Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wal-Mart Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-Mart Synthetic Oil

I noticed a couple of months ago that Wally World was now selling private label full sunthetic at $11.88 for five quarts. The store manager here (Va.) said it is Pennzoil Syn although elsewhere on this board someone said Quaker State. In any case, being the cheap SOB I am, I bought a few bottles to try in my wife's Honda Accord and see what the oil analysis is before I subject the Runner to it. I'm sending a sample with 5K on it to Dysons for analysis and will post what they return. Between that price and the Toyota filters form my dealer at $3.95 a pop, it does a full syn change for under $16.00. Anyone else try it yet or have any thoughts. I went to bobstheoilguy to see if it was mentioned anywhere there but no luck. I've used Wal-Mart dino in my Miata for years (120K miles) and have periodically sent it off for analysis and it always came back with very low solids, metals, acid, nil on water and a/f and the recommendation was usually to extend the oil change interval (changed every 3K) which was as good as analysis on Castrol used in my wife's Honda for the first 20K miles (switched to Wal-Mart).
Old 04-13-2004, 05:12 PM

awesome, let us know the results
Old 04-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Keep us posted. I use Mobil 1, but would be willing to change if it proves to be just as good!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:11 AM

I use Mobil 1, but would be willing to change if it proves to be just as good!
You'd sell your soul for a box of synthetic motor oil?

I hope you can play the fiddle really well.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:10 AM

I used to read bobistheoilguy a lot. There were many discussions on the wal-mart syn oil, its just finding them. I use Mobil 1 because it is a true synthetic, and it can be bought just about everywhere.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Why?

You get what you pay for almost always and I wouldn't put anything from Walmart on or in my rig. I'm like Rainman, "Kmart sux and so does Walmart!"

Nothing personal, but it is hard for me to understand anyone haggling over what might amount to $20 concerning putting questionable oil in your rig, which could cost you in excess of $6K to replace the engine.

If you can't afford to play the game and win the prize, stay your at home.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-14-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

I'm kinda pissed about this synthetic oil thing. I took the benz to the dealer to get the oil change done. Figuring its a benz dealer so it might be like $40 for an oil change. I go to pay the bill ........ $65, for an oil change. I was like "you put gold in the oil?", and he said factory recommends synthetic and it takes 12 quarts of oil. So I need to find a cheap place to buy synthetic oil. Let us know the results of the test. thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Just because it says walmart doesnt mean it's bad. Like Tom said, its probably Pennzoil or Quaker State. A lot of stores do this...I would hope you know this. Walmart doesnt make anything...they just buy stuff in bulk and put their name on it with a cheaper price.

I highly doubt walmart oil will cause an engine to seize up. Thats just an absurd statement...if there was any doubt that it would cause such a problem to occur, it wouldnt be on the shelf.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by PoBoy
Just because it says walmart doesnt mean it's bad. Like Tom said, its probably Pennzoil or Quaker State. A lot of stores do this...I would hope you know this. Walmart doesnt make anything...they just buy stuff in bulk and put their name on it with a cheaper price.

I highly doubt walmart oil will cause an engine to seize up. Thats just an absurd statement...if there was any doubt that it would cause such a problem to occur, it wouldnt be on the shelf.

I think he is right....my company makes a certain eye care product for the market. We also make the very best on the market.....Plus we make almost every private label brand for all of the chain stores. The same is true of many products out there. We put the same quality into those products as our brand.

Someone has to make it for them. Synthetics are not a low end product...so someone big has to be making it for them. Not everyone has the capacity/capability to make it. I bet one of the big companies does it for them. Walmart is famous for going into a supplier and saying "I will only pay this much and you will have to supply it to us for that or get none of our business."
Old 04-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DavidA
I think he is right....my company makes a certain eye care product for the market. We also make the very best on the market.....Plus we make almost every private label brand for all of the chain stores. The same is true of many products out there. We put the same quality into those products as our brand.

Someone has to make it for them. Synthetics are not a low end product...so someone big has to be making it for them. Not everyone has the capacity/capability to make it. I bet one of the big companies does it for them. Walmart is famous for going into a supplier and saying "I will only pay this much and you will have to supply it to us for that or get none of our business."
I have a question for you then. I use the bausch and Lomb contact lens solution and no problems, and pretty much any other nae brand and I'm fine. Once I tried the cvs brand and within 2 days eyes were red. I thought it was maybe something with the contact so I got a fresh pair, but then again with in a day or two it was irritating my eyes. Went back to B&L and it was fine again. There has to be some difference in quality.

