Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
Hey, we are back on again.
I am going there after work tomorrow and look at a new front quad free floater handguard, low profile gas block to fit underneath of it, and the Diamond front sight I bought from them will work on it.

I will also get a matching Diamondhead rear sight to replace the Magpul polymer one.

Its only money
Then this rifle is done except for maybe the Acog down the road.
I want to get another rifle still, or the KSG if it is out yet.
If you can work on the own truck, you can do most of the work on your AR. It really isn't that hard, but it can be intimidating since you're dealing with a firearm. If you ar mechanically inclined, I could walk you through changing a gas block and adding a rail with relative ease. I like the look and function of a low-pro gas block hiding under a nice, long free float rail. I'm a big fan of the Troy Industries stuff, but there are plenty of others out there that make quality stuff.

On the KSG, I want one real bad. Have since SHOT show. But Kel-Tec is notorious for missing release dates by a BIG margin. And with it now being featured in COD:MW3, I expect supply to come nowhere near keeping up with demand.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by russ_
If you can work on the own truck, you can do most of the work on your AR. It really isn't that hard, but it can be intimidating since you're dealing with a firearm. If you ar mechanically inclined, I could walk you through changing a gas block and adding a rail with relative ease. I like the look and function of a low-pro gas block hiding under a nice, long free float rail. I'm a big fan of the Troy Industries stuff, but there are plenty of others out there that make quality stuff.

On the KSG, I want one real bad. Have since SHOT show. But Kel-Tec is notorious for missing release dates by a BIG margin. And with it now being featured in COD:MW3, I expect supply to come nowhere near keeping up with demand.
I do not have a gun vise or other tools here to work on guns.
Their labor at that shop is pretty reasonable for the work being done.
I am going to see how the 10" long free floater looks later today.

Yeah, that KSG was suppose to come out in August, not even sure if it has been produced yet for the masses.

Here is the one I am looking at.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2481

Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Why not get an under mount laser sight [if they have]? low profile and will help you hit what you're aiming at with greater precision...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by aviator
Why not get an under mount laser sight [if they have]? low profile and will help you hit what you're aiming at with greater precision...
My laser I have can be mounted in any position.
Check it out, it is near the beginning of this thread.

I pick the gun up after work later today.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Nice Santa avatar... You know you're going to scare any little kids that see it right? lol

Have fun at the range this weekend with your toys...
Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Part V Completed

Originally Posted by aviator
Nice Santa avatar... You know you're going to scare any little kids that see it right? lol

Have fun at the range this weekend with your toys...
He is a tad scary
No indoor range around where I can shoot this Paul.
I am going to join a policeman's outdoor range out by one of my job sites.
Can shoot the AR15 there just fine.

Just got back from the shop ago, and the rifle is to sexy to put back in its case

Before with the quad picatinny rail they put on and the new upper with the picatinny rail the Delta ring between the two broke up the flow on top.
Here is an older pic with the Delta ring in the middle directly above the GripPod.

With the new free floating quad rail, there is no need for the Delta ring, it has its own setup.
It looks much more even flowing.

The 10" quad rail worked out perfectly.
They had it in a shorter/longer version, but the 10" goes out one inch out past the gas block which is about directly below the front flip up sight.

I like how the new quad rail has built in integrated quick disconnect attachment sockets for the sling.

Parts used:

Magpul MBUS Gen2 - Front
The Gen 1 like my rear sight are being phased out, the Gen 2 are out now.

Gas Block: Daniel Defense Low Profile Clamp Style - .625

Centurion Arms C4 Rail System - 10.0

This completes the build on this rifle.
Well, maybe that Acog down the road still.
I really want to get the S&W AR15-22 MOE next.
Can shoot it at any indoor range, and for pennies since it is a 22 caliber.
I think the jolly fatman in the red suit will be bringing me one for Christmas this year.

Model M&P15-22 MOE Rifle - Magpul® Sights, Stock and Grip

Old 12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

More Black Rifle Madness, Thank You Santa

Early Christmas gift
Picked up the S&W M&P 15-22 today, along with a few accessorizes for it.
The ammo I bought for it was on the recommended list in the manual for the gun which I had printed out that page the other day at work to show the store for an ammo purchase.

