspension, not "individual"... however i prefer "inferior front suspension"
individual= seperate
independent=seperate
in ifs trucks each front wheel has its own INDIVIDUAL suspension setup that doesnt affect the other setup or independent which ever you prefer so does it really matter what the real actual word is if they both mean the same thing
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 PM

individual= seperate
independent=seperate
in ifs trucks each front wheel has its own INDIVIDUAL suspension setup that doesnt affect the other setup or independent which ever you prefer so does it really matter what the real actual word is if they both mean the same thing
Independent, Indifferent, instant, inferior, individual, idiotic, ironic, impressive, Call it what ya will. I have Never heard it called that. Guess yall mid west guys do things differently. cheers!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM

Independent, Indifferent, instant, inferior, individual, idiotic, ironic, impressive, Call it what ya will. I have Never heard it called that. Guess yall mid west guys do things differently. cheers!
idk all my freinds are rednecks that think cold air intakes give them 50 more horse all the time and dont understand the concept of regearing for bigger tires, give me crap about my toyota cuase its toyota and probably would know what i was talking about if i said ifs they would probably think i was stupid. i told some kid at school about how i was putting a solid axle under my truck to make it 4wd (cause it was 2wd) and dead serious asked me how i was going to turn
and swear to god one kid said he was going to buy headers for his pickup with a 302 and we argued why not just build them instead of waste money (just my opinion if i can make it im going to) somehow in all that i showed him where his headers were supposed to go and he was like no they go here points to intake manifold

Last edited by Dreidel; 07-20-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM

idk all my freinds are rednecks that think cold air intakes give them 50 more horse all the time and dont understand the concept of regearing for bigger tires, give me crap about my toyota cuase its toyota and probably would know what i was talking about if i said ifs they would probably think i was stupid. i told some kid at school about how i was putting a solid axle under my truck to make it 4wd (cause it was 2wd) and dead serious asked me how i was going to turn
and swear to god one kid said he was going to buy headers for his pickup with a 302 and we argued why not just build them instead of waste money (just my opinion if i can make it im going to) somehow in all that i showed him where his headers were supposed to go and he was like no they go here points to intake manifold
Wow thats pretty bad dude. Ive been there. I come from mudding back east, where we stuff the biggest motor we can in a half ton, skip it across a mud puddle, and wonder why the rest of the truck breaks. It wasnt till i got stationed out here in Cali that i saw these cute lil un-american toyotas pissin me off cause they could go anywhere. Now im one of them.
Off subject... or back on rather. Has anybody even answered your question yet?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 AM

nope not any of them what i was wanting to do was a lift on a budget but not a body lift cause i put dodge durango seats in and if my shifter gets ny farther away it going to get uncomfortable and i just want a suspension lift cause im stubborn like that

Last edited by Dreidel; 07-21-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 PM

Ok then.
-Stock toyota front springs are about 45.5" across the arc
-Trail Gear and most after market front springs are 46"
-crossover/hi steer drag link 33.5" +rodends
-crossover/hi steer steering arms are 41.5" + rodends

If your going to do a lift, RUF will work, but they have to be miss matched otherwise they wont support the weight, and as you know, the centerpin moves the axle fwd about 2".
i suggest an aftermarket lift spring. quicker, easier, not too expensive.
As for shackle length and angle, dont go longer than 6". doing so makes your pinion angle too severe, and throw your caster off. This being your daily driver, thats not something you dont want to do.
If your that concerned about not moving the axle fwd, you can drill out your spring perches 1.5" fwd to bring it back. thats how i moved mine fwd more for a better approach angle. Mines my DD, and i run it 70mph + with no front end issues.
Hope this helps.
http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/frontaxle.htm
Old 07-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Ok then.
-Stock toyota front springs are about 45.5" across the arc
-Trail Gear and most after market front springs are 46"
-crossover/hi steer drag link 33.5" +rodends
-crossover/hi steer steering arms are 41.5" + rodends

If your going to do a lift, RUF will work, but they have to be miss matched otherwise they wont support the weight, and as you know, the centerpin moves the axle fwd about 2".
i suggest an aftermarket lift spring. quicker, easier, not too expensive.
As for shackle length and angle, dont go longer than 6". doing so makes your pinion angle too severe, and throw your caster off. This being your daily driver, thats not something you dont want to do.
If your that concerned about not moving the axle fwd, you can drill out your spring perches 1.5" fwd to bring it back. thats how i moved mine fwd more for a better approach angle. Mines my DD, and i run it 70mph + with no front end issues.
Hope this helps.
http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/frontaxle.htm
wow all in one thank you i found a trail master lift kit on sale for a little under 300 comes with new front springs and rear add a leafs you have a opinion on this and the lift is on hold for now cause i found a new arb, v6 third, new nitro gear 4.88 r&p and a few others for a decent deal
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody know a good psychiatrist?

NO!! for me.

Just kiddin. But seriously, my friend "blank" thought that the rack n pinion steering arms on a tacoma were the drive axles. Cause they have that little rubber flex boot. COME ON!! Same guy also recked a nissan pickup because he panic'd and floored the gas and the brake at the same time on a gravel road.

Oh ya and went over a big drop off and smashed a tree. He first lost control at 10mph then somehow was going 35mph when he crashed.

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 07-27-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 PM

lol my freinds dad brought his 01 powerjoke intothe shop cause it was stuck in 4wd all the time cost 500 dollars and no joke the mech told him the u joints were bad and keeping it i 4wd all the time and he believed it

Last edited by Dreidel; 07-28-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 2wd to 4wd sas lift questions and help