Walmart has very strict requirements of who can sell to them. Its a big hassle to be able to supply their stores, and they usually dictate the terms.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 AM

Yes Pennzoil and Quaker State maybe OK, but they are not true synthetics. They are type III oils which are highly refined dino oil. Mobil 1 is the ONLY true synthetic oil that can be bought in most stores. Royal Purple, AMSoil, Redline,and Schaffers are the other big true synthetics, but are not widely available. The Wal-Mart brand can't be run on extended drain intervals. Mobil 1 can, and could end up being cheper in the long run. The Mobil 1 is less than twice the price of the Wal-Mart brand and IS definetly better quality. I realize many products are relabled to off brands, but this is kind of comparing apples to oranges as far as oil goes.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
...he said factory recommends synthetic and it takes 12 quarts of oil
12 freaking quarts? :wtf: Do you drive an 18 wheeler or something
Old 04-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
I have a question for you then. I use the bausch and Lomb contact lens solution and no problems, and pretty much any other nae brand and I'm fine. Once I tried the cvs brand and within 2 days eyes were red. I thought it was maybe something with the contact so I got a fresh pair, but then again with in a day or two it was irritating my eyes. Went back to B&L and it was fine again. There has to be some difference in quality.

Walmart has very strict requirements of who can sell to them. Its a big hassle to be able to supply their stores, and they usually dictate the terms.
That is usually not quality, you are apparently sensitive to something in the formula. That is why we make several different versions under our name. Typically the private label stuff is saline with some buffering solutions. I have a sensitivity to like the Cooper brands. Some of the enmzyne (sp) solutions are made with animal pancreatic emzymes and some people have reactions to them. Every manufacturer has to slightly change their formula in order not to infringe on the patent rights of another. You just have to try different ones. The human body is an extremely complicated device.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 AM

A Porsche 911 also has a 12 qt oil capacity.

~Bill
Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by humanoid
12 freaking quarts? :wtf: Do you drive an 18 wheeler or something
Yeah that was pretty much my reaction as well. But no just a little C280.
:pat:
Old 04-14-2004, 11:59 AM

I'm sorry but if an oil is labeled 100% synthetic, I can't believe it's just super refined dino oil. Even Mobil 1 starts with a petroleum base stock and adds compounds and additives to it that creates a different long chain molecular structure than dino oil. I also don't believe for a second that Wal-Mart is putting their label on inferior products. As the world's largest company, it's has the ability to dictate terms and pricing to many, if not most, of their suppliers. Someone representing Hoover Vacuum cleaners once told me they sell to Wal-Mart at minimal profit but that you can't afford not to be in Wal-Mart because of the ancillary sales (bags, belts). As for their dino oil, I've got the proof in the various oil analysis that I've had done that is just as good as leading brands so why would anyone expect their synthetic to be any different. As for extended oil changes using Amsoil, I think people who take that risk are assuming a much bigger risk of engine damage using their snake oil selling. Plus the Wal-Mart synthetic meets all the German and Corvette standards which, as I understand it, goes way beyond the normal SAE gradings. The extended oil changes on the BMW's, Porsche's, etc. are because they do hold 10 to 12 quarts. Takes longer to break it down and you've got that much more additive. Still, I think someone with a 80K Mercedes who follows their 20,000 or 2 year recommendation is insane, IMHO. In any case, I'll see what the analysis shows, post the results and people can make up their own minds. Personally, saving $10.00 a time on an oil change that I'm going to do every 5K regardless of oil brand and type is worth it to me, perhaps not to others. I've got far more confidence in that system than trying to extended the life of Amsoil or Mobil 1 because you think it doesn't hurt the engine.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
AF1

I put Napa brand oil in all my cars......Its Vavoline.....little cheaper.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 PM

Just because it says walmart doesnt mean it's bad.
Wal-Martyrs
Old 04-15-2004, 03:48 AM

tom4416, there are a lot of strong opinions on this board and I personally believe in the Amsoil products. That being said, if you run the oil analysis regularly and keep it changed when required, you should be in good shape. It's always helpful to have people identify other products at good prices. We each need to do our own cost / benefit analysis and make our personal decision. Disregard the flames!
Old 04-15-2004, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wally world sells silver star bulbs for $37 a pair. Are they any lesser quality than the stores that sell them for $50? They also sell mobil 1 and castrol 100% synthetic oil in 5 qt jugs (don't miss the oil fill hole on your engine!) for about $21

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart Synthetic Oil