Corey's 2007 FJ Cruiser Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by b.miller123
Hey Corey,

This is way off topic, but did you know that someone is using a pic of your old 4runner? They are using it on this site:
http://www.4by4connection.com/totrsuvarbbu.html
Just scroll down and click on, well, the picture of your 4runner
I don't know if you care or not, just thought you might want to know,

And when your son gets back from Iraq, tell him I said thanks for protecting our freedom, and that comes from a Navy veteran
Hi B, yes, I asked them long ago if they wanted to use my picture, as the one they had at the time was very pixelated.

Will do, I will let my son know.
And thank you for serving for our freedom in the past too.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey I just wanted to tell you, you have the sickest FJ I've ever seen/read about. I'm definitly getting some of those "M-packs" to throw behind my seat. Any news on the tent?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by Joe's Toy
Corey I just wanted to tell you, you have the sickest FJ I've ever seen/read about. I'm definitly getting some of those "M-packs" to throw behind my seat. Any news on the tent?
Thanks for the comps man, they are much appreciated.

The M-Packs rock, even my supervisor likes them when he saw that I carry survival kits in them.

I am still debating on the roof top tent.
Taking a break from doing mods for awhile too with the nasty weather here.

May have the body mount chop done within a few months, then later this spring I will look into a rear bumper.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Maggiolina AirLand Roof Top Tent installed 3-21-2008

Spring has sprung, thus a new year of mods having been dormant over this past winter.

There is a constant joke on a few FJ Cruiser forums that goes around in threads asking "Can you sleep in it."
Of course you can, member LandCruiserSteve (a moderator over on fjcruiserforums.com) has proven that by building a nice bed system in the back of his rig that accommodates him very well.

With the way I have my rig setup in the back, that will not work out for me.

I have been looking at roof top tents as of late, and finally settled on a fiberglass one made in Italy like Wayne has.
Many thanks to Wayne (member KD7NAC_07FJ) for helping me make a selection on this model, it is the same one he has on his FJ Cruiser, the medium model.

Wayne used Yakima Lowrider clamps on the stock FJ rack, and then 58" crossbars held in place via the Lowriders.
The AirLand mounts to the crossbars.

I went to the shop Friday the 21st of March to get it installed, and they recommend I use four crossbars instead of two to distribute the weight, as that is the way they have been doing them.

I just got done opening it up for the first time since I left the shop after the install, and I am really impressed with the quality of the AirLand unit.

It cranks up just like a tent trailer (I have owned two of them in the past) after undoing two latches up front, and one latch back aft.

After cranking it up you can grab the aluminum ladder from inside and extend it.
It is fully adjustable to accommodate any vehicle.

Once I had the ladder up I climbed inside and took out the three pillow it came with and put the flannel pillow cases on that I bought.
For the medium AirLand tent, full size sheets are a perfect fit.
The bottom sheet is a fitted one, with the top sheet being the normal tuck in type.
I still need to pick up a warm down comforter, and the size that will fit will be a twin as to not have to much over the sides.

Getting up and down the ladder for me was not that difficult at all.
Now when exiting the tent and coming down backwards, you want to use caution since you can not see the rungs, you feel for them with your feet.
If I can do it, anyone can.

After getting the sheets on and the pillows in place, I climbed up inside for a few pictures of the interior, then I laid out like I was going to sleep in it.
There is plenty of room, and my feet do not even touch the ends of the tent wall.
I am about 5'10", and I did not feel cramped at all.
There is plenty of room for a second person too, and possibly a child if you have one.
It would be better with just two people though.

And not once did it feel rickety to me.
It was very stable, and a very cool feeling being up in the air like that.
I have a feeling I am going to sleep very well in this tent.
The best thing of all is being able to pull into a site whether in a regular campground, or when you are out 4wheeling, Overlanding/exploring, and just whip out the hand crank and crank up the tent and have your bed all setup in less than one minute.
This is the real advantage to a unit like this.

Here are a few pictures of the AirLand.

Links:
Maggiolina AirLand tent
Autohome's main site in Italy
Lowrider clamps
58" crossbars
Rack n Road Bellevue, WA. store
Full size flannel sheets
The comforter I may get if they get it back in stock

The Rack n Road store I visited (official reseller of these for WA. state as seen on AutoHome's website) has a team of top notch installers/manager working there.
Evan (store manager) and Colin were the two installers who installed it.