This new rifle is cool!
They have had good sales of this unit there, and I talked to a customer in the store who had shot his dad's, and he really likes it too.

This rifle will be used at the local indoor range that is on my way to work, and also to take camping fro plinking.
Now you see why I wanted this for target practice and general plinking.
$500 rounds of 5.56 ammo for my Colt AR15 is around $200 or so.
I paid $400 for 1,000 rounds a few years back when I bought the Colt.

While I was there I asked about optics for it. and recommended the Leupold 63300 Tactical Prismatic 1x14 Riflescope.
It does have a red recticle in it, but unlike the Red Dot brand, the recticle is still there but in black if you turn the battery off.

The one the sales guy showed me had the flip up dust covers on it too, I do not know if it comes with them or not.
They wanted around $475 for it, I am going to shop around online for the best price.
Anyone familiar with this Leupold, and do you recommend it for general target practice?

I have twelve days off during the Christmas Boeing break, so I will get a chance to run some rounds through this cool new addition to my armory

Here are a few pics:

Unboxing
With everything but the boresnake out.
Forgot to open up the box from UPS.

Side shot
I had my Grip-Pod on the Colt AR15 all the way forward, but it was kind of tippy with a 30 round magazine, and the AR22 is the same way with its 25 round magazine.
So I moved both the Grip-Pods back some so they will not tip over, and I think I like the grip closer to me.
The adjustable stocks though, I find it is more comfortable having them in their farthest out position.

A pair of ARs
Hard to tell them apart almost.
The 5.56 one is the one with the sling on it.

Side view of both ARs

Links:
The store I buy from does not have a website, so here are some online links to the gear.

Model M&P15-22 MOE Rifle
Magpul® Sights, Stock and Grip (The store I went to have 'em for $499.99)

Smith & Wesson Magazine S&W M&P 15-22 22 Long Rifle
25-Round Polymer Black

US Peacekeeper Assault Case
Model P20040 (40")

500rds - 22LR Federal American Eagle 40gr. HV Solid Point Ammo
[AE5022] (I paid $19.99 for 500, just a tad more than this online place.)

Still, 500 rounds less than what I paid for each of the extra magazines.
I did not realize .22 ammo was so cheap.

Grip-Pod
GPSLE Law Enforcement Model

Hoppe's Boresnake Viper Rifle Bore Cleaner .22 & 5.56

Daniel Defense Rail Mount QD Swivel Attachment
Already had this left over from my non floating quad Picatinny rail on the AR15, as it is not needed on my new free floating rail on the Colt I had installed last week.
The Magpul MOE stock on the S&W does not have a built in QD like my CRT stock does on the Colt, but there is a QD sling mount on the S&W just below the charging handle.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Very nice new toys Corey... every time I see those 30-25 round mags I lament the fact that we here are allowed only 10s....
Don't know if you have one yet but I'd still want a Taurus Judge with shot gun rounds for a bedside drawer "friend"... Shot gun rounds have less chance of going through walls and hitting unintended targets as well as requiring less "accuracy" to stop the intruder.
For a concealed carry arm a Ruger 9mm... love that half cock safety lock... safe and easy to get into action fast if needed... I'd go 45 but I don't know if they have the same feature on the heavier round...
Old 12-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Nice rifles Corey. The M&P is a ton of fun, my dad has both the rifle and the pistol version. If you stay away from the Remington bulk .22 ammo, you'll be fine. The AR turned out really nice as well.

@aviator - look into the S&W Governor, their version of the Judge. It's a better overall package than the Judge. The cylinder is cut to accept moon clips allowing you to use .45 ACP ammo as well as .410 shotgun and .45 Long Colt. This opens up a much better selection of both self defense rounds and cheap plinking rounds. It comes with both full and partial moon clips so you can stagger your load between .45 ACP and .410. Plus, it's not a Taurus. I'm just not a fan of Taurus quality (lack of, that is).

Last edited by russ_; 12-10-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Paul.
I knew I should have got more mags, I am off to order four more online for the new 22.
I just loaded three of them for when I hit the range, and it is nice to have more than that loaded up so you do not have to fiddle with it at the range.

Thanks Russ, I like the way the 5.56 has become its own beast from the day I bought it.
The 22 is going to be great for pumping lots of low cost ammo through.

