Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

4ever4running's 2002 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tehaids
Looks very nice now. Personally im not a fan of the textured black hood, but it does look nice with a scoop. I do however think you may need a 1" body lift to enhance the stance and give those 33's bit of flexing room in the wheel wells.
Thanks! I was a little tentative about using the Durabak on the hood and rocker panels but after I saw how it came out I LOVE it and couldn't be happier with it! Not only does it help protect the hood and rocker panels, it looks really cool and makes my truck stand out from the rest. I can't tell you how many complements I have gotten from total strangers.

I completely agree with you on the 1" body lift. Even after a decent amount of trimming and grinding, they still rub a little when I am flexed out so I think a 1" body lift would be just enough to give me the little extra clearance I need and, like you said, make the stance just a little bit better.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you like the MT/R Kevlars?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bighead
How do you like the MT/R Kevlars?
The MTR's are AWESOME! They are by far the best tire I have ever had on my truck and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for an aggressive all terrain tire. I have taken them off road about 4 times since I have had them and they have taken me places I didn't think I would be able to go. I have taken them in 2 feet of snow, ice, sand, and mud and haven't had any problems at all. They are a little noisy on the highway but that is to be expected with an aggressive tire like that. All in all they are a great tire and I would definitely buy them again.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:02 PM

looks great man. i vote for a 2 inch BL to really make those 33's look good in there. nice job
Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't think the MTR's are an "aggressive all terrain tire." They're deff a mud/ rock offroad tire.

Besides, you have them mounted backwards

Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM

Look again Scuba. One of them is mounted backwards.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kuntryboy
looks great man. i vote for a 2 inch BL to really make those 33's look good in there. nice job
Thanks! I am thinking of going with either a 1" or 1.5" body lift at the most because once you get above that, then there are other part you need to worry about like a steering shaft extension, and bumper relocation brackets and I'm just not sure I want to spend that kind of money...Anyone else have any thoughts on what body lift I should go with?

Originally Posted by scuba
I don't think the MTR's are an "aggressive all terrain tire." They're deff a mud/ rock offroad tire.

Besides, you have them mounted backwards

Yeah good point, they are definitely more aggressive than an A/T tire.

I realized that they were backwards after doing some research to answer a question that another member PM'd about...Do you think it will have any negative effects on tread wear or traction? I am saving up for a spare wheel and tire and I was thinking about having the guys at Goodyear mount them the correct way...I just don't want them to wear prematurely or anything because, as i'm sure you know, they are pretty expensive and I want to get as much out of them as I possibly can.

Last edited by 4ever4running; 02-27-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 PM

okay gotcha. you should go 4crawler 1.5'' thats my vote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dannomite
Look again Scuba. One of them is mounted backwards.
Do you own the kevlars? Well, I do. And I can see that ALL of them are mounted backwards.
Goodyear has an "inboard side" and an "outboard side" that is marked on the sidewall of the tires. They're marked like this so that the bigger voids are towards the outside giving greater traction in that area.

They are all supposed to be mounted like so:

If you look at them, this makes the outter lugs of the tires look like they are going in the opposite direction compared to the other side of the truck:

I have them mounted correctly.

Still want to pipe up about something you don't know about?

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
Yeah good point, they are definitely more aggressive than an A/T tire.

I realized that they were backwards after doing some research to answer a question that another member PM'd about...Do you think it will have any negative effects on tread wear or traction? I am saving up for a spare wheel and tire and I was thinking about having the guys at Goodyear mount them the correct way...I just don't want them to wear prematurely or anything because, as i'm sure you know, they are pretty expensive and I want to get as much out of them as I possibly can.
The only issue I can see is traction. But then again I doubt your pushing them to the true limit where you need the large voids on the outside.
I think you'll be fine concerning wear.
And sorry to clog up your thread with pics of my truck, just educating.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 PM

Do you own the kevlars? Well, I do. And I can see that ALL of them are mounted backwards.
Goodyear has an "inboard side" and an "outboard side" that is marked on the sidewall of the tires. They're marked like this so that the bigger voids are towards the outside giving greater traction in that area.

They are all supposed to be mounted like so:

If you look at them, this makes the outter lugs of the tires look like they are going in the opposite direction compared to the other side of the truck:

I have them mounted correctly.

Still want to pipe up about something you don't know about?

The only issue I can see is traction. But then again I doubt your pushing them to the true limit where you need the large voids on the outside.
I think you'll be fine concerning wear.
And sorry to clog up your thread with pics of my truck, just educating.

Scuba is definitely 100% correct. The tires are supposed to be mounted so the larger tread is to the outside. Mine are ALL mounted backwards because when I had them mounted Goodyear simply asked me if I wanted them mounted white wall out or black wall out. I preferred the black wall out, so that is how they were mounted. I take most of the responsibility for having them mounted incorrectly because I didn't do my homework before I had them mounted...When I save up enough to buy my spare I am going to have the guys at Goodyear mount them the correct way (hopefully they won't charge me, but I guess we will see...)

