Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

why a 4runner and not a landcruiser

Old 09-09-2003, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why a 4runner and not a landcruiser

Hi people I have a question.what makes the fourby such a popular choice for four wheeling when you have a range of stronger trucks that are made for off-road.every time i take my truck in to be modified i get told not to waste my money and time.the landcrusier comes up all the time and I forget why i don.t own one of thoses instead...can you please remind me why the fourrunner is such a popular choice so i can settle this argument for the last time...
Old 09-09-2003, 03:26 PM

If you are going into a parts shop or service shop and getting told "why would you want to mod that rig" you need to go elsewhere. If that happened to me I would WALK out of that business after making it clear they just lost business. They have a rule that I am sad to say is prolly a thing of the past called "The customer is always right". Nobody follows that rule of thumb these days. I could ask you who you went to but it does not matter. Its who you dealt with that works for who you went to. What I mean is a biz can be top notch but have some retard running the service or parts counter. They are the face of the company in my opinion when I am there to spend my money. If they mistreat me I will walk out and never come back. I am so close to not even shopping within my own town anymore and keeping it online where customer service has been perfect up to date. I say walk man, the 4Runner is a very good rig and if you want to build it then build it somewhere else. If that person that told you get a different rig to build wants that different rig to work on or get parts for then so be it. Thats their opinion and they are not spending your money you are.
Old 09-09-2003, 03:38 PM

but let's not forget this guy is from New Zealand!!! I'm pretty sure that Land Cruisers of all types are much more common there than they are in North America.

This also explains why the 4Runner is quite popular here for modding; they're fairly easy to find and the parts interchange with mini-trucks which makes them cheap/easy to repair.

The Land Cruiser is without a doubt a stronger vehicle for off-roading but the 4Runner is a very well built truck too and you can wheel the crap out of it and it'll keep ticking.

Regards,

Warren
Old 09-09-2003, 03:41 PM

everyone has an different idea as to what makes it a great rig...the fourrunner not the cruiser,I just want to here from evryone what theres is.....and yes told the workshop to get bent...
Old 09-09-2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by zebug
everyone has an different idea as to what makes it a great rig...the fourrunner not the cruiser,I just want to here from evryone what theres is.....and yes told the workshop to get bent...
ok. My point was that we don't have a "range of stronger trucks" 'made for 4 wheeling' here. I can't say Jeeps are stronger than Toyotas and they'd be the most popular choice I think.

My vehicle of choice would be a diesel 'cruiser I think, maybe a BJ70; however I love my 4Runner for the removeable top, the small size for tight trails, the reliability, and the stock capability.

Later,

Warren
Old 09-09-2003, 03:53 PM

your dead on the mark Warren.but the surf is the most comman being a jap inport the 4runner is New Zealand made which is a more expensive truck.they are classed as a statian wagon.i have had mine for 4 years and spent nothing on it but tires.and mods which i have found on this web.I have given the adress to this site to many enthusists that have seen my ride.the cruiser is more of a bush basher used in comps and trials.......parts should be easy to get but mods aren't u can pisk a 98 4runner up for about 16 grand with low k's........sorry off the topic slightly.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:12 PM

LOL I got all dramatic on you guys about 4Runners huh. I wasnt bashing any other rigs out there. I am all about rigs of all types. I just get very touchy when I get someone behind a counter saying why do this or that and why do it to that 4Runner. Its annoying! I love my 4Runner and I cant trust going back to a guy that makes a why/what comment. That guy is not going to go to bat for me after insulting myself or my rig. He will not rush parts,get the correct parts, or hook me up with deals. I want the ultimate parts guy that WILL say nice rig lets get you some parts. I now understand where your coming from Z. But think of it this way. Over there maybe everyones got a LC. Go out on a limb with a sure thing like the 4Runner and be original. I was interested in going with the 90s Nissan Pathfinder but knowing that lifts were scarce I went with the 4Runner and parts are everywhere. Im happy I hope you will be to.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

One main reason here in the States:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Who wants to pay through the nose to have a rig that they'll forever be afraid of scratching.

My two Lincolns ($.02)

Doug M.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:18 PM

i want to get a 1st gen 4r coz they are sweet! one with a straight axle where i can just mod it and beat it! theyre small enuf to get into tight places and wut not, but tough as heck.

on the other hand.. i LOVE the fj40s . those are bulletproof! strong frame construction!... those will go anywhere! but they "seem" to be a little bigger, or clunkier.... do u kno what i mean? i dont know how much bigger they are than the 4r, but they just seem that way... but i so want an fj40!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:32 PM

I am not affraid of scratches, they come right out with a little wax & elbow grease. The things we Americans have to worry about are road ragers,drunk drivers,car jackers & Sadaams WMDs that some day could ruin our paint jobs.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Blue, here are some easy solutions for our worries.

Road Ragers = Smith & Wesson 45 cal.

Drunk Drivers = H2 for your protection

Car Jackers = Ford Exploder (nice one being sold on the corner)

Saddams WMD = just ask Corey, "Griots Garage"

Cheers and Happy Cruisin'

Doug M.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:50 PM

Old 09-09-2003, 06:31 PM

I had a holiday in hawaii sum years ago and was amazed at the share size of the chevs.I spend all my time looking at them and takeing photos.we can't get 44 inch tires let alone price of them.we have alot of hiluxs or tacoms infact sore my first american tacom in town left hand drive mind you but still a stunning truck.the arguement always steims from shackle or coil,like i can tell the difference?i luv the mass of a truck,we have bronco's,fords, and jimmys but there too big for the roads let alone parking spaces.anyway the runner is a great all rounder,just wish i had more info into what u guys do to yours and the price differnces.and why out of all the veichels on offer you would pick a toyota.?????????
Old 09-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

If I were to start right now.. I would build an 80.. They are stronger and I am pretty sick of the IFS crap.. The 4Runner is smaller which has some very good points.. You can get a 8 series for about 6-8k now and built a sweet truck.. The 4Runner is a decent truck, but I still think it is only abou 1/2 way to a serious 4x4.. Too much to change IMHO..
Old 09-09-2003, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But Lee, they sell kits to make it the other half way to a wheeler

For reliability off-road and general abuse taking, I would use a cruiser myself. Big, strong, powerful, built like a tank.

I like my runner, it is a good wheeling rig for me and one passenger. It daily drives well, but it is made only for moderate abuse.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, but if I was to do it.. figure the cash to do the SAS, rear leaf conversion. re-gear to 5.29's add some 34's lock it front & rear... I would be dumping in way too much cash into her for my liking..

I may (just may) do a 3" ifs lift if I can get one for about $300 total.. But we will see.. If I go that way, I will be keeping the 32's so I don't have to re-gear... I just can't re-gear and not lock her up!!
Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

I have one of each and the Land Cruiser is the winner by far. My 4Runner is a real nice built up truck, but I wish it were the LC that was that built up.

There are a million little things that they did better on the LC.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:55 PM

i have owned an fj40 a 1970.i paid 2 grand for it with front discs and a 2f motor 34 inch tyre extrators.blah blah blah,but it was too hard to warrent so i sold it for 900.2 me it was as small but no comforts and i was a bit big for it so the rollcage was pointless.

but still want to get another one.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:49 AM

i would also agree with some of the other people on this post that the land cruiser is probably built a better but i love my 4 runner and after just a few mod's my rig is very capable for what it is and it works great for me! and it was more within my price range too
Old 09-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Steve,

What would you list as some of the main advantages of the 'Cruiser?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why a 4runner and not a landcruiser