RC Vehicles Discussion on remote controlled vehicles of all types

RC Rockcrawlers

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RC Rockcrawlers

searched, but couldn't find anything...

anybody got info on them? I kinda would like to build one up.

not including those walmart rockcrawlers. I want one that goes in more directions that straight!
Old 11-20-2003, 09:21 AM
Contributing Member

Find AdamF...he'll hook ya up
Old 11-20-2003, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

this is where I have been thinking about ordering a plane from:

http://www.towerhobbies.com/index.html

I get their catalog and they seem to have pretty good prices and alot of parts to build your own.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look for HPI Savage they are about the baddest off road rc truck nitrous powered engines and an unstopable suspinsion. It bad ass. I used to have one. I sold it to get a Schumacher Fusion - one of the fasted Rc cars out there. 4 wheel drive Bigblock Nitrous motor and three speed transmition i almost got it up to 80mph
Old 11-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by phorunninduke
Look for HPI Savage they are about the baddest off road rc truck nitrous powered engines and an unstopable suspinsion. It bad ass. I used to have one. I sold it to get a Schumacher Fusion - one of the fasted Rc cars out there. 4 wheel drive Bigblock Nitrous motor and three speed transmition i almost got it up to 80mph
got any pics? I got my wife talked into getting me a plane for christmas, hopefully before. hehe.

how much was the Schumacher Fusion? I wanted one of those HPI nitro Vipers.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:22 PM

INs, I have for you the only website you will ever need. Lately I have been spending more time on there then here, since I myself am actually creating one, from scratch for my engineering class... here it is:

www.rcmt.net

It is a board like this, however you do need to register so they can "screen" you, it takes a few days, and then you're in. The site is basically nothing but crawlers.

If you want my advice, don't get a savage. If you want a real crawler, you need solid axles, which means clodbuster (if you like to fabricate), TXT-1 (straight out of the box performance) Pajero (scale crawling, with IFS and rear solid, with optional locking diff parts). But crawl around the site and look at the many trucks there, just cover your keyboard, drool can fry circuits I think.

Also, check out my truck design, its under the Project trucks and tuber forum. The title for the thread is 2.2 krawler and it has alot of my Solidworks drawings and details on the design/build.

Welcome aboard!
Old 11-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by keisur
got any pics? I got my wife talked into getting me a plane for christmas, hopefully before. hehe.

how much was the Schumacher Fusion? I wanted one of those HPI nitro Vipers.
The Fusion was spendy. I got great deal for making this simple site for the local shop.

American Hobby Racing

Pictures of my savage.

I can not find fusion pics, it should have one with the viper body on it on the american hobby racing site.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:31 PM

i say go for the t-maxx...i have one thats all aluminum and has a italian nitro engine on it....I also have a hpi rs4 nitro touring car. I think the savages are real nice but there are more aftermarket parts for the t-maxx.

I order most of my parts from ebay, they are by far the cheapest. Tower hobbies is real good though if you want a little peace of mind...but after putting about 2000$ in my t-maxx cheaper is my mantra.

I think the rockcrawlers are just monster truvk rc cars with lots of hop up parts.....the real fun stuff is doing 15 foot jumps and watching the beast handle all the damage you can throw at it.

mymaxx will go around 55mph so watch your ankles.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Has anyone been here? Wish I had the money ..... If they made a first gen 4Runner back then, I would get one no matter what!
Old 11-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cabbage
Has anyone been here? Wish I had the money ..... If they made a first gen 4Runner back then, I would get one no matter what!
Thats kinda scary. Awesome but I could not enjoy it. Way to much work and effort to take a chance and ruin it. I Am however thinking of building a Scale 4runner Computer Like this one
Old 11-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Banned

http://showcase.netins.net/web/isuguy/housejump.wmv

i just found this video . awesome
Old 11-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by phorunninduke
http://showcase.netins.net/web/isuguy/housejump.wmv

i just found this video . awesome
DUDE! THATS CRAZY!
Old 11-21-2003, 07:40 PM

Hey cabbage, nice prerunner bar

What are you looking to do INs? Savages and T-maxxes (which by the way share the more valuable hop ups, wheels, bodies and tires) are nice, and the savage is more stout (thus needing less in the way of suspension mods), however they are a whole different world compared to rock crawlers.

Are you looking for fun, going high speed, jumping things, impressing buddies, or are you looking for skillful/tactical driving, crazy articulation and incredible torque?

Also, most rock crawlers aren't hopped up. Most any truck is scratch built, the axles and trannies are the only things copped from the base kit (except TXT-1 which is quite solid from the box). The chassies are made from 6061 aluminum, and usually just cut out using a hack saw and file.

I am in no way bashing on the Tmaxxes and savages, but he asked about crawlers, and they simply cannot perform the same as a 4linked clodbuster.

Oh, and about that mountaineer. The bruiser's (much like the mounty) are worth a ton on ebay. I saw a bruiser NIB (new in box) on ebay, and it was close to $2000 My dad had a bruiser and sold it before it gained value...
Old 11-21-2003, 08:06 PM

Old 11-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

I have an E-Maxx, which is the electric version of the T-Maxx with twin motors. I would love to have a T-Maxx, but didn't really want to mess with cleaning the fuel lines and having to tune it. Granted the E-Maxx isn't as fast, but I have fun with it just the same.

As far as crawling, neither of the Traxxas trucks will give you authentic crawling, but they are pretty fun. I have a pretty steep hill going down into woods behind my house and love standing at the top and driving it down in there. Usually there are chip monks or something else to chase around.

I love paint the clear lexan bodies, when I have the time. Here is my latest body, a '73 Ford Bronco.
Attached Thumbnails RC Rockcrawlers-e-maxx2.jpg  
Old 11-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Here is another one I did a while back. It is pretty fun around the track on race weekend.
Attached Thumbnails RC Rockcrawlers-e-maxx1.jpg  
Old 11-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by momo.75
Here is another one I did a while back. It is pretty fun around the track on race weekend.
I love the Bronco body, you should have put the blower on here
Old 11-21-2003, 10:20 PM

here is a pic of a true rockcrawler...its the best pic i could find.

talk about suspension..
Attached Thumbnails RC Rockcrawlers-x2.jpg  
Old 11-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by knemo77

talk about suspension..
does it have a functional winch too?
Old 11-22-2003, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by knemo77

talk about suspension..

HOLY HUGE FLEX BATMAN!

man that is crazy....

Is there any way to get in the door with these toys for less than $300?? It seems if you want a real rockcrawler (and not a radioshack one) you have to shell out $$$

Quick Reply: RC Rockcrawlers