Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too

Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
time to remove the moles in my lawn....over kill, i think not. hehe
Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the .22 AR's are springing up everywhere due to ammo prices, pretty sweet deal.

i just picked one of these up monday, it's Remington's new 597 VTR, the quad rail/collapsable stock version of the original 597 in .22, the .17hmr/.22 mag versions were recently recalled.

i got a foregrip, scope, sling and some other goodies on it already, it's the wife's christmas present!

I got a sweet deal on this too, got it for $509 out the door.... bought a bunch of extra 10 and 30rd mags for it too... now I gotta dial it in and see what ammo she likes...

That S&W is a cut above the VTR though, it's the cadillac of .22 AR's...
Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's some slight differences between 223 remington and 5.56 NATO.

Never, ever fire a 5.56 in a chamber marked .223. Expect troubles.

However, fire all the 223 you want in a 5.56 chambered gun. No worries. 5.56 is hotter and speced faster.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by aa1911
Get an optic on there and she'll be a beast!! nice setup you got going man. Now go to my website and buy a whole bunch of pouches and kit for it! hahaha

www.amicktactical.com
Will have to check out the pouches, thanks.
So many optics out there, it is really confusing.
I would like one with a red, green, or amber dot in it, and also have some magnification to it for shooting paper targets up in the mountains.

I have seen some where you have to have your holographic sight behind, and the magnifier in front of it.
I would rather have an all in one unit that can do both if that exists.
Originally Posted by fadedsun

However, fire all the 223 you want in a 5.56 chambered gun. No worries. 5.56 is hotter and speced faster.
Thanks, next batch I pick up for this one will be some cheaper 223.
I think I paid around $400 for the 900 or so rounds of the Federal 5.56 I bought a few years back.
That was when you could still get it fairly easy.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:28 AM
TMP

I really want one of those S&W uppers now!!
Good place for ammo: wideners
My fav parts outlet: bravocompany, which makes the best charging hande IMHO: bcm gunfighter (large handle)
Good cheap optics: primary arms
Once you catch black rifle disease you have it for life! Lol
Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by fadedsun

Glad someone mentioned this. 5.56 ammo is meant for a chamber with more freebore and loaded to a higher pressure. Run them through .223 chamber and there's a much higher chance of having a KABOOM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
Will have to check out the pouches, thanks.
So many optics out there, it is really confusing.
I would like one with a red, green, or amber dot in it, and also have some magnification to it for shooting paper targets up in the mountains.

I have seen some where you have to have your holographic sight behind, and the magnifier in front of it.
I would rather have an all in one unit that can do both if that exists.

Thanks, next batch I pick up for this one will be some cheaper 223.
I think I paid around $400 for the 900 or so rounds of the Federal 5.56 I bought a few years back.
That was when you could still get it fairly easy.
Wow! You can get 5.56 spec ammo from DSG arms or AIM for 300$ plus shipping. 5.56 stuff is better for serious, social use while 223 is fine for practice at the range. Even steel case is fine for practice. Save your brass and reload. The big thing to the lethality of the 5.56 is fragmentation and cavitation, which it does pretty well.

My little "blaster"

Yes, she has a happy switch.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Corey, as for the optic, a good choice it sounds like for what you want would be Leupold's CQT reflex/scope combo (they're $800 though)... they have a dot (3 and 9 MOA at 0 and 3x) with a large ring for close up work and it has a single AA battery that illuminates it if you want (I usually don't use it). the great part is that it is a 0-3 power optic so it is a reflex sight and a small scope if need be. It is very resiliant, the only drawback to this optic is the weight and price.

Just my opinion, but I would stay away from EOTechs if you want any kind of precision past 100M, the reticle in those things is terrible. AND they need batteries to work, not a great idea... Trijicon makes some super slick and small reflex optics with great dots/triangles but they are also pricey and they don't have any magnification. Their ACOG is a fantastic sight but it is NOT a reflex site, strictly a scope. With a little practice it does work fine close up though.

Just my 2 cents... I've used just about everything out there.

