Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Snowshredder's 1997 4Runner Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jason in tn
updates?????
None...other than the clutch which was exactly one week ago tonight. The clutch is working as it should and I'm still going through the break in period.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 PM

Was finally able to install my trail find flowmaster muffler. It sounds wicked now...needless to say, I like it! Install went ok, but I've put better welds down when I was first learning to weld...but it works.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:46 AM

nice! Instant horsepower....
Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Earth to snowshreader, hope your ok.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:30 AM

Earth to snowshreader, hope your ok.
Hey Jason... Just been busy with school, work and family...Oh yeah, and I've been researching the crap out of building an AR-15. Started my build already and am nearing the end. Thank goodness I live in Arizona where the gun control laws aren't nearly as restrictive as Cali. Seems after buying your first gun you want another...and another...and another.

Anyhow, nothing new to the 4Runner, but I'm probably gonna be adding another Yota to the stable. Looking to get another 4cyl. Taco. Have to sell the F150 to pay a BIG debt and then what ever's left over, buy another little truck cause every man needs at least one truck in his stable.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:16 AM

I understand the gun thing I have many myself, an AR is on my short list of things I want to by just haven't pulled the trigger no pun intended lol.
Good luck with the new Yota purchase. Glad to hear all is ok.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sweeeeeeet on the Flowmaster install! lol... I remember you finding that.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM

I understand the gun thing I have many myself, an AR is on my short list of things I want to by just haven't pulled the trigger no pun intended lol.
Good luck with the new Yota purchase. Glad to hear all is ok.
Well, if the elections put Obama back in the "White" house I have a feeling the parts and or whole guns are gonna sky rocket in price. Since I'm almost done with this build, I've been researching the AK47 and it's variants. Since the complete assault weapons import ban went into the works, they have as well as others of good quality, been harder to find inexpensively. So I'm thinking I may just build another AR but with a gas piston system in the 7.62x39. Something about that round for me...can't explain it. Oh, and my wife thinks I'm waisting money on these guns. I personally feel they're a sound investment. I've never seen a gun go down in price and gold is approaching the table for me as well.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 PM

Well, I thought I'd post somethings up that've been going on and why the build thread has been a little slow. First: The finished AR-15

Taking it to the range to tomorrow to get the holographic sight dialed in.

And a project that a fellow member (MikeS) here asked for some help with. The idea and design as a whole were his but I think the execution of knowing what to bend and where to, were totally on me. I'll let Mike chime in if he'd like to.

I do like how it turned out and we did discuss putting a couple of finishing touches on it. But if I'm asked too, I won't hesitate. The two days it took to build were a pleasure working with Mike as he put up with my smart a$$ attitude with grace..Thanks again Mike

Okay..now on to what I have planned or something similar. About 10 months ago, we had another member ask us to build him a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. The tire carrier I'm cool with, I just want a more traditional design than what we did for him. And besides, I don't have any pics of the finished product...just the basis for how I'd like to fabricate mine with my own twist. The side protection and supports along with how the rear comes away from the tailgate is what I'm after. In building this rear bumper, I did get some nods as far as my own ideas but the total of it came from the owners mind. So kudos go to him on putting tube to bender and making it look right. Oh, and the frame mounts are 1/2" not 3/8" like some other companies produce...a little extra weight for superior strength is a plus in my opinion.
Here we go:
Old 06-11-2012, 11:07 PM

Wow, GUNS AND FAB-ART! Sexy post, man! haha... Very nice work.... Love to see more pics of that bumper in the light, maybe?
Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 PM

Thanks Chef...my wife thinks my other hobby (aside from welding which I get paid to do now) is a waste of money...referring to the gun (s). Any more pics of the bumper would have to come from AngryBob as it's his baby now. Maybe you could PM him if you wanted to. His name really isn't indicative of his demeanor...actually a really friendly guy. I think he appreciated the work I did to his sliders that the previous owner botched really bad...who knows what that guy was thinking. But thanks again for the kudos...MIKEY likes it too!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Havasu is a lil far(might be there this weekend to see pops)... Otherwise, I might BEG you to weld on my sliders! hahahaha.

