Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Vortex vs. Flowmaster - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortex vs. Flowmaster - PLEASE HELP

Ok, I purchaed a VORTEX muffler from Jason @ burtmanindustries.com. Great product but a little too loud for me. Realized it after a week of using it and a whole weekend with the family in the 4Runner.

Now I am contemplating on getting the Flowmaster 50 series SUV. Does anyone have any insight on this product being used on our 3.4L V6? I hear it is quiet...but is there even a slight bit of rumble more than OEM?

Thanks everyone for their $.02. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What was the body length on the vortex you bought? The flowmaster is going to be similar in comparison to the vortex. Go for a 18" or 22" magnaflow if you want a good sound but have it quieter.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

I know you didn't ask about the magnaflow but I'll chime in anyway. I have the 24" magnaflow and I believe it has what you're looking for. It has a low rumble when you're on the gas but otherwise is pretty quiet.

It also has a rumble upon first start up in the morning but calms down as rpms drop. Hope this helps. FYI, I was able to get this muffler pretty cheap from PP ($39, IIRC). That was a deal from a buddy but I don't think the going rate was much more. I'd check just in case.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:04 AM

2.5" 50 series FlowMaster has a nice growl to it, and is quieter that the straight thru MagnaFlow I tried first.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:28 AM

Dynomax

Someone gave me their $.02 on the Dynomax Super Turbo...any other advice others can give me on this product?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Dynomax muffler . Some will argue with me about this but I see these as cheap quality mufflers. They are packed with fiberglass packing which will blow out in 1-2 years and leave your truck sounding horribly loud. Which brings me back to Magnaflow. Magnaflow uses stainless steel packing which will not blow out. Plus it has a greater warranty.

Last edited by cootees; 12-20-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:37 AM

a FlowMaster has NO packing...

I don't like the noise level of the DynoMax or Magnaflow, nor do I like the tone quality of either. The FlowMaster has the "muscle car" sound vs. the "import" tone I detest...

In any case, don't expect a muffler to make any noticable power gains. While the truck sounds better, it didn't change much of anything else. Still getting 18.8 MPG around town, and about20 on the highway.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

You're right but a flowmaster is a chambered muffler that was designed to not be used with packing. But to each their own.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by cootees
Dynomax muffler . Some will argue with me about this but I see these as cheap quality mufflers. They are packed with fiberglass packing which will blow out in 1-2 years and leave your truck sounding horribly loud. Which brings me back to Magnaflow. Magnaflow uses stainless steel packing which will not blow out. Plus it has a greater warranty.
Just looked on the DYNOMAX website, and they have a pretty good Lifetime Warranty:

DynoMax® Performance Exhaust Warranty

Safe & SoundSM Guarantee

We are so confident that you will like your new DynoMax® Ultra Flo™ SS, Ultra Flo™ Welded and Super Turbo™ Performance Mufflers, we offer this exclusive Safe & Sound™ Guarantee.

Try our products for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the Tenneco difference. If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, replace the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price, plus labor (up to $50 per exhaust system). We're that confident you will be satisfied with our products.

For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.

* Offer limited to the purchase of one (1) DynoMax® Ultra Flo™ SS, Ultra Flo™ Welded or Super Turbo™ Performance Mufflers. This offer does not include units improperly installed or substituted. Valid only on vehicles used for private, non-commercial use and may be withdrawn at any time.

Dynomax Headers
Dynomax Headers carry a 90 day warranty against defects in materials or craftsmanship. Any modifications to the product, or use inconsistent with the intended application, voids this warranty. Parts and Labor are not covered.

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Tenneco Inc. warrants qualifying DynoMax® products against defects and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed and TA continues to make the warranted product(s).

Qualifying Products
• DynoMax® Ultra Flo™ SS Performance Mufflers
• DynoMax® Ultra Flo™ Welded Performance Mufflers
• DynoMax® Super Turbo™ Performance Mufflers

Tenneco's obligation under this warranty is limited to replacement of the worn-out or defective product in accordance with this warranty. Cost of removal and installation are not included, and any incidental and consequential damages are excluded under this warranty. This warranty does not apply to products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes.

To make a claim under this warranty, return the worn-out or defective product with the dated original receipt to the dealer from whom it was purchased or to a TA dealer for verification and exchange under this warranty.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state. Any implied warranties you may have under state law are limited to the same duration as this warranty. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts or do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations and exclusion may not apply to you.

Tenneco will contact warranty-serviced consumers to conduct customer satisfaction surveys relating to product and warranty service. Survey activity will provide valuable feedback and help measure the level of consumer satisfaction in different markets.

Information or assistance regarding a warranty claim may be obtained by writing:

Warranty Department / Tenneco
One International Drive
Monroe, MI 48161

Or by calling: 1 (734) 384-7898

Limited Lifetime Warranty is limited to qualifying DynoMax® products only.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Give it a try. There are a lot of people on this board that love the dynomax mufflers. I was just stating my personal input from my own experience with their mufflers and the company.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:21 AM

Cootees - thanks for your $.02. That is why I like forums so we all can value from owner's opinions. Will keep you posted.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Haha...my feeling about my Runner; if my passengers don't like it, they can use their own gas. With the exception of the girlfriend that is

I bet you'll like the Dynomax...I had one on my old 2nd gen and even with the weak 3.0 it still sounded pretty decent, I bet it will be even better on the 3rd gen.

Fink
Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 AM

OK guys, got the DYNOMAX Super Turbo installed today. Not bad. I can honestly say that I am 100% pleased with it. Has a nice clean tone over stock and less rumble at accleration and cruising speed. From the driving I did today, there wasn't much drone either. And at idle, it is quiet but one can still realize that there is something under there as far as it having that nice deep prrrrr.

Dynomax has a wonderful warranty and the guys at the shop convinced me that this would be the quietest "non-OEM" performance muffler out there.

Ok, just have to wait for the whole ECU reset to judge it's true performance. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Glad you could find one you are happy with!

Keep us informed of any improvements!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:55 AM

Truck drove well lastnight on the way home and then today on the morning drive. I drive 40 miles to work one way, about 3/4 hwy and 1/4 city. Much improvements felt already.

Thanks to TRUEFLOW from www.burtmanindustries.com and Dynomax Super Turbo from www.dynomax.com/superturbo.