Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

wheeling with a auto tranny

Old 09-15-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheeling with a auto tranny

well Ive been looking into purchasing a runner w/ a auto tranny but my bro said let A/T are pretty much worthless when it comes to 4wheeling now I know let a auto isnt the most desirable tranny to have but , I would like to hear the skinny from those of you who actually run a automatic tranny . Is it really that bad while off roading ? and how is it on the street while your at it ? Ive never drove a vehical with a automatic trannsmision other than in drivers ed . thanx alot guys and Ill be doing some major searching on this subject as well .
Old 09-15-2003, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh, the age old question - Manual or Auto for wheelin'. Personally, I prefer the auto. There is enough stuff going on on the trail to keep you busy without having to shift, too. Some argue more control with a manual, and maybe that's true. For the level of wheelin' I do, an auto suits me fine. If I build a dedicated hardcore trail buggy someday, then MAYBE it will get a manual...

And yes, I know how to drive a manual and have had manual tranny vehicles...

EDIT: If I didn't live at the other end of the country, there would be a bidding war for Leo's rig! Rust free "built" 2nd Gen....

Last edited by Cebby; 09-15-2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:40 PM

I prefer autos so you can concentrate on the trail. I use my left foot on the brake to modulate my speed and keep a steady gas pedal pressure to prevent spinning and jerking which is real common in 4 low.

Chris
Old 09-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

I wheel'd a manual for 18 years....now I have a auto- I do NOT miss shifting..I cant think what would make a auto 'worthless' off road?- you still have compleate control of gears- without the clutch!
Old 09-15-2003, 07:42 PM

Get a tranny cooler and call it done.

My auto with diff gears wheels a whole lot more smoothly than a stick with only diff gears. Throw in a crawler and the story is different, but that is not part of the equation.

With an auto, if you need to crawl, you just use two feet and you have a poor man's Marlin. No worries about stalling or anything.

With a stick, you don't have that choice. You go as slow as you can go in 4-low 1st and hope it doesn't stall.

Lots of the comp buggies are going auto, lots of the Toy truck guys with 5spds have crawlers. Stock against stock on rocks, I say use an auto.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Autos are better for going uphill because it won't stall, while manuals are better at going downhill because of engine braking. Now, if you install a crawler with that manual tranny, then you get the best of both worlds. However, if you're not going to spend the money for a crawler, then an auto is the next best thing because you won't be banging your way up a rock. Autos are much smoother on uphill obstacles, which means fewer broken parts.

IMO the only huge disadvantage with an auto is that the tranny must be full with tranny fluid or you won't move. With a manual, you can at least limp to the trailhead.

In the end, it really doesn't matter, they both have their advantages and they'll both get you to where you want to go. FWIW, many of the competition rock buggies are running autos.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

I really caught the wheeling bug less than a year ago, and was real concerned about having an auto. I've learned over the past few months that, at least within the Toyota crowd, that I've seen at least an equal number of auto and man. tranny!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:06 PM

Let's not forget the damage you put to the clutch when four-wheeling with a manual.

Like some have said, they both have their pros and cons.

I guess it all boils down to which you are most comfortable utilizing when off-roading.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

What's wrong with the 3rd gens? Ill deliver my '96 to your door and include SAS parts
Old 09-15-2003, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i prefer manual when wheeling. if your gears are low enough, you shouldn't need your clutch at all

i do agree with the jerking in 4lo though, you just have to maintain a higher level of finesse
Old 09-16-2003, 05:30 AM

Hey I really appreciate all the responses guys , your great ! Ive noticed the large amount of comp rigs going to autos and Iv also noticed the large amount of you guys running autos . So I really appreciate it alot.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:42 AM

I think either are fine. Depending on the kind of wheeling you do, a crawler becomes much more important with a manual tranny. Rockclimbing can be tough on a clutch without a crawler.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:54 AM

All this mentioning of a crawler has get me wondering if there's a low gear set or crawler available for our 3rd gen autos?

Chris
Old 09-16-2003, 06:18 AM

One word......Schaeffer.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

I have had both. The AT in my 98 Taco, and the 5 speed in my 96 Runner.

I prefer the manual tranny for moderate off-roading, but most importantly for daily driving, which is where I spend most of my time.

My .02
Old 09-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I have had both. The AT in my 98 Taco, and the 5 speed in my 96 Runner.

I prefer the manual tranny for moderate off-roading, but most importantly for daily driving, which is where I spend most of my time.

My .02
You prefer a manual for daily driving?? Man I hate my DD

A) because its a Jeep
B) because its a manual - Driving in traffic sucks with it especially on hills. Gonna have to buy a new clutch soon at 40k.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
All this mentioning of a crawler has get me wondering if there's a low gear set or crawler available for our 3rd gen autos?

Chris
http://www.marlincrawler.com
Old 09-16-2003, 10:07 AM

Your friend is an idiot.

I have wheeled both autos and manuals. I perfer the auto. It is much smoother and there will be less wear and tear on your truck with an auto because it is so much smoother.

The group I wheel with is mostly Tacos with manuals. There is always the smell of burnt clutch in the air. They seem to have much more trouble negotiating obsticals then I do. If they are going up somthing and stop, they have a fit getting the truck going again. They tend to spin the tires more loosing traction.

With my auto I simply drive over stuff nice and smooth and just keep going. No fuss no muss.

The only time I can ever see an advantage with the manual is going down a steep hill that is very loose or muddy. You can get much more engine braking at low speeds with a manual. There are ways to compensate. I just pull in some parking brake and that seems to more then make up the difference.

Having wheeled both, I feel the auto is much better, much better.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

The trick to wheelin a manual off-road, is learning how to use the e-brake to your advantage. Pull up the e-brake and get the rpm's up a little on a hill and if your good at a stick you should have no problem with spinning. I admit it probably is a little harder to wheel in a manual, but i find it more fun.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:55 AM

The trick to rock crawling a stick is to have a crawler. For real wheeling, you will not be able to comfortably wheel a 5 spd without a crawler.

If your wheeling requires a locker, you will want a crawler or an auto.

You can get a 3rd gen auto crawler, there are 2nd gen guys have them. Only problem is that it puts the output on the wrong side. All that means is that the solid axle swap is easier.

I thought reposting would be appropriate because of the absurdity of some responses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheeling with a auto tranny