Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Washer and Door Lock Controls Switched

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washer and Door Lock Controls Switched

Does anyone have any idea of how to correct controls that are switched in reverse?
I bought a used 99 4Runner Limited and it had previous front end damage. To spray windshield washer fluid in the front, I must use the rear controls. Also to lock the doors on the side console, I must use the unlock button. These are minor issues but I think it is also related to my keyless entry.
I can't get my keyless entry to work. I have the correct model, and the correct programming code for the keyless entry. I think this might be related to the switched controls for door locks.
I am thinking that some wires just got switched when the front end damage was repaired. I'm not that familiar with cars or car electrical systems, but I am willing to learn. I would like to avoid taking my car to the dealer for service when I could possibly learn how to fix this especially if its relatively easy.
Thanks for any assistance.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:20 PM

I highly doubt that a front end collision would result in that. I can under stand some wires being crossed, but you are talking about the serious wiring harness in the front window controls. That harness connector is big, and I dont see why a person fixing some front end damage would pull wires out of that connector and put them in different spots. My prediction would be that the body computer is going bad. Sometimes when the body computer is going bad it will switch different things on and off. But I could be wrong. Why would you buy a 4runner which had been in an accident and the keyless entry didnt work and things switches were on the fritz? I am not bashing you but just wondering why.

You might try finding the way to reprogram the keyless entry and if that does not work then look into getting a new body computer. This unit controls all of the switching functions and accepts the keyless entry broadcasts.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 PM

I've seen the washer thing happen before, Im guessing its a problem in the stalk, but I've never been forced to dig into it.

the lock button may have been rewired, some people think the lock and unlock buttons are counterintuitive and change them.