Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What's the Biggest you've pulled out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the Biggest you've pulled out?

I decided to go do a little fishing last night. As I was dirving back around the lake I noticed a full size Chevy truck looking like it was quite stuck. Apparently he decided to launch his jetski from the beach and backed in a little far. When I pulled up I noticed that he had the front right and rear right almost up to the frame. I was going to give it a shot, but the guy told me that he alreay had a "Duramax" try to pull it out and failed. I cant help but think that I could've gotten it out. It really didnt look too bad. Plus I think that the single burn out spot in the dirt led me to believe that there was a NON posi trying to pull him out. He ended up calling a towtruck to get him out so he declined me even trying. So my question is: What is the biggest, most stuck rig that you've had to pull out with you Toyota truck or 4Runner?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tried pulling a 3/4 ton dodge 4wd with rear on ice and front dropped in a ice hole up to the top of the hood out with my 1st gen.... almost was able to, but couldnt quite pop the front all the way out of the hole.... double teamed with an another 1st gen and we got him out.

3rd doesnt get much offroad use, but i think it would have faired about the same.

Last edited by colsoncj; 08-07-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
tryed pullin my buddies S10 blazer out, it was stuck pretty darn good in the clay/mud, plus it shut off so it was dead weight.. crappy bumper of mine didnt hold up at allll
pics

Old 08-07-2007, 09:44 AM

One time at Pismo I came across two full size crew cab long bed lifted trucks (one Chevy and one Ford) It was 2 am and they were screwed. One guy hit a deep v and got stuck. The other guy tried to pull him uphill and got stuck.

I had my 86 4x4 4 cyl toy truck and ended up getting both of them out.

I pulled the guy up on the hill backwards to get him out.

The other guy I ended up going 90 degrees to him and had the Chevy line up in front of me. We did a double inline pull on this Ford and got him out.

And all they had to offer me back at their camp was a shot of Jack! Oh well....
Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

I tried pulling this out.

With this.

But ended up calling

And this!!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I am bored at work and like pictures..
Had to dual line it w/ the Cruiser and the F*rd.

Damn near pulled the TJM off the front of my truck!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 AM

I ran around all last summer with a SAS 4 cyl Yota pickup on 36 Iroks and he pulled my fullsize 350 chevy on 33 boggers out all the time.. Couple times took a couple bumper busters but he always managed, everything from Mud to Sand to mucky rivers.. Now that I have the Yota, I have only pulled smaller stuff so far as the two of us dont care to run with Heavy Chevys.. they just cant go anywhere.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM

I just can't get over the fact that I know I could've gotten his rig out. One major issue was that he was running basicly car tires on his truck. If he would've had decent tires he probably wouldn't even have gotten himself stuck in the first place.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by frodin1
So my question is: What is the biggest, most stuck rig that you've had to pull out with you Toyota truck or 4Runner?
freinds 75 K5 Blazer with 1 tons and 44" boggers. he was buried axle deep in the rear and the front axle was almost under the mud.. In Azusa Canyon... if anyones been there then you know that the mud gets DEEP and gooey sometimes. and he's locked in the rear. couple of yanks with my rope and i got him out. 90 toy 3.slow v6 35" mud terrains, 4.88's front and rear.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 PM

I pulled out a friends full size Yukon that was buried so deep in mud the frame was sitting on solid ground. That was a long day...
Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
When stationed at Ft.Richardson, AK (90-94) pulled out a Suburban one winter with my old '84 e-cab. He had just slid off the road, easy pull. 2 weeks later while wheeling on the frozen Ekutna River my truck broke through the ice...A different Suburban and a LC returned the favor. Wish I could find pictures of that one
That same summer had to get pulled out by a deuce and half when I buried myself in some muskeg....
Old 08-07-2007, 08:29 PM

this last winter me and my friends jeep got stuck in snow and we dug out the jeep but had no chain....my friend came down with a yukon and got my half out and then he got stuck....the jeep pulled me the rest of the way out and got stuck......the i got 2 pull them both out
Old 08-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We had a pretty good snow this past winter, and there's a pretty steep 1/4 mile hill that was covered in ince and snow. Some high-school hotshots in mommy's V8 Grand Cherokee were at the bottom spinning their tires and goin nowhere. Pulled up to 'em, hooked up the tow strap, and showed those boys a real man's 4WD. Tore the kiwi's off that Jeep the whole way up the hill. My proudest Toyota moment
Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM

A big ford V8 dually tow truck! I hired him to pull out my son's Supra which broke down. He burried the truck to the floor boards. I pulled him and the Supra out with the 4Runner. Wish I had a camera.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 AM

I got my dad's 1999 ford 150 4wd stuck with the back end in the muck of the lake, front on some sand.. pulled with the 4runner but didn't have enough chain to get on flat ground, so I was digging holes in the hill, it was a tight spot in the first place so I got a little extra help from a chevy full size behind me, and found a little more chain to get further up the hill (flatter) and the ford popped right out.. Spent the next hour trying to get the rear wheel off to flush out all the grit and sand that was binding it all up.

I don't think the ford actually got the front engaged.. I'd love to raz my dad on that but I'm the one that got the truck stuck in the first place... I'm spoiled with my toyotas, you engage the front, and it is engaged, that ford.. lights up, but sometimes doesn't work.. it doesn't help when that silly rubber end to the shifter keeps coming off in your hand!!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nissian titan out of a foot of mud. to which he replied, "wow, how big of a motor do you have in there?" i said a inline 4. and a few chevy trucks.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I pulled an f150 crew cab on 38's sitting on its frame out of the mud once. As soon as he was out he turns to me and says hey i'm gonna try it again I know I can make it through. Idiot...got stuck again and I couldn't get it. Probably would've helped if I wasnt on bald 31's. Took my friends TJ locked f&r to get him out, even he was struggling.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Can I ask a quick n00beriffic question? What is the proper way to pull someone out? After you tie on the straps, do you slowly pull forward till the strap is taut, then floor it? Or do you get a running start?

Apologies in advance. My past auto experiences have only been sports cars.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:07 PM

My last pickup: 1500 silverado up to the axles in snow, then a T-100 (sorry guys). We all get stuck at some point, so they pulled me out later that day. That was the day I told my wife my next rig would have lockers.
Can I ask a quick n00beriffic question? What is the proper way to pull someone out? After you tie on the straps, do you slowly pull forward till the strap is taut, then floor it? Or do you get a running start?
You'll get lots of opinions on this - I like to work in escalation: start with a taut strap and ease into the throttle. If that doesn't work, I hit the gas a little more abruptly. Starting with a slack line can be pretty dangerous, and works in some situations, but not others. There are threads on here that describe different methods if you do a search. Also, it depends on what your pull line is made of (i.e. cable, chain, nylon, bungie, etc.), so do some research on that too.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 PM

wish I had pics I pulled out a rollback I was on dry ground and he almost drove himself out but it was still a pretty cool feeling

Quick Reply: What's the Biggest you've pulled out?