I have an ELCAN optic for work right now and that thing is big and ugly but it is hands down the best thing out there right now IMO, it's $1800 and almost impossible to get if you're not the government. maybe in a year or so they will start selling them in the free market.... I can only hope....
Old 12-10-2010, 11:01 AM

I have 2 diff uppers for mine...a 24 inch and a 16. The 24 has a 4.5-14x40 nikon bdc...best scope ever. the 16 has an aimpoint. its good out to 100 m but it has a 4 mil reticle so at 100 the reticle covers 4 inches. not that a 16 in upper is meant for long range. both optics are awesome for what they are intended. love to see that im not the only one here with BGD (black gun disease)
Old 12-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Nice blaster above.
Thanks again for the info guy's.

I may or may not even need an optic.
Most of the stuff I will be shooting at in the mountains with the AR15 and the S&W one I am picking up later will be paper targets, tin cans, (save those Progresso soup cans ) and maybe some metal plates.

I am running out of time tonight to get my next mod done, so more than likely I will post pics of it tomorrow, and I will share my thought on it, as I took it to work the other day.
The new addition, not the AR
Lets just say I was more than overly impressed with it, and this was in in the morning when it was light out.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Part II

Well, I had some free time

Well, Santa paid me another visit

When I left the store last weekend, my sling was not put on, and I thought the way to attach it was in the sack with all the other stuff, but not so.
What I needed was a quick disconnect (QD) made for the Magpul stock I have, you insert the QD into a hold in the stock.
I can still use the stock sling mount up front.
VLTOR Quick Detachable Sling Swivel

When I was at the shop drooling over that Surefire X400 last weekend, Monday I gave it more thought as I have wanted a laser for my AR15 for a long time, and you can transfer them to a hand gun too.

If I kept the light ring that was just put on the AR15 I would have to spend another $65 for a nice Surefire light and buy a separate laser for around $200 or more, thus having two items now on the front.

The Surefire X400 is half the size of my Surefire G2X Pro flashlight as the batteries go side by side, plus it has a laser underneath the light.
With the Surefire X400 being an all in one unit, it saves weight up front and is darn cool, and it was marked down on sale from what it shows on their website.
Surefire LED Handgun / Long Gun WeaponLight with Laser - X400

The light is 170 lumens which is blinding, just a little less than my G2x Pro light at 200 lumens.
The laser is very bright too at 5 milliwatt, in fact Surefire claims it is one of the brightest ones out there right now.

I just got done putting on the sling and X400 a few minutes ago.

Below is a picture of how the sling now mounts to the new stock.
I am not sure if I even have the sling on properly.
To be honest with you, when I have shot it before, I feel more comfortable not using one.

Here is a comparison size picture of the light I had on the AR15 for a bit compared to the new X400 light/laser combo.

I wanted to mount the new light/laser setup below the rail, but the stock sling mount up front is in the way, and it looks like it is held in with a pop rivet.
Even if I was able to remove, where would you mount a new one?

Closeup of the X400.

Flash on camera on, light on only.

Flash on camera off, light on only.

I took a picture with the light and laser both on, but it did not turn out even though I could see the red dot near the center of the lights beam with my eye.

Laser on only.

Camera flash on and laser only.

I took the X400 to work Wednesday as a coworker is wanting to get one, and he wanted to check it out.
I notice when you aim the laser on a nearby wall the dot is kind of small.
Outside at work later that day in the daylight I tested it out by aiming it at the side of an adjacent building about 150' or so from me, and the red dot was no longer a small dot as it appeared to me to be about the size of a softball or bigger.
Weird huh?
I thought it was going to be hard to see it from so far away in the direct light, but I was wrong.
The dot was HUGE, and very easy to see.

This has me thinking if I set out some targets up where I go shooting and stand back at a good distance, I will be able to line the laser up on the target, and maybe get a good shot in.
Will have to experiment with the setup next spring/summer after the snow melts.
Right now where I go shooting there is several feet of snow, it is pretty high up.

If I pick up the S&W before to long, I will try out the X400 on it at the indoor range which is not to far from me.
That is if they allow you to use one in there.
I am very impressed with the X400 though for its light and laser output.

They have three nice YouTube videos on this Surefire X400.
The second and third video are linked from within the first video.

SureFire X400 live fire video (part 1 of 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSZ1d...layer_embedded
Old 12-10-2010, 07:38 PM

i do lots of work on ar's i do hydrographics we have multi-cam'd several also some in digital camo
Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have seen a few of the receivers on ARs with a custom zombie graphic.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
My local shop...
http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/...p?Redirected=Y
a buddy of my family owns it... hes trying to get me to buy the parts to build an AR, but i wanna buy my SA XD40 first...
Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by space-junk
My local shop...
http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/...p?Redirected=Y
a buddy of my family owns it... hes trying to get me to buy the parts to build an AR, but i wanna buy my SA XD40 first...
Nice site, was checking out the gallery just now.

