99+ Tundra, 00+ Sequoia, 98+ Land Cruiser/LX470 Late model full size trucks and SUVs

2000 Tundra needs help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2000 Tundra needs help

Okay, although this is my first post and I really haven't looked too much, it seems that this would be the best forum to ask this question. I have a 2000 tundra w/ about 30k. I took it to my local Hamer Toyota Dealer to get a "routine" oil change and trani fluid. Well after getting the truck back, I drove away. 3/4 of a mile away from the dealer the motor shut off. uh-oh!!!! After calling the service depart. and telling them what happened, they tell me to drive the car back in the next 30min before the shop closed. Well after driving back and listening to my poor beloved toyota make some aweful sounds, I left it there and they gave me a corolla to top it off!!! Well anyways, the next day I called and they said that the cam broke and went through the engine, and that they were going to just replace the cams, heads and crankshaft. This after they had told me on friday morning that they were going to replace the short block. Well now down to my question. Does anybody in here think that I should be asking for a new motor, or should the bandage work for me, and do you think that I will experience more troubles down the line??!?!?! I'm taking in my ASE certified friend to take a look at the motor, but still wouldn't feel comfortable if the motor is not replaced. any ideas, any suggestions on who to call. I already called corporate and they gave me the customer service reps at hamer toyota. Should I light the fire under corporate or the service rep?!?!? thanks all, and look forward to anyones answer.

johnny v.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:33 PM

With only 30k on your Toyota, that's almost unheard of. Did they give an indication as to why the cam broke?

P.S. Welcome aboard Johnny!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:37 PM

thanks, and look forward to browsing. The service person said that they didn't put enough oil into it. If it was none, then light would have come on after I started it. When I called them from the side of road, I said I didn't want to drive it because I didn't think it had any oil, but he said that that couldn't have been the case. I asked for tow truck and he said that they didn't have tow service, I asked for a mechanic to come to me and he said that they couldn't do that. Usually helpful friendly service, but this time don't know what happened!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by johnnyv5
thanks, and look forward to browsing. The service person said that they didn't put enough oil into it. If it was none, then light would have come on after I started it. When I called them from the side of road, I said I didn't want to drive it because I didn't think it had any oil, but he said that that couldn't have been the case. I asked for tow truck and he said that they didn't have tow service, I asked for a mechanic to come to me and he said that they couldn't do that. Usually helpful friendly service, but this time don't know what happened!!!
In that case I would certainly say something more. Mistakes happen regardless of how good the service mechanic is, but this isn't an under-inflated tire, these are serious components. Cams, heads & crankshaft replacement is half your engine right there & I think they're giving you the equivalent of a rebuilt engine on a 2/3 year old truck...
Old 11-20-2002, 10:05 PM

Wow...you bring it in specifically for an oil change and the mechanic does'nt put enough oil in? That's scarey ˟˟˟˟ man. How the heck do you break a cam from low oil...is the cam the weak link here? I'd be really pissed, especially since they made ya drive back and probably messed it up more. I'd be screaming for a new motor. Good luck buddy.
butnut
Old 11-20-2002, 10:13 PM

yo, that's no joke...i'd call toyota and make hamer pay for it...that's whack...tell them you pay them good money for service and they forget to put OIL IN?? WTF?...there would be some people losing jobs if i was there...good luck and keep us posted...welcome to the board!
Old 11-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm taking in my ASE certified friend to take a look at the motor, but still wouldn't feel comfortable if the motor is not replaced.
Toyota wants you happy. Communicate your concerns. They were the ones that left the oil out. They were the ones that told you to drive in, becuase they close in 30 mins.

Screaming should not be necessary. Standing your ground is.

While not reflecting directly on your situation at hand. An engine run without oil will quickly start to overheat. The first things to go will be the cam bearings (aka Cam Journals). Usually seizing the camshaft , and breaking the timing belt.

Crankshaft bearings, Camshaft bearings, Cylinder walls, and Pistons skirts are the immediate places for damage in such a case.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:47 PM

Good, level headed advise Jay...I probably would cool off after venting. good explaination on what happens with no oil. Good luck Johnny, let us know what happens, hope they treat ya right.
butnut
Old 11-25-2002, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by butnut
Good, level headed advise Jay...I probably would cool off after venting. good explaination on what happens with no oil. Good luck Johnny, let us know what happens, hope they treat ya right.
butnut
ah...one of the many more experiences to not go to the dealer and do your own services at home. Johnny, I feel you because my dealer didn't tighten the filter enough one time on my Runner and it leaked like a bitch until I finally figured it out. One time, they even spilled some oil on my hood and had the nerve to give it back to me that way, I told him to go clean it otherwise he's paying for a new paint job (for all I know it could have been brake fluid which almost like a paint striper).