Yes, I read in S&W's info to stay away from anything Remington for this model.
The guy really liked that ammo he suggested I get.
Still can not get over the price of it.
500 rounds for less than a pizza.

That S&W Governor sounds like a good one, will have to read up on it.
Wanted to get home yesterday from the store, or I would have stayed longer to look at other cool gear.
They have the Stargate rifle there, the P90.
Legal to buy and shoot, since this one is a semi automatic, and not the full auto like they used on Stargate.

PS, Russ, is this the pistol?
Smith & Wesson Model M&P22
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hopefully the end of the new 22 build :)

Gosh, this is an expensive hobby
I just got back from the custom AR15 shop by me that has customized my Colt AR15.

Bought four more of the S&W 25 round magazines online today, and I just picked up the exact same sling that I have on the bigger AR.
Asked about optics while I was there, and the owner showed me one that is out of China, but it is not cheaply made like some of the Ebay ones from China.
The Tacoma Police Department and other have been testing this unit and have put it through a lot of abuse and they have found no faults with it.

It has both red and green dots, pretty cool, and adjustable brightness.
The dot disappears though when the unit is turned off, but I really did not want to spend the $500 for the Leupold one I looked at yesterday that works both with power on and off.

Might hit the indoor range tomorrow, or next weekend to try out this new 22.

Just got the optic mounted and I like it!
The green and red dot are very easy to see, and I will most likely run them at full brightness.
Also with the included ring mount that is meant for flat top ARs like both of mine are with the Picatinny rails, you can flip up the Magpul sights and use them along with this scope, it was designed to be at the correct height, as this is an AR15 scope.

I also think I really do not need the ACOG for the AR15, as I can use this optic on it too.
It also came with a 2X magnifier that screws onto the rear of the scope, but have not tired out out yet.

Green dot

Red dot

Links:
SKT Industries Adjustable QD Sling - 2 Point

Vortex StrikeFire Red/Green Dot Scope

Old 12-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

Nice looking scope Corey
Thanks for then link on the governor... what's the difference with the grips? the gun with that crimson laser grip thingy looks pricey at $899.00 list. and I did'nt see any laser sight on it...
Old 12-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Thanks Paul.
PS, Russ, is this the pistol?
Smith & Wesson Model M&P22
Nope, this one. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 AM

any one here going to shot show in jan?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 PM

[quote=russ_;51815292]
Originally Posted by russ wharton
Product sample! Product sample!

No really, I just about bought the BattleComp 1.5 for the upper I'm building right now. Those things are pricey. But the guys that I've talked to using them say they are worth every penny.
sorry been out for a while i dont think i can get any samples out. sorry but i would say that yes it is a great product ( i am not employed by them but i do work for one of their manufactures) but they are also good people they loaned me a rife to run a cabine class with a few weeks ago and it had a battlecomp 2.0 and it shot like a dream. but it also ruined me for my build i was planning on doing a budjet build and then i am running a daniel defence upper with an aimpoint rds all day. now the cheap stuff i was planning on running on my projects just looks / feels like trash...-o- well
Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by russ_
Very nice!
I would like one, but the site says it is no longer available, unless some stores still have it.
Nice that is uses the exact same magazines as my new 22.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 AM

Very nice!
I would like one, but the site says it is no longer available, unless some stores still have it.
Nice that is uses the exact same magazines as my new 22.

Yup, that's it. It's an absolute riot to shoot. Bet you could find one on Bud's or GunBroker.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 AM

If you cant find the S&W one there is always the option of building your own. I have wanted to build one up using a Model 1 upper and a Young MFG lower.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That is a pretty cool little gun.

On that Strikefire optic I bought for $150, if anyone is interested in learning more about it, the Tube is full of videos on it,
Here is one where the guy goes in depth on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxX1_CuFJgM

Video from Vortex on their scope.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/content/strikefire_red_dot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxG5QezB1R4
Old 12-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

If anyone is thinking about getting one of these M&P 15-22 rifles, here is a 40 minute review.
This guy goes in depth on it.
Lots of comments and feedback on the page there too.

S&W 15-22: "Sheep in Wolf's Clothing" by Nutnfancy

Quick Reply: Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too