I think I am going to look into a different sling mount up front, maybe take off the front stock mount and go with one that goes on the lower rail so it sits between the Grip Pod and the Surefire, or hangs off of the front sight.

I have not shot in awhile, so now I am getting the hankering for getting that S&W so I can hit the local indoor range.
No worries about the weather then...
Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Part III

You knew there was going to be one right
I swear, that jolly St. Nick will not leave me alone, I must have been very good this year.

I mentioned earlier I do not have much experience with slings, and I found the stock one somewhat cumbersome.
I just got back from the shop as I wanted the front stock sling mount removed (they punched out the pin setup), and a rail setup with a QD on it for the sling.
They mounted a rail mount one that comes with a QD of its own, but I am not using the QD.
I also wanted the stock sling mount moved so I could put the Surefire X400 light/laser underneath the rifle instead of off to the side like I had it yesterday.
Daniel Defense Rail Mount QD Swivel Attachment

I was going to go with the stock sling when the guy who has been working with me the last two weekends showed me a very cool sling that has its own QDs built into it.
SKT Industries Adjustable QD Sling - 2 Point
I am now a fan of this setup.
Not only is it easily removable from the rifle via the QDs, but it is a sling I will use everytime from now on.
You put the sling over your shoulder and your arm through it and pull a black strap to lower the rifles tip down towards your feet and snug the rifle up against you.

When you want to loosen the sling to allow you to bring up the rifle, you pull a green strap.
Very simple set and well thought out.

I also wanted some new mags, so I picked up a few of the Magpul 30 round PMag ones.
Magpul 30 Round PMag
These are not suppose to jam like some other ones out there.
My other ones are some old Colt mags that I bought online a few years back.

While I was there he showed me his custom 308 setup that is a piston setup instead of the normal gas setup like mine.
He had an AAC flash suppressor on the end of it that also allows an AAC silencer/suppressor to mount over it.

I found out if is legal to own and mount a silencer in the state of WA., but you can not shoot with it.
I would have to go to Oregon or Idaho to do that.
You also have to apply for the tax stamp which is around $200 to have to say you have the right to own one.
This is probably something I will not do, as right now I feel I would not get my monies worth out of it since I have not traveled to either of those two states in quite awhile.
But it was informative to know that you can legally buy and own one in my state.

Will there be a part four?
Probably down the road some, as I looked at an Aimpoint and an Eotech optic today.
I looked at both battery ones, and the kind that use radioactive materiel in them to power the dot you see inside.
I will have to look more into that later.
Also with my fixed carry handle on top, that would make an optic sit up rather high.
One will mount to my rail/hand guard system, but he mentioned it could get some vibration there.
Has anyone mounted theirs there on an actual hand guard, or is that asking for problems?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a nice AR one of my friends has several all sorts of calibers including a fully decked out LMT tactical.I am good friends with the local gun store owner so we shoot with those guys all the time and they have some nice AR's. so I've never needed to own one but i would, I'm glad to see that you are gun smart and dont own a junk AR with junk accessories. nice gun heres my favorite project that i currently own ive done a little work to it lately its a factory marksman with a now 1.2lb trigger

Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 AM

the QD rail mount swivel is my personal favorite but my old mainstay is a heavy duty zip tie or 550 cord around the handguard slip ring to attach the sling thru. the goal is to get the front end of the sling as close to where the barrel/receiver mate up and on the back, either the buttstock or another ziptie around the tube right behind the receiver works great, just watch charging handle interference and you won't be able to quite collapse it completely by 1/4"....

sweet AR Corey, let us know if you get any optics or not! I build 'em from scratch, if you ever have any questions or problems with her, let me know...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 AM

oh, here's a link to brownells site and the extended tac latch I like, they are low profile so they don't snag like the bigger ones but have plenty of purchase for lightening fast immediate action on the rifle:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4...Tactical_Latch

$20 and just need to push out a roll pin to change it out, if you have the discount, they are only $15. there's a bunch of others on there too for around $10...
Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

ThATseems like a strange little WA law... you can own and mount the silencer... but you can't shoot with it... why even have it then?

at least you can have them...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too