Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
No probs. Glad my husband didn't take my 96 over, but the 99's his and he's not lettin' me have any of the goodies off it like I was planning. Pfui!

Don't worry, a little experience here and there and she'll realize the 4Runner isn't as wimpy as those parts look. Well, then again, maybe worry cause then you'll have to draw straws on who drives.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
No probs. Glad my husband didn't take my 96 over, but the 99's his and he's not lettin' me have any of the goodies off it like I was planning. Pfui!

Don't worry, a little experience here and there and she'll realize the 4Runner isn't as wimpy as those parts look. Well, then again, maybe worry cause then you'll have to draw straws on who drives.

for as much as I like this one if I can ever get my 86 back up and running Id let her drive this one all she wants or as it seems doesnt want to LOL.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:46 PM

been working on both runners alot the past couple days, did some more trimming and things on this one, also went over and retightend everything from the lift. trimed the rear mudflaps down, installed my 1rst gen rollbar and installed my christmas gift from my wife

skidrow off road front skid plate I will get some more pics up tomorow the wife ran off with the camera today.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Right on, tell your sweet wife I said HEY! lol. MERRY CHRISTMAS, JASON AND REGINA(AND FAM!) LOL.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Right on, tell your sweet wife I said HEY! lol. MERRY CHRISTMAS, JASON AND REGINA(AND FAM!) LOL.

thanks mark I passed along the hey.

just a couple more pics of the work I got done

the mud flaps trimed down, I tryed to keep the flares on the bumper but slim them down some, hopeing to get started on a new bumper soon and then they wont be an issue.

1rst gen rollbar installed. anybody thats wanting to do this, its a pain to get in but I used a couple ratchet straps to pull the legs together and it worked a lot better.

and the skid row skid plate installed.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like santa was good to you. Between the 2 trucks you got alot done. I subscribed to this build. Thought I had subscribed before. Must be that Old Firt Thing kicking in.lol.

That 1st gen roll bar looks like it belongs in there.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 AM

Wow, that roller looks good, as do the MEATS! Nice, homie!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 AM

Thanks guys, hasnt been any huge steps but Im really happy with how its turning out. I know theres mixed feeling among others about installing the first gen rollbar, but I really like how it looks, and will make a good mounting point for things like a HI LIFT down the road. Thanks for checking in.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:26 PM

got to do some wheeling this weekend and created some work for myself, the worst of it I think/hope is a broken drivers side cv shaft I know for sure the boot is bad but its also clunking and poping in the right front. I will be digging into it tomorow.
the rest of the issues are cosmetic but my bumper build just got moved up the list of prioritys.

hope everyone had a great new years weekend.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Oops! Great New Year to you too! That's what I've got to do to mine to justify something nicer on either end. We camped, biked and did some very mild exploratory wheeling- pinstripe city!

CV shafts. Ugh. At least they're pretty easy. Why is it right after you stick the skid on something makes you take it right back off again???
Old 01-01-2012, 05:42 PM

CV shafts. Ugh. At least they're pretty easy. Why is it right after you stick the skid on something makes you take it right back off again???

LOL thats the first thing my son said when I told him I thought it was a shaft broke "I suppose that friggen skid plate has to come back off"
Old 01-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
LOL thats the first thing my son said when I told him I thought it was a shaft broke "I suppose that friggen skid plate has to come back off"
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM

Looking good man and sucks bout the broken stuff but hey atleast you was haven fun lol
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 AM

Just realized it says, "The Family Truckster", lol. Great so far, can't wait til you get it set up like Scotty's 3rd gen from Addicted....... HAHAHAHa, JUST KIDDING.... I know you're not going for that crazy a set up, ...and the thing is looking GREAT! Sorry bout the joint.... My joints are aching as well, ... oh well, sucks getting older! hahaha.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Just realized it says, "The Family Truckster", lol. Great so far, can't wait til you get it set up like Scotty's 3rd gen from Addicted....... HAHAHAHa, JUST KIDDING.... I know you're not going for that crazy a set up, ...and the thing is looking GREAT! Sorry bout the joint.... My joints are aching as well, ... oh well, sucks getting older! hahaha.

hey mark thanks for checking in man, if I had scottys mad fab skills I sure wouldnt be drivein a truck his rig is beyond awsome.
wasnt even a able to start on changeing the shaft today had to many things already on the schedule hopefully tomorow.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Hey Buddy...thought I'd hit your's, seeing how you've been on mine. Ummm?...? Yeah, that didn't sound right...I think you get the idea.

Well, now I get to see what you come up with for the rear. And, at least you'll be getting a new bumper out of the carnage. I see that as a plus. Justifiable to the wife and all...you know?

"AH POOP!"
This is how my conversation would go with the wife:

Hey honey!.?! AAHHH...ummm I need a new bumper now... Jr. wanted to see if we could make it up that hill we saw last time we were out...you know...the one you didn't want me to try with you in the vehicle. Well, we made it up! But the back side...well...

-Ted
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ouch!! Its part of having fun. Dont really think the damage is to bad. Just gives you a reason to get the tools out and in the garage.

But still dont envy you having to have a talk with the wife after incidents like that. Been there myself.lol...
Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Hey ted thanks for checking in.
Hey terry.
Thanks for the support guys. The wife was actually pretty cool about it, we have been together 16 years so shes used to me breaking things lol still worrie about that one thing that will push her over the edge.
Anyway working out a plan for the new bumped, it will be a plate bumper as Im not a fan of tube bumpers. I wanted a swing out tire carrier but Im not sure about that after doing some research I guess these 3rd gen frames wont handle the weight with out being beefed up some and Im no enginer, I want somthing that kinda mimics the stock one just stronger.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
A lot of people reinforce the frame when they do swing outs on bumpers for 3rd gens. I read a lot on it and there is a ton of info here if you search around for it. I was going to go that way until I decided on a tube bumper.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by JBurt
A lot of people reinforce the frame when they do swing outs on bumpers for 3rd gens. I read a lot on it and there is a ton of info here if you search around for it. I was going to go that way until I decided on a tube bumper.
Ive been doing a lot a reading up and there is a ton of good info out there and rite here on YT, I just dont trust my skills lol. Ive seen some tube bumpers I like but they lack of a bender makes it rough.

Quick Reply: jason in tn's 1997 4Runner Build-Up Thread - "the family truckster"