Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Where is my anti-freeze going???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is my anti-freeze going???

After checking the antifreeze the other day and seeing it low (1.5 gal. added), I assumed the PO had messed up. I also changed the oil (filter was on finger tight) and checked the spark plugs(they seemed loose as well). Everything looked o.k., but I am still smelling antifreeze up front. I can't find/see any leaks. No drops on the ground. Re-checked the Antifreeze level, and it looked low. Could the water pump be going bad? Is there anything else that is prone to antifreeze leaks on the 3.4?? I smell it mostly around the engine and in the cab, going down the road. I can't smell it in the exhaust (thankfully). Where O where is my antifreeze gone...
Old 10-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

I kind of have the same problem. whenever im on the throttle, i smell this burning odor. Im not sure if its oil or antifreeze. Id say get under the rig and look for a leak, theres bound to be one somewhere. I have a heater hose? that is leaking some antifreeze.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Banned

head gasket failure.....
Old 10-03-2005, 05:33 AM

Check your floorboard and see if it is wet. Could be a heater core. Check the freeze plugs. Check overflow tube/container for leaks.If it is not in your oil then it is probably not your headgasket. Headgaskets sometimes (rarely) leak to the block side instead of the piston side... Put something down when you park for the night and check it carefully in the morning before you have major engine damage or a stranded situation. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:40 AM

Check the clamps on your lower rad hose, I have one come lose and start to leak awhile back.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by GreeneHoosier
Check your floorboard and see if it is wet. Could be a heater core. Check the freeze plugs. Check overflow tube/container for leaks.If it is not in your oil then it is probably not your headgasket. Headgaskets sometimes (rarely) leak to the block side instead of the piston side... Put something down when you park for the night and check it carefully in the morning before you have major engine damage or a stranded situation. Good luck.
The floor boards are dry and no smell in the cab with the windows up. Will check the overflow bottle/hose. No fluid in the oil or on the plugs, so I don't think it is the head gasket. You can smell it around the engine, so it is leaking somewhere in the engine compartment. Nothing on the floor at night, I park over cardboard to keep the floors kinda clean. Where ever it is coming from, it is small and on/near something hot to generate the smell.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My anti-freeze seemed to be disappearing without leaking, dripping, etc. I kept refilling it, but there was never any spots or puddles under my junk.

I bought a new radiator cap and everything is back to normal.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by BeaterToyota
My anti-freeze seemed to be disappearing without leaking, dripping, etc. I kept refilling it, but there was never any spots or puddles under my junk.

I bought a new radiator cap and everything is back to normal.
I can try that approach, as I washed the engine compartment yesterday and last night I checked around the engine for any signs of a leak. I also added the Bars Stop Leak and conditioner to the radiator just in case. I am goignt o watch it more closely for now on and see what happens. I will rpelace the cap as well. Did you have to buy it from Toyota?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by cracker_1
I will rpelace the cap as well. Did you have to buy it from Toyota?
Nope. Just a cheap one from a parts store. They're like $5.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:00 AM

Well, after adding the Bars stop leak/conditioner, the smell has gone away. So, something, somewhere was leaking... I will still continue to look for the leak, rather fix it than patch it w/ Bars.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:48 PM

I also had disappearing fluid and smell that would come into the cab when my windows were down but no signs of leakage on my driveway. I had a leak from the hoses leading into the heater core, driver side near the firewall. I replaced the clamps 2 weeks ago and it seems to have done the trick.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:04 PM

could be the water pump.....mine was leaking
Old 10-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

I'd suspect the casting plugs, probably the ones at the back of the engine, burried under the bell housing. I had a similar leak a while back. People will tell you that the Stop Leak does more harm than good, but it worked (and continues to work) for me with no plugging or other fouling. I'll replace all of them when I do the clutch.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

my coolant is leaking right out of the top of the radiator somewhere...all i know is that when i refill it...i have a nice little puddle in the channel on the top of the rad...
Old 10-12-2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by brandontrek
my coolant is leaking right out of the top of the radiator somewhere...all i know is that when i refill it...i have a nice little puddle in the channel on the top of the rad...
The 2nd gen 4runner is notorious for leaking rads in this location. The antifreeze ends up etching through the top of the rad.

I have gone through a rad this way, then the secons the soder wasn't that good.

Matt
Old 01-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blair
I'd suspect the casting plugs, probably the ones at the back of the engine, burried under the bell housing. I had a similar leak a while back. People will tell you that the Stop Leak does more harm than good, but it worked (and continues to work) for me with no plugging or other fouling. I'll replace all of them when I do the clutch.
uh oh...i think i have this problem. The drip is around my bell housing too.

any recomendations as to what to do/fix?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Localmotion
uh oh...i think i have this problem. The drip is around my bell housing too.

any recomendations as to what to do/fix?
That could also be the headgasket because most of the time it would leak towards the rear part of the engine where it was tough to see. Did you ever have yours done in the recall?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
That could also be the headgasket because most of the time it would leak towards the rear part of the engine where it was tough to see. Did you ever have yours done in the recall?
they only checked it..no replace