Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

which winch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which winch?

hey guys. im gonna be getting an arb bumper for my 93 runner soon and am im just wondering what warn winch would fit and pull my lifted rig out of a tight place. thanks
Old 03-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That's an easy one, go with the XD9000.

I was going to get the M8000, but they cut me a great deal on the 9, and I could not pass it up.

You can only use the Warn winches that have the external solenoid pack.
The ones with the internal ones will not fit.

The 9000 will give you a little extra pulling power over the 8 if you need it.
It's a good idea also to sell your cable that comes with it and go with synthetic for safety reasons.

If a steel one breaks, it can become a deadly whip.
1.1 mb video.
http://www.orp.com.au/Mpegs/Winch%20Break.wmv

The above video was also slowed down by it's creator to show the line breaking.
Had it ran at full speed, you would not have seen it perhaps.

If a synth line breaks, it simply falls to the ground.
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te...94wd_stronger/

For some good tech info on winches, see the page YotaTech on the web, and look at the links near the bottom.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/portal/portal.htm

Here are some other things you might want to do to your winch down
the road.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:05 AM

I have a Milemarker E8000 electric winch. They are on sale at 4WheelParts through tomorrow for $449 with a $50 instant rebate. I was planning on getting a Warn M8000 but when I saw the price on the Milemarker, well I figure that with the money I save I could get synthetic winch rope and still spend less. I haven't compared it to a Warn, but I have heard that the Milemarker is somewhat slow in its retreival speed. I got winched out by POPS XJ on the Tonga ridge run by his Milemarker E8000. As much use as I think that I will get out of my winch, I think that it is better to have one than to not have one.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:40 PM

Great info

wow....Great stuff....I've always considered buying a winch for my truck when I get my custom bumber done...But was always thinking about which one to get? I still don't know...lol
But there were some great sites posted with some real good info for us guys that don't really know alot about winching....
Guess I just wanted to say thanks for posting the info!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 05:52 AM

I have an HS9500 in my ARB. I got it brand new shipped to my door for 772 (shipping was like 50 bucks). In my opinion the best winch you can fit in an ARB bumper. All Warns are high quality winches, and would not go with anyone else. On another note, I would definately not go the the milemarker electric at all. It is a POS. But don't take my word for it, do the research. A lot of people end up jumping on it for price reasons and end up regretting it big time...
Old 03-31-2003, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

My brother has had good luck with his Superwinch X9 (9000lb) and that's why I got one. Cost me $400 from the Northern Hydraulics Wholesale store (it was a return, but was never used). It's a lot of winch for the money. He's runs both warn and superwinch and has had fewer problems with the X9.

Another option would be a Milemarker hydraulic winch. I know some folks who swear by them. You can run em all day and they won't overheat. Plus they can be submerged. It runs of the power steering pump. I would have likely gone this route if I hadn't been able to get the such a good deal on the X9.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The main disadvantage with the hydraulic one is the engine has to be running for it to work.

If you are buried in water and can't start your engine for fear of hydrolock, you can use the electric winch to pull you out of a submerged situation.

I have also read on other forums the Toyota power steering pump doesn't put out enough pressure to satisfy a hydraulic winch.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

hydraulic vs electric

i haven't heard the toyota PSP is a problem. that surprises me.

the hydraulic vs electric debate all comes down to personal preference. yes, the engine has to be running for the hydraulic to run, but if you run your electric winch with the engine off you risk draining your battery and then are stuck with a rig you cannot start. of course you can add a second battery to avoid this problem, which is what I hope to do eventually.

plus electrics do tend to overheat under strain. i know a guys who's pulled boulders out of caves for hours on end with his Milemarker hydraulic. I wouldn't try that with an electric.

there are pros and cons to both. i've seen some debates between winch fanatics get pretty heated. some folks take it personally. i think brand loyalty is too often based on effective marketing and not necessarily on performance. just get out there, wheel, and get (un)stuck!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 44Runner
I have an HS9500 in my ARB. I got it brand new shipped to my door for 772 (shipping was like 50 bucks). In my opinion the best winch you can fit in an ARB bumper. All Warns are high quality winches, and would not go with anyone else. On another note, I would definately not go the the milemarker electric at all. It is a POS. But don't take my word for it, do the research. A lot of people end up jumping on it for price reasons and end up regretting it big time...
Tell me more about this. IIRC, the biggest was a 9000, but the 9500 looks to have teh same foot pattern, and only 1 more inch of width. I have never heard of one in an ARB. Sounds like a plan.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
Tell me more about this. IIRC, the biggest was a 9000, but the 9500 looks to have teh same foot pattern, and only 1 more inch of width. I have never heard of one in an ARB. Sounds like a plan.
About 2 years ago, I had just recently put on the Prado Bull Bar on my 3rd Gen 4Runner. I was at the East Coast Fall Colors ride and some dude had the same bumper on a 3rd Gen and had a Warn HS9500 stuffed in there. As soon as I knew one could fit in my bumper no problem, I had to have one.

