Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

wheelers wheels on backorder. replacement suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheelers wheels on backorder. replacement suggestions?

hi guys. in a bind. what black steel wheels are you guys running with 33's that will clear the 3rd gen 4runner calipers?

wheelers just informed me that their 16x8 type B's are on 60-90 day backorder due to a redesign. i want to wait, but i can't wait that long.

really just looking for wheels that are known to fit.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To better help people decide, you should mention you have a 98 4runner with NO ABS, also, you have already ordered 16" tires, so whatever people suggest has to be able to fit a 4runner without abs but still be a 16x8.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:51 AM

"I am tempted to drive down there, pull a rim off my tacoma, put it on the 4runner then go back and count and kick bri in the "leg" once for every time he told me they won't fit. Have I mentioned that stock non-abs trucks all have the same size brakes and the 15" rim will fit, therefore I wonder if they are telling him no based on his 16" rims or based on the truth of the matter?"

this is what i am being told by heath.
this is based on information i received by a company about a rim i was looking at. they told me they would not fit, but...someone thinks they will.

can someone PLEASE confirm this?

Last edited by bflooks; 02-14-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bflooks
"I am tempted to drive down there, pull a rim off my tacoma, put it on the 4runner then go back and count and kick bri in the "leg" once for every time he told me they won't fit. Have I mentioned that stock non-abs trucks all have the same size brakes and the 15" rim will fit, therefore I wonder if they are telling him no based on his 16" rims or based on the truth of the matter?"

this is what i am being told by heath.
this is based on information i received by a company about a rim i was looking at. they told me they would not fit, but...someone thinks they will.

can someone PLEASE confirm this?
Haha, I wasn't bringing the argument here, I was just providing some missing information to help people help you. But sure, lets confirm or deny that because I would like to know also since it would be the same for my tacoma.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:06 PM

i just wish i knew if the procomp 97 series would def. fit or not. 4wheelparts says no, but they are not exactly the best thing going. and i dont want to order a set to trial fit, and then have to return them.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:12 PM

hi guys. in a bind. what black steel wheels are you guys running with 33's that will clear the 3rd gen 4runner calipers?

wheelers just informed me that their 16x8 type B's are on 60-90 day backorder due to a redesign. i want to wait, but i can't wait that long.

really just looking for wheels that are known to fit.
you will need 16s of what I understand, the black ARE's most times have more offset, kick the wheel out further than the factory rim

you can call PV in Malden Ma 781 321 7700 talk to Mike, he can explain the differences, how much the wheels will kick out etc, they are a wholesale direct dealer for ARE they can get the wheels in a day, they have lay away, they can mount your wheels if needed etc, they also have some good deals on tires,,,,,

I used to work at that shop, and just got wheels for a project car I am building, they sized up my rims and they fit perfect...even if you dont buy them there, might be good to pick their brain
Old 02-14-2006, 12:12 PM

i just wish i knew if the procomp 97 series would def. fit or not. 4wheelparts says no, but they are not exactly the best thing going. and i dont want to order a set to trial fit, and then have to return them.
Agreed, I was reading something about the method they used to cut the holes made them not fit...but I am not sure what that has to do with it. Too bad you aren't closer to Wabbit, he has those rims I believe.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:14 PM

i appreciate that tim. it is not the backspacing that is the issue. it is the inner wheel diameter and the size of the calipers.

i may call them though. thanks!
Old 02-14-2006, 12:17 PM

i appreciate that tim. it is not the backspacing that is the issue. it is the inner wheel diameter and the size of the calipers.

i may call them though. thanks!
i understand that, that is why you will need 16s....in order to have a rim diameter to clear the calipers

i have also considered those wheels myself, once spring hits, i am going to do more of a full on build with my truck, wheels might be something i do,,,,let me know how you make out
Old 02-14-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BOSTON4RUNNER
i understand that, that is why you will need 16s....in order to have a rim diameter to clear the calipers

i have also considered those wheels myself, once spring hits, i am going to do more of a full on build with my truck, wheels might be something i do,,,,let me know how you make out
This is what our discussion on ne4roc is based on, since he doesn't have abs, I don't think he needs a 16" rim. Therefore, what we need to know is, is a 16" rim that is too small to fit a newer ABS equipped 4runner big enough to fit an older non abs 4runner?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:24 PM

on the phone with the shop now, they make a 16 X 7 4 inch backspacing....which will fit my truck which has ABS and 16 inch wheels

which would give it a 50/50 split, basically would kick your wheel out about an inch over what the factory wheel does, this split means that they will kick out from the wheel center, as far as they would kick in

they also make the white wagon wheel........have in the shop this other set of wheels

they are 15 X 8 should clear the caliper no problem, they would also let you bring your truck down and test fit them,,,,,they are made for a toyota 6 lug, are made to retain the factory offset...they are new wheels but are overstock, they actually dont make this exact wheel anymore

they will sell them for $175.00 for the whole set (maybe can get them cheaper like 150)

they are white, but can easily paint them black, they are the same wheel design pretty much as the common black ARE steelies everyone has
Old 02-14-2006, 12:27 PM

he said 99.9 percent sure,,,,will be NO caliper clearance problem with these 15 X 8s he has

I would suggest, if you are close to being ready to buy,,,go check them out

also they can get low buck but quality off road tires,,and can also get more expensive stuff like BFG etc,,,whatever you need to meet your budget
Old 02-14-2006, 12:35 PM

thanks for the info. i may have to go and pay a visit. i already have the tires purchased. i got the 285/75/16 trxus m/t's. the shop was waiting for the wheeler's wheels to get there so they could mount and balance them, but then i got the call today about the back order.

NO ONE has any input on this this/these topics from experience? i know there are many guys running black steelies.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Hey Tim, ask them if the pro comp series 97 will fit flooksy's truck.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:41 PM

I am not on the phone with them now, they can give him a list of all the wheels that they carry, that will fit

they have tons in stock on display, being able to touch and feel and bring it outside to lean up against your vehicle makes a huge difference......when buying wheels
Old 02-15-2006, 02:30 PM

American Racing Mojave series Teflon's... In the Anthricite/Black... those are the sexiest wheels EVER, adn they've gotta have a set that fit over ABS brakes...
Old 02-16-2006, 05:36 AM

I think for the price, these 15 X 8s would be a great score, especially if you are on a budget, would be cheap to get them, do a nice black spray job on them
Old 02-16-2006, 05:48 AM

i have settled on the ProComp 87 Series wheel.

http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/Products.asp?Cat=1251

according to ProComp, they fit.
i am waiting to hear from Elias 4WD about his availability on them. otherwise, i am getting them from 4wheelcustoms.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

good deal. I tried to order the same wheels from wheeler's a few days ago. Those ProComps do look pretty sexy and I'm not about to wait 60-90 days and have brand-new 33" BFG muds sitting beside my TV!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:11 AM

that is my thing. Elias is holding 4 of the Trxus for me, and i want them to be on the truck when i put the lift on. 60-90 days is WELL in to the wheeling season, and i refuse to wait that long. also, the more expensive 87 series from 4wheelcustoms is still cheaper than wheelers because of shipping. i am hoping Elias can get them for me though to eliminate the shipping all together. i should have an answer today.

Quick Reply: wheelers wheels on backorder. replacement suggestions?