Shortly before I left too YotaTech member nickr9287 showed up, he also works for the Bellevue store and is an installer.

If looking for a system like this or any Yakima or Thule type of gear for your rig around our area, give these guy's a call.
Great team to work with.

Probably around sometime in May I will have some camping pictures from up at Greenwater with the tent all setup in the outdoors, and some other new camping gear I have been hoarding up on for a good time out in the woods.

With this I think my rig is nearing completion.
Still have to settle on a rear bumper, there are still a few in works.
The selection is getting bigger all the time.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Looks pretty sweet Corey...
I'm surprised your younger son did'nt insist on sleeping in there the other night when he was over...

Just read some of your other posts... Boeing Want the employees to carry there own "survival" food in case they get "stuck" at work for an extended period? Hope they pay for it...
I don't know that I'd go to work with the tent on top... if your bosses are anything like my boss they'd want you to stay all the time because "you'don't need to go home to sleep"...
You might want to try one of those Thule/Yakima wind deflector things on the front of your roof rack to help stop the air from getting under there at highway speeds, it will help cut down your wind resisatance, reducing the stress on the attachment poibts of the tent and improving your fuel consumption #s... just a thought...
of course a full set of off-road lights would look sweet up there too...
Old 03-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Paul.

I may have to look into the air dam thing too.

No, my son and I watched TV last night, then turned in.
He talked to my older son in Iraq for a bit on his laptop, then hit the sack not long after me.

The reasoning of having a stash of our own food is the cafeterias at work will run out of food.
We also have on hand a few hundred of those cement block barricades like you see along the highway that can be moved.

Guess who gets to move those into place if we ever have to bunker/hunker down there

I carry a special chain and hook setup to go over my forks and I carry the big blocks that way.

Nahhh, the boss would not want me to stay more than eight hours.
I am pretty much 8 hours a day, Monday through Friday.

He will ask to see it though, he parks next to me when he gets the chance.
He drives a Lexus 300 car, but they also have a 4th gen 4Runner.
He will probably be wondering if it would fit his rig.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Corey, you have been a busy man! The tent is fantastic. Congrats! With as much as hotels are going for these days, you can make some of your money back in pretty good time (same with the fridge too - eat more healthy food, less restaurant food).

I dig it!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Chris.
I hope to get some good use out of it.

Going to do a week or so vacation come August, but have not decided where I will go yet.

It is kind of nice being self contained.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Thanks Paul.

I may have to look into the air dam thing too.

We also have on hand a few hundred of those cement block barricades like you see along the highway that can be moved.

Guess who gets to move those into place if we ever have to bunker/hunker down there

I carry a special chain and hook setup to go over my forks and I carry the big blocks that way.

Nahhh, the boss would not want me to stay more than eight hours.
I am pretty much 8 hours a day, Monday through Friday.

He will ask to see it though, he parks next to me when he gets the chance.
He drives a Lexus 300 car, but they also have a 4th gen 4Runner.
He will probably be wondering if it would fit his rig.
Gotta love those K-rail/Jersey Barriers...

8hr days M-F what a concept...

At least you have a known suspect if you come out one night and find it missing LOL
Old 03-23-2008, 11:49 AM

Tent looks awesome.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by wormhole
Tent looks awesome.
Thanks.

I just filled up on my way into work, and I thought the gas consumption was going to suck, but it did not.

Here are the last five entries in my gas log I keep.
2/29/2008 13370.0 233.0 13.587 $3.459 $47.00 17.1487 Premium Safeway

3/7/2008 13537.0 167.0 9.717 $3.499 $34.00 17.1864 Premium Safeway

3/14/2008 13704.0 167.0 9.803 $3.519 $34.50 17.0356 Premium Safeway Wowwwwww, 167 miles exactly, same as last fill up.

3/21/2008 13866.0 162.0 9.716 $3.499 $34.00 16.6735 Premium Safeway

3/28/2008 14046.0 180.0 10.717 $3.499 $37.50 16.7957 Premium Safeway Up actually from last week before the tent was put on.
The last numbers before the word "Premium" is the MPG.
Not as easy to read in forum format as it is in the spread sheet.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

I guess I'll ask since someone is going to anyways lol
what do the numbers rep.?
1st is total odo
2nd is trip odo
3rd is quantity to fill up
4th is $/gal.
5th is $ for fill up
6th is avg. mpg
is this right?

