Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

what is this part?

Old 02-17-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is this part?

what is the shifting key spring? my transmission grinds gears every now and then even with the clutch all the way in still. I was looking in the FSM and is suggested a worn shifting key spring. i searched and googled it but didnt find anything that helped. can someone explain what it is and tell me if this is what is causing my problem. if im careful and shift it slow it seems like i can find a spot when moving between gears that makes it not grind. The plastic bushings are also good, they look new.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Hummm. Don't know for sure. You are referring to the "seat and bushing" in the shift tower mechanism that is good? That's what I was first thinking when I read your post. If that is okay I'd take a good luck at your clutch hydraulics. Is your slave cylinder puking fluid? How about your master cylinder, don't forget to look at the back side. What does your hydraulic fluid look like? Maybe your seals are shot and you are bypassing. Is your clutch dragging at all? That is, do you have an adjustment problem? Something bent or broken? Release bearing not binding? Just some thoughts.

Also, take a look at your transmission fluid/oil. Is it clean? Is there any indication of brass or bronze in the oil? If so your syncros may be starting to go out.

-Wrench
Old 02-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The spring you are talking about are I think the springs on the return bearing hub. They are the little clips that hold it to the fork. I know mine came of and my clutch did that. I had to pull the motor and put them back on. Just a guess tho cuz i had a similar problem.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:22 PM

i just replaced the clutch, throw out bearing, fork and pilot bearing. my slave cylinder doesnt leak and i have bleed it. it is also adjusted right too. my tranny makes a squeling sound tho right before its hard to shift or grinds, i can tell if it is gonna give me problems if it is started to make a sound.