Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Sig Sauer P229 9mm

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Sig P220, excellent gun, although it's a full-weight, full-frame gun.

For holster, I have a Milt Sparks Executives Companion IWB holster

This holster does very well to manage the fullsize gun in IWB form. It's a rather popular holster, they're running 60-90 days between orders and delivery.

And remember what they say about .45s vs. 9mms...

It takes five 9s to make .45
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Windsor
I have a Sig P220, excellent gun, although it's a full-weight, full-frame gun.

For holster, I have a Milt Sparks Executives Companion IWB holster

This holster does very well to manage the fullsize gun in IWB form. It's a rather popular holster, they're running 60-90 days between orders and delivery.

And remember what they say about .45s vs. 9mms...

That's a cool holster, too.
Looks like there a bunch of options out there.

I like the Galco because it's super soft and comfortable if for some reason it's against my skin - and I got it for $23.

As far as the whole .45 vs. 9mm.
I'll always be a 9mm fan - I've shot them all and the 9mm is my choice.

The rounds are cheaper, higher capacity, less recoil, quieter...all around a good mix.

That's all IMO of course.

It all goes back to man's fixation with size...

Fink
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
It all goes back to man's fixation with size..
That's what the .50 Desert Eagle is for.

When I started buying guns, I had to have a M1911A1. It went downhill from there.

Since I'm a simple man, I wanna keep my ammo supplies common (nearly all of my rifles are .30-'06 as well).
Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

That's what the .50 Desert Eagle is for.

Fink
Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 PM

Can't remember if I posted my latest Sig here. So just in case...

edit: This is not my actual one. Mine is locked in the safe in my room wherein the formidable Mrs Fuster slumbers like a grouchy bear. I dare not retrieve it for photos this late....

Last edited by fustercluck; 01-13-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fustercluck
Can't remember if I posted my latest Sig here. So just in case...

edit: This is not my actual one. Mine is locked in the safe in my room wherein the formidable Mrs Fuster slumbers like a grouchy bear. I dare not retrieve it for photos this late....
Wow...specs please!

Fink
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have one as well, i think its a 224. i love it too my only complaint is the 9 round magazine. my glock holds um... 17 i believe but theres the trade off in grip size so i donno.
overall, like the glock a lot better! sig is nice too tho
Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by algranger
i have one as well, i think its a 224. i love it too my only complaint is the 9 round magazine. my glock holds um... 17 i believe but theres the trade off in grip size so i donno.
overall, like the glock a lot better! sig is nice too tho
My 229 holds 13+1 in the chamber.
If I have to fire more than 14 times - I want a bigger gun.

What things about the Glock do you like more?

Fink
Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 229 holds 13+1 in the chamber.
If I have to fire more than 14 times - I want a bigger gun.

What things about the Glock do you like more?

Fink
oh 13 isn't too bad, i was a little disapointed with 9.
the balance and overall feel of it even though it has that fat ass grip. also the plastic hehe. very comfortable to shoot and handle
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by algranger
oh 13 isn't too bad, i was a little disapointed with 9.
the balance and overall feel of it even though it has that fat ass grip. also the plastic hehe. very comfortable to shoot and handle
The feel of the plastic is what drives me nuts about the Springfields, Glocks and Smiths.

The all metal frame/slide is where it's at - as far as I'm concerned.
Seems to handle the recoil a lot better too.

Fink
Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Fink, it is a p220 sport. Production was from 2005-ish to 2007-ish (this is a guess). It has an effective compensated muzzle with a flash chamber. Two stage trigger and a 7.7" sight radius with fully adjustable rear sight (windage/elevation). I think of all of my target arms, this one is the silkiest with the most tame muzzle rise. I have the factory grips, the Houge grips pictured and some factory walnut grips for display. Retail price was about 1300.00. I saw one for sale at 2200.00 last week. Don't know if it went at that price though. They are pretty rare.

When the bear stirs in the morning, I'll try to get some pics of it.