Last edited by aviator; 03-28-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM

3rd is how many gallons it took to fill up
Old 03-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Spence1016
3rd is how many gallons it took to fill up
Thanks I realisedthat just after I posted... D'OH! LOL
Old 03-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah, I just copied the descriptions from the spread sheet.
Date - Odometer - Trip Meter - # of Gallons - $/Gallon - $ for Fillup - MPG - Fuel Type - Fuel Brand
A forum member made the file for me, if anyone wants it, I can put it up here.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corey, that's the slickest camping arrangement I've ever seen. Thanks (again) for being an early adopter and giving us your credible opinion, good or bad, about your mods.

I'm very surprised at the fuel economy. I thought the increased frontal area would hurt, but maybe little affects our FJ's already high Cd.

Have you noticed any roof deformation when the tent is full? How about after a hot date in the forest? J/K, but I guess the load is spread out enough.

I've reconsidered after realizing it would be difficult carrying the dog up and down the steps. I'm back looking at a small travel trailer.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Bob, you are welcome, and thank you for the kind words.

No roof deformation at all.
The weight is really spread out good with four crossbars.
I felt perfectly safe up there when putting on the bedding, and I purposely moved around a lot to try and shake it, and it was solid as a rock.
I am impressed with it.

The maker of these has been in the business since the 50s, they know their stuff, and I believe they are the only company making these.

I have been stocking up on camping supplies as seen in this thread.

Stocking up on propane bottles too.
I intend on getting lots of use out of this tent, and I am taking a one week or more trip with it this summer.

Getting your dog up there would not be to hard, as you can climb and hold him, and shove him through the door.
Now getting him down would be tricky, maybe a safety harness
I am sure it could be done.

Another thing you might consider is an off road trailer, something I will pick up when I get a garage.
Here is what I will end up doing with my tent, it will go on top of the trailers roof and tilt back via gas struts revealing a place to cram lots of gear, and fuel cans.
http://www.autohomeus.com/gallery/trailer.php

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/trailers.html

It is called the Chaser model.
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/chaser.html
You can see the other tent style on the lid of the trailer.

Bob, if you went that route, it would be totally sick.
That is my future mod, but I need to move first before I can store a trailer.

But back to the tent, I think you would dig it.
There is a sense of coolness being up off the ground.
Here are some advantages too in a post I put up in another roof top tent thread yesterday.
https://www.yotatech.com/50795651-post7.html

PS, that Chaser trailer is the same unit as seen on our homepage for the raffle.
https://www.yotatech.com/index.php
Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

OK, now this is strange.
3/21/2008 13866.0 162.0 9.716 $3.499 $34.00 16.6735 Premium Safeway

3/28/2008 14046.0 180.0 10.717 $3.499 $37.50 16.7957 Premium Safeway Up actually from last week before the tent was put on.
That was from a few weeks back, and below is the past two fillups.

Last Friday it dipped down into the 15s (15.5826), I suspect that was due to some 25 to 35 miles per hour crosswinds on the freeway going home from work yesterweek.

Todays fill-up before work yielded almost 17.5 MPG, not shabby at all. 17.3156 to be exact.

4/4/2008 14201.0 155.0 9.947 $3.569 $35.50 15.5826 Premium Safeway Ooops, this time it went down from the RTT.
4/11/2008 14362.0 161.0 9.298 $3.549 $33.00 17.3156 Premium Safeway Now it has gone up. I think a lot has to do with cross winds on the freeway.

Looking back through my MPG logs, I am actually getting about 1+ MPG better with the roof top tent on as long as I do not encounter any high winds blowing against me.

All I can think of is the tent acts like a spoiler of some sort, but the numbers do not lie.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

It may be that the tent is actually reducing the overall drag coefficeint by covering up the roof rack, all those cross members and side pipes really add a lot of drag. I know from when I put my roof rack on my truck and now that it was decapitated I'm doing much better MPG wise.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Could be Paul.
I do have a big gap though underneath the tent.
I wish it sat lower.

There is a way, I saw an FJ Cruiser owner where he took off the factory rack and fabbed up plates to fit into the stock rack holes in the roof, and just used Yakima crossbars.

If I did that, the tent would sit about 10" lower.
I may look into that since the rack is pretty much useless right now with the tent on it.

Now I wonder if this Tacomas MPG goes up with the tent on it, in the down position of course

Quick Reply: Corey's 2007 FJ Cruiser Build-Up Thread