Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

Contemplating FJ-40 purchase.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's a good resource for them...never knew about it.

That mustard one is pretty cool...and they have more pics on the web...
http://www.taftanddarcy.com/forsale.htm

That would probably get my vote. :-)

Jim

edit: ...with plenty of room for Jackson...
http://www.taftanddarcy.com/Elsie/HPIM3076.JPG

Last edited by jruz; 11-22-2003 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

That ones a little more expensive, but newer, so it'd save me the install of new disc brakes, power steering, etc. The engine bay looks a bit scary though, particularly the loose wires running around. Makes me question the quality of the install of the 350. Sent an email to them anyways to see if it was still for sale. I'm picturing it without that silly brush guard and sitting on 35's with at SOA....mmmmm yummy! Now I just need 5000 dollars...
Old 11-22-2003, 05:30 PM

Also, FYI...Chrisco was thinking of selling his Cruiser, but probably won't unless he really has to.

You might want to check his out also.

Jim
Old 11-22-2003, 05:41 PM

Mad Chemist,
Try emailing Jim at realcruiser.com
He is in contact with many west coast LC owners and could probably get you in contact with someone selling the year and $ you want.

Look at my pictures for LC's at the Pismo Surf n Turf this year. So many LC's and I developed a real interest in them now! Plus the LC owners are FANTASTIC people. 150% class acts.

I met two Lexus mechanics up there. One had a FJ40 built up like a perfect Rubicon killer, the other had the zebra striped FJ wagon with Toyota V8, electric lockers fr/rr, newly fabbed suspension, GX470 seats, huge lift, tires, etc, etc all in 6 weeks! That thing is going to be so awesome when it's done.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:20 PM

I was looking at FJ-40's as well, but as of this moment I am unsure whether I want to go the Sammi route (built up Sammi with Toyota axles and crawler gears) which would be more utility, or the FJ route which would certainly be more classy. I am looking for a second wheeling rig that I can drive and wheel while the 94 pickup is in the shop getting the SAS done(January or February).
Old 11-22-2003, 08:53 PM

My dad and I were looking at that second one the other night. Figure since the bank owns it and wants it gone.... probably offer less and walk away with it.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

50 Plus Years of Land Crusier

It's almost all in Japanese. Everything but the pictures.

50 Years of Land Cruiser
Old 11-23-2003, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Well,

Sounds like I'm not the only one thinking about going this route! My main issue is having a 2nd vehicle that I've got to worry about finding parking for until I get an apt. Parking where I'm at isn't too bad, but I'd still need to start her up and move her every couple of days. Also, if I do the "responsible" thing, I would make sure my 98 was paid off before I spent any money on anything else. Its mostly an issue of the christmas bonus that should be coming my way, and I'm tired of always.....usually doing the responsible thing.

Hey OneTrickToy- did you go see it in person, or did you just see it on the net?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:06 AM

You could always park it at my place...
...but that wouldn't make it very accessible for you.

Jim
Old 11-23-2003, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Well....that was part of the issue about getting it before I go home for christmas. Seattle's parking laws require you to not have a vehicle parked in the same spot for more than a couple of days. They don't check too often in Magnolia, but when they do, you've got 24 hrs to move it. It would suck to get back from Christmas and find out it was impounded. So...if I had a place to park it for a week and a half....

You know, none of you are making this any easier to just disregard as an impulse purchase...Damn you, yotatech, damn you!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:23 AM

Hehe...sorry "David's wallet"...

Yeah, if you need to park it somewhere for a while, I can hook you up.

Jim
Old 11-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks.... I think...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 10 vehicles in the driveway now. (9 cause the wife is at work) I could squeeze another cruiser in here someplace. Of coarse, they are better if they are driven every day.........I could arrainge it !!
Old 11-23-2003, 12:10 PM

Check out 4wdlow.com and look at the FJ40 for sale there. V8 engine, looks clean and ready to go!
Don't know if still for sale but check out all the pics
Old 11-23-2003, 12:40 PM

Re: Contemplating FJ-40 purchase.....