Last edited by fustercluck; 01-13-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I looked at the sig when i was helping my grandma pick out a gun. But it was just a little to heavy for her. She ended up falling in love with the taurus melinium pro in a really neat looking silver/black finish.
Helping grandma pick out a gun Gracie? Was this for target shooting or personal/home/vehicle defence? If the latter it's a sad comment on the state of our society when old folks are getting hassled and have to resort to packing heat when they should be respected and looked out for by everyone...
For the home/vehicle def. if I could I'd go for the Taurus "Judge"... for close in action I don't think you can do much better than the shotgun shells it chambers. You are giving up some rounds with the revolver vs. the auto but I think it would be enough to get the job done none the less.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fustercluck
Fink, it is a p220 sport. Production was from 2005-ish to 2007-ish (this is a guess). It has an effective compensated muzzle with a flash chamber. Two stage trigger and a 7.7" sight radius with fully adjustable rear sight (windage/elevation). I think of all of my target arms, this one is the silkiest with the most tame muzzle rise. I have the factory grips, the Houge grips pictured and some factory walnut grips for display. Retail price was about 1300.00. I saw one for sale at 2200.00 last week. Don't know if it went at that price though. They are pretty rare.

When the bear stirs in the morning, I'll try to get some pics of it.
Seems to be a truly nice piece of machinery.
If I was more into sport shooting - or should I say better at it, I'd probably choose a Sig.

I fell in love with Sig the first time I shot one.

I'll look forward to those pics...

Fink
Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM

With some revolvers, only a couple rounds are necessary

Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is awesome.
I will need to look into something like that.

I love Rock River and Bushmaster.
DPMS is a favorite of mine too - but all equal $$$$.

Fink
I have actually had the Del-ton copared to bushmasters in quality. And virtually everyone says they are better then DPMS (plus they don't have a 3 year backorder).

If you so wanted you can get the basic kit with no frills for $450 i think it was + lower reciver. I got a fwe extras on mine though so the price came up to $600. But you can't even think about finding a used gun for that price so i figured might as well spend a little more and get those goodies.

I actually bought 2 kits, the second kit i left the upper off though since i am not sure what kind of upper i want. I might do a 6.5/6.8 conversion to the second lower i have.

Originally Posted by aviator
Helping grandma pick out a gun Gracie? Was this for target shooting or personal/home/vehicle defence? If the latter it's a sad comment on the state of our society when old folks are getting hassled and have to resort to packing heat when they should be respected and looked out for by everyone...
For the home/vehicle def. if I could I'd go for the Taurus "Judge"... for close in action I don't think you can do much better than the shotgun shells it chambers. You are giving up some rounds with the revolver vs. the auto but I think it would be enough to get the job done none the less.
It was for all of the above. She had an old charter arms revolver from the 60's around the house for years. She never shot it though, only shot my guns when we went shooting. One day i asked her if she wanted to shoot it and she said she didn't like revolvers, so i asked why that is what whe has int he house?

BTW, in that 40 year old gun, guess what kind of bullets i found? They were teflon hollow point bullets! or something like it, they were black and just as heck not metal. Strangest thing i had seen, wish i had kept one instead of shooting them all.

So she sold that and we went looking for another gun for her.

Narrowed it down to the Glock 19 (i have this and it is what she likes to shoot when she is with me).

The M&P 9mm, due to the adjustable grips.

The sig (forgot which model).

the new Ruger SR9 (which i think she might have chosen had anyone had one in stock and not just the display gun).

S&W sigma, she didn't like the trigger pull or how the gun worked.

Then looked at the Mellinium Pro, she feel in love with that one at first sight. Nice, compact, easy to rack, easy to aim, easy trigger pull, good ammo capasity. I have to say the gun is quite nice.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

The feel of the plastic is what drives me nuts about the Springfields, Glocks and Smiths.

Fink
You know i like an all metal frame for target shooting or for just messing around but when i am going to be carring something all day i want a poly frame.

I am a big fan of glocks (like my avatar is no give away). My main gun is a Model 30 .45 compact. Easy to wear but yet has hitting power to do the job. Oh yeah, did i mention i get 13 rounds of .45 when i use the 21 mags, same as your 9mm?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 AM

ditto.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I like that Ruger SR9... I tried the previous version of it once in gun shop in WI [i think it was] I liked the feel and weight... it was'nt too big and I could get a good grip on it. And the list price makes it affordable...
Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 AM

speaking of handguns, this is a good watch...

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/...st_Gunman_Ever
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

speaking of handguns, this is a good watch...

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/...st_Gunman_Ever
Agreed, bob mundon (SP?) is amazing to watch. That is old, he still does shooting today, he is on shooting USA quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Sig Sauer P229 9mm