Obviously the HS9500 has a higher rating than an XD9000 by 500 pounds, and even though there is that extra 500 pounds, fully loaded it pulls faster than the 9000, 6.67 ft./min. (9500 lbs.) vs. 6.38 ft./min (9000 lbs.). Where it truely shines is when the HS (high speed) really comes into play. No load line speed on the HS9500 is 62 ft./min. (hauling ass) where as the XD9000 is 38 ft./min. (not so much). That means less chance of running over your cable and less chance that you come unhooked due to slack in the line. Not to mention it just makes it an all around pleasure to run because you don't have to sit and wait as long for the cable to wind in after pulling from a far off anchor. Basically it boils down to better winching, and less winching time more wheeling. If you got room in the budget, it is a NICE winch. Everyone I have talked to that has one LOVES it. For anyone with an off the self Bull Bar, I think it is hands down the best option as long as it fits...

Now when you say biggest, I assume you mean biggest that can fit in an ARB. Because Warn makes the M12000 and M15000 self recovery winch which, while slow, could huff and puff and pull your house down.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:55 AM

10-4

By biggest, I meant biggest that could fit in an ARB. Those other ones could, I believe the expression is, "pull the stink off of..."

I am interested to hear you like the HS stuff. I have heard it spun both ways, too fast, only worth it if you are a comp rig, or just right, no dilly dallying around. I have only seen/used regular speed Warns.

Anyone out there with a 9000 in an ARB who would like to measure clearance? Warn has all the dimensions on their site. if someone would measure clearnace on either side of the winch, that would be outstanding. I know the bolt pattern would work, just not sure if there is enough width.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:00 PM

The 9500 model won't bolt on w/o cutting/modifying your ARB. I know of only one person that has has done this to their ARB bumper, Jim Brink over at 4x4wire. That said, I've seen the HS9500 in action and it's smoking fast compared to my XD9000.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:00 PM

Anyone out there with a 9000 in an ARB who would like to measure clearance? Warn has all the dimensions on their site. if someone would measure clearnace on either side of the winch, that would be outstanding. I know the bolt pattern would work, just not sure if there is enough width.
Which ARB?

Here is my HS9500 fitting flawlessly in my Prado bar. No worries, no cutting needed. Exact same as throwing in an XD9000. Might not be the same for all bars...

Last edited by 44Runner; 03-31-2003 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

i know a guy with a Taco ARB bar and a HS95000, bolted right in

Old 03-31-2003, 12:09 PM

Sadly, that model winch doesn't bolt right in on the earlier model ARB bullbars.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:18 PM

Thanks gents, I was talking about mine on a 95 runner. Not sure of the exact model number, but it is the one Arnold has, not the one you have 44.

If possible, it would be great to see a pic like the one posted of someone with the older ARB.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I prefer blonds.....

OH! "Which winch?"

hehehe sorry, that was my initial reaction when I read the name of the thread and thought it was funny. Good thread btw.

any babes out there please dont take offense, im only kidding.

Steve
Old 03-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

well, i ordered my winch today. i got the xd9000 . hopefully this will do the trick. to go along with it, i ordered an arb bumper. wahoo, i can not wait till next week....rear bumper, front bumper, and a winch
Old 03-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

He haw, sounds good!
I am sure you will like that setup.

I have some vids of me pulling out a 2nd gen 4Runner from a snow drift last April with my 9000, but my website shut down an hour ago.

Don't know what's up, and I have tickets into the tech guy's to get it resolved.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:15 PM

Still alittle confused...

For someone who's never used a winch before but wants one so he can go exploring more and not have to worry so much about getting really stuck and getting un-stuck....what to use? I did some research and to my findings there are two types of winches. Hydraulic and electric. Hyrdo is better for pulling power but if your under water...Good luck...as opposed to an electric which that has less power but will still work w/o your truck running. So...again...which winch? I suppose you could do it problematic and base your decision off of which environments you trail ride in most. If your basically mudding and trail bombing I suppose either will work. If you venture into the depths of swampy terrain...Go with...electric? maybe? I don't know...I guess some more research and weighing out of variables and process of elimination is at hand....Or maybe I should just stay within my budget? lol.......aaahhhhh!!!!!:pat:

Quick Reply: which winch?