Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Where to run cb antenna wire when mounted on r/rack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to run cb antenna wire when mounted on r/rack?

Question for you guys that have the NGP cb antennas on your roof racks, where do you run the anenna wire to get into the cab? Does it hang down the side and just go between the weatherstripping on one of the back doors?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-27-2004, 05:20 AM

Some of the roof racks have indentures in them with yellow caps in place ... pop one out, run the wire in there, if possible.

Other than that, I'm guessing you'd have to run it in a door somewhere's.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:43 AM

I run mine in by the tailgate. Easiest way to go as you don't have to worry about leaks. Check out my website for more info. Take a look at the writeup I have on wiring up roof-mounted aux lights. I did the same thing with my CB cable I did with the wires for my lights.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:50 AM

Thanks, that helps a bunch!
Old 03-27-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I run mine in by the tailgate. Easiest way to go as you don't have to worry about leaks. Check out my website for more info. Take a look at the writeup I have on wiring up roof-mounted aux lights. I did the same thing with my CB cable I did with the wires for my lights.
Jacksonpt, why don't you mount the Surco rack directly to the factory rails with the Surco mounting kit (part# SR-CH100) dropping it down ~6" since you already have the additional bars mounted to the rack? This will decrease wind noise, increase mileage, and lower your center of gravity. Plus, you'll be able to sell the Thule mounts and original bars to fund some other mods.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Birdman
Jacksonpt, why don't you mount the Surco rack directly to the factory rails with the Surco mounting kit (part# SR-CH100) dropping it down ~6" since you already have the additional bars mounted to the rack? This will decrease wind noise, increase mileage, and lower your center of gravity. Plus, you'll be able to sell the Thule mounts and original bars to fund some other mods.
First off... I wouldn't do that because I need/use the additional strength the thule bars give over the factory bars. Second, I did do that because I don't have the factory rails. My rig didn't come with a roof rack.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:37 AM

I ran the antenna coax back and into the tailgate, into the gap by the taillight, through the taillight grommet, into the interior, under the rear interior panel, under the carpet. It is alot easior if you remove the connector and remount it when it gets where you want it (requires some soldering).
Old 03-28-2004, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

I ran mine out my tail light. No holes and no messy wires to look at. Not to mention you won't ruine your rubber seal on the back door. I did a writeup HERE . Good luck!

Edit:
Oh and if you run small wire you can get really creative like I did for my Serius antenna and go in through the hole for the 3rd brake light. I haven't done a writeup for that though.

Last edited by turboale; 03-28-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:22 AM

I don't like running CB ant wires through weatherstripping like some have said. Here are a couple more options that I have done or seen. Not knowing what year you have, at least one of these won't work.
Run the wire from the roof rack into the top, back corner of the rear doors. It will fit behind the weather stripping that runs the length of both doors. It will end up under the hood where you can bring it through the firewall. works on 2nd and 3rd gens.
Drill a hole in the third brake light cap on the 2nd gens and route the wire down behind trim to the floor of the rear cargo area. From here take it under carpet/trim to the front.
My wife had a 98 that I had the CB ant wired in a way I've haven't seen anybody do. Open the rear hatch and look on the top. There is a rubber boot where the rear washer spray tube runs. Just opposite from the center is another spot where a second washer boot can be mounted. I drilled a hole and ran the CB ant through a washer boot I had gotten from a junkyard. Then down to the floor of the rear hatch area and forward.