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Well, I've been thinking about picking up a project vehicle to keep me busy for the next little while, and am considering picking up a stock FJ-40 to restore and turn into my main off-roading rig. Another alternative would be an older toyota mini-truck, but I'm leaning towards the landcruiser at the moment. Any cruiserheads want to give me any advice for years to stay away from, years to look for, etc?

Things to look for:

Rust: EVERYWHERE! For the most part, rust on the body is repairable (it's a good bit of work, depending on where exactly is is, but it's repairable)

Frame: Make sure it's straight (simple enough)

As for years, look for a 75+ model... Those years have front disks and a 4 speed tranny. They've got ambulance doors on the rear, which will have to be removed if you want to run a bikini or soft top, but a tailgate is easy enough to fab up (and, if you go with a 40, you'll probably be fabbin' *A LOT* ) If I'm not mistaken, the 75+ have stronger birfs, too.

I've got a '73 w/a 327 small block chevy. The chevy engine makes it fairly easy to install OBA and power steering (although I've never tried fabbing any mounting brackets for the 2F engine)

If any of the rigs you look into have a Saginaw power steering setup (steering box up on the front-driver's side frame horn, where the original center arm went), check out the setup *THOROUGHLY*. If you seriously consider getting one with a Saginaw setup, check out http://www.ih8mud.com for their writeups on how to do the swap, then compare the rig's setup with the writeups.

You're going to have parking issues either way you go. Since I've gotten my Cruiser, I require a garage with any place I have now. It gets to be a bit of a PITA when it comes to looking at houses or apartments, especially since we're just renting. Around here, they'll bend you over the desk for decent place with a garage.

There's a certain pride that comes with owning a Cruiser... I don't know if it's the same with an older Toy truck, but with a Cruiser, pretty much regardless of how ratty it looks, you're proud of it, and you get all kinds of attention when driving it around

If you're serious about getting a 40, check out the Land Cruiser Mailing List archive at http://www.birfield.com/archives/html/landcruisers/ .

Good luck whichever way you go

ChrisCo
Old 11-23-2003, 12:48 PM

Just looking through the classifieds. My dad is still a ways off from buying another cruiser. He had a FJ50 way back when.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Hey ChrisCo,

I was wondering if you'd chime in, thanks for the pointers. Glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with renting/parking. My current lease is up in Feb. so I'd be looking for a house with a garage at that point. I think I could manage till then, either by just moving it every couple of days or taking Jim or Yoda up on some temporary parking arrangement.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:23 PM
CTB

I would also say definitely go for it. I just got my '79 this past March, and have been longing to work on it, but we had to keep it in PA for a few different reasons. I miss it so much! We are heading up there for Thanksgiving, but we will be there just long enough to tease me!
Old 11-23-2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Hey ChrisCo,

I was wondering if you'd chime in, thanks for the pointers. Glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with renting/parking. My current lease is up in Feb. so I'd be looking for a house with a garage at that point. I think I could manage till then, either by just moving it every couple of days or taking Jim or Yoda up on some temporary parking arrangement.
I almost didn't chime in I just happened to be taking a break from the grinder, and was checking out the other forums

Either route you go, waiting 'till Feb to start any work isn't necessarily a bad thing... That'd give you plenty of chance to figure out exactly what you want to do, research, and parts gathering

Safe parking is such an issue for me that I'm looking to *possibly* sell my Cruiser if we can't get into a house of our own by the time our lease is up in March. I'm paranoid that I'll get up some morning to find my Cruiser is gone...
Old 11-23-2003, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Engine-wise, would it just be easier sticking with something that already had the 350 swapped in? I've heard the stock engines have plenty of torque, but are a bit wimpy in the HP arena (not that I'd be using for long highway trips or anything).

Quick Reply: Contemplating FJ-40 purchase.....