Best wishes, man.... Stay safe out there. I KNOW it's a hot one this year, eh?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 AM

Actually I'll be headin your direction this weekend...my nephew is graduating and I get to see my oldest daughter and take her to Disneyland... My wife has an aunt that lives in Havasu. Just went to see her a few weeks ago when they had the Harley Run come through. There was a speed boat race that weekend to if I recall correctly. Listen Chef..anyone around here who needs something taken care of like that, I'm happy to help. If you come to the area for a visit, hit me up and I'll be glad to handle that for you. Finally had the garage wired for my dedicated 220v and have only used it a handful of times in the last few months. So it definitely needs more use as I do most of my welding at work....my Lincolns' definitely gettin lonely here at the house.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:20 PM

The fab work looks great man, I really like the roof basket. Really wishing I could start my next gun project but its a ways off.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:22 PM

Wow, I'm heading East, you're coming West! lol... Well, the NEXT time I head to Havasu,..... I WILL SERIOUSLY contemplate hitting Scottsdale and gratefully watching you work! lol.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Okay, not really an update to my build but something that may help a bit more with it.

The company I work for is finally getting into a real shop..you know, the kind with roll up bay doors an office maybe a lunch room...oh yeah!..and the most important part: A functioning bathroom! Woohoo! This is the week it all seems to be happening as we started moving a few of the trucks and trailers over. It's not a brand new facility and in fact it seems a little dilapidated...but hey! I'm not gonna complain...it's only about a mile and a half from my house...I could ride my bike there if the 4Runner needs to be layed up for any upgrades. I'll post pics as time and my computer permits..it's been on the fritz lately and only works when it wants too.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:16 PM

Great news, man! Congratz!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:11 PM

Been working on a project for the last couple of weeks at work while time has permitted, so this isn't exactly an update to the 4Runner. It's taken a back seat for a while and been performing duty as my DD for work and school. We're expecting another member to the family and there's a never ending list of thing's needing to be done for her arrival and time for MY projects seems to be in short supply.

So... my father in law had an Oxy/ Acetylene welding table/ cart and when he passed, I asked if I could have it. It's a bit sentimental to wife and she asked me not to completely destroy it so I went after it with all the precision a sawzall and plasma cutter would allow.

Okay, all that for this; I'm putting together a welding cart and a TIG- O/A portable welding table. The welding cart is for my 110v MIG for home and outside welding projects. Figure a 110v would be easier to throw in the back of the 4Runner than my 220v, but it turns out they're both almost equally heavy. I drew the insparation for the cart from this company but decided to give it the "AVID" twist. However, the further I get into this, I think my suspension design is gonna be a bit more elaborate than the one the link takes you to.

I started out trying to use straight tube with out putting any bends in em' but realized they wouldn't operate on the same plane.

Here's a pic. of what the original idea of using straight tubes looked like...

Apparently the weren't going to work...so I'm trying a different approach and hopefully it'll work better.

And some more to show where I'm at. The hardest part of this whole project is cleaning off the galvanization on the steel. It makes for a nasty headache and doesn't exactly produce the best welds either...

This is just the base for the whole project and the spot for the welder to sit on is done, I just don't have any pics of it yet...don't know why though.

And the next few pictures are where I was able to get today. As you can see I went with the bend on the rear portion of the suspension arms. And in the back ground, you can see my new TIG machine just waiting for it's new home on the portable table/ cart.

A top view of the arms..

If there's a better solution for the suspension setup please let me know. Also, I've been thinking of using engine valve springs as the springs for the suspension...but I haven't been able to find a full set. I have the round rod to make my own but was hoping I'd be able to score a set before that time hit's. But who know's...it might be better for me to say I built it all my-self...sans the tire wheel combination from HarborFreight..had a deal I just couldn't pass up. For the rear, I was thinking of doing a 4-link...you know, to keep in YOTAfied...but I'll have to see how that looks when I get to that stage..

Last edited by snowshredder555; 11-22-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 PM

Got a little more done to the welding cart...

Was able to get some hardware and work on the rest of the steering set up. Mostly mocked up with final welding for the front end needing to take place. Here's a couple of pic's.. Sorry they're not so great...the phone wasn't doing so well tonight..

The steerign knuckle threw me for a loop...I had one of those moments where a second set of eye's went a long way...So thanks Boss for handeling that one.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Wow, very cool! I really wish I had some welding skills... Should have kept up with it after Highschool! haha...

Cool story on the keeping her pop's stuff alive in a way Please tell her I'm sorry for her loss.

Quick Reply: Snowshredder's 1997 4Runner Build-up