Yeah I have pushed them hard on 1-2 occasions, but nothing compared to how hard you are pushing yours. I mostly take them on easy/intermediate trails because I'm still getting some experience behind the wheel. There aren't too many rock "fields" here in Texas like the ones you have in your pics so I think they would be okay how I have them now. I still think I am going to have them mounted the correct way just in case there is an issue and Goodyear tries to get out of honoring the Road Hazard Protection Plan (that I paid top dollar for) just because the tires are mounted incorrectly.

Haha its all good man educate away . You have a sweet rig and lets face it, who doesn't like pics, right?

Last edited by 4ever4running; 04-19-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM

So I got sick of the blue vacuum tubes under the hood so I picked up a Spectre braided steel wire sleeve kit and covered the radiator hose and some of the vacuum lines. While I was at the auto parts store I also picked up a can of engine cleaner and engine detailer. I know it won't last very long, but the engine looks nicer than I have ever seen it. I really like the look of the braided steel hoses and I think it came out pretty good.

Last edited by 4ever4running; 04-04-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 PM

Its been a while since I updated but after this post I will finally be caught up and current.

Over the last couple months I have been slowly piecing together a cargo roof rack system. I was able to find most of the parts and components on craigslist but I did have to pay full price for some of the components. Here is a thread that I started that has more detailed information about the build: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/y...thread-230343/

Pics:

I also wanted to install a better mounting system for my Garmin GPS because I was getting sick of having to remove the suction cup mount every time I wanted to put up a sunshade. I wanted to get a ProFit vehicle specific mount because I have seen a couple guys on here that had them and they are pretty sweet. Unfortunately I didn't see the product available on their website and came to find out that they stopped making a vehicle specific mount for 3rd generation 4Runners due to lack of sales interest. So, after some research I was able to find a different mounting system. I went with a ProClip mount which I really like so far because it is not as permanent as the ProFit mount and it can either be moved along the dash bezel or removed all together.

Pics:

Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM

So I finally got fed up with my tires rubbing when I'm at full flex so a couple days ago I ordered a 1.5" body lift from 4Crawler! It will probably be a couple of weeks before I get so I am waiting anxiously. I am planning on installing it myself, with the help of a friend, so is there anything I should know about the install before I dive into it?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Lookin good man. Can't wait to see the difference before and after the BL.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I can tell you that it will surely be noticeable. I put a 2" 4crawler BL on my 86 last weekend and the difference is more than I would have thought.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 PM

Lookin good man. Can't wait to see the difference before and after the BL.

Thanks Scuba! Yeah I will be sure to post some before and after pics so everyone can see the difference.

Random question but have you re-geared since you installed your tires? I have noticed a pretty significant difference when I am cruising at highway speeds and I have also noticed a reasonable drop in gas mileage. I know that part of this is due to the fact that I am running oversized tires with factory gears. I also know that re-gearing won't completely fix everything but I am just wandering what your thoughts on the subject are...

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
I can tell you that it will surely be noticeable. I put a 2" 4crawler BL on my 86 last weekend and the difference is more than I would have thought.
Yeah that is very true but I really just need a little extra clearance for the tires and I think that 1.5" will be perfect. I am hoping that it is at least a little bit noticeable, but I guess we will see...

On another note, would you still be willing to help me replace my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, etc.? I know we talked about it a while ago, but I completely forgot about it until I changed my oil last weekend and looked at my mileage...I will probably have to wait until I get my tax refund to buy the kit with everything I need but I would still really appreciate your help if you are available sometime.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 4ever4running
On another note, would you still be willing to help me replace my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, etc.? I know we talked about it a while ago, but I completely forgot about it until I changed my oil last weekend and looked at my mileage...I will probably have to wait until I get my tax refund to buy the kit with everything I need but I would still really appreciate your help if you are available sometime.
I'm sure I can find some time to help. I do have a couple of other projects going on that I will hopefully be wrapping up in the next couple of weeks and then time should be alittle easier to find.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
I'm sure I can find some time to help. I do have a couple of other projects going on that I will hopefully be wrapping up in the next couple of weeks and then time should be alittle easier to find.
That is just fine. It will probably take me a little while to get my tax refund and get the supplies I need anyway so that works out perfectl for me. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 AM

So I was finally able to get my 1.5" body lift installed this weekend. I must admit that I was a little hesitant to install it myself, but the directions that 4Crawler provided were very clear and easy to follow, so I had no problems whatsoever. It took me the better part of an afternoon (approximately 4 hours) from start to finish.

On Friday I removed the front bumper and took a closer look at it and decided that I wanted to repaint it while I had it off the truck. I have been keeping up with a different build thread and the guy coated his bumper and other trim pieces with Plasti Dip and it came out great so I decided to give it a try.

Bumper removed

Before:

After:

The pictures show that I only got about 1" of lift, but in reality I got the full 1.5" of lift. The missing 0.5" of lift in the pictures is due to the camera angles and inconsistent measuring. More pics of the newly painted bumper to come...
Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 AM

I also found out that one of my LED parking light bulbs went out so I went on Autolumination.com to order some more. While I was on there, I also ordered some new LED's for my dome lights and maps lights because the ones I have in there now just aren't cutting it...

Quick Reply: 4ever4running's 2002 4Runner Build-Up Thread