Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 oil pressure

My oil light comes on at idle, so I am getting worried. Is there an easy way that I can check the oil pressure without getting a specialty gauge.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Have you checked the oil level?

My suggestion would be to download the Oil Light troubleshooting instructions from the TIS website ($10 day use fee, all you can download). I would not start the engine one more time until I found out what was going on either.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:53 PM

The oil level is good, my idle seems to be low its at about 6and thats when the light comes on. I have yet to check the pressure thats why Id like to know if there are other ways to check without a gauge. I dont have the option of parking it right now and funds are low at this time
Old 12-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if your oil press is truly low, and you continue to drive the vehicle, you might need a new motor. Keep that in mind.

The TIS website will give you the FSM instructions to making sure the light itself is working properly (the sending unit). If you confirm it is, seriously, don't run the engine unless you want to have to buy a new one.

If I was in your shoes, and I tested the sending unit (as ok), I would tow it to the dealer (or similar) before I went any further. Permanent engine damage will occur with genuinely low pressure.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:13 PM

I live in Canada and the TIS only accepts U.S. mailing and billing addresses. I am very concerned. I will have to get a hold of a gage and test it befor it gets worse, I hope it is a simple problem, there doesnt seem to be any symptoms of any problems other than the light. You dont think that the low idle is the cause.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Have you checked the oil level?

My suggestion would be to download the Oil Light troubleshooting instructions from the TIS website ($10 day use fee, all you can download). I would not start the engine one more time until I found out what was going on either.
I second that advice.
Check the sender with a multimeter and you may need to use an analog guage to verify pressure.
If there really is low pressure (depending on how low), serious engine damage can result.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:26 PM

The unit is working after all the light is on, unless your saying maybe not enough voltage. Also as long as I keeps the revs up the light goes out so theoreticaly its getting enough pressure.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

I would do what all the other guys said. This is a serious issue, and since you said it comes on and off depending on engine load, the sender is probably ok, but many out of calibration?

Also, would a temporary fix be to up the idle a little bit so that you get enough presssure at idle? If so, I'd do that too...
Old 12-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kawicowboy
The unit is working after all the light is on, unless your saying maybe not enough voltage. Also as long as I keeps the revs up the light goes out so theoreticaly its getting enough pressure.
I think you are missing the point a bit here. The issue is you really don't know if the sensor is reporting correctly or if you really do have low oil pressure or not. The problem is not as simple as turning up the idle (which you can't do on a 3rd gen anyway), in fact the idle may even be low because of the low oil pressure. You need to get the info from the FSM as Christian suggested and go through the proceedure to diagnose exactly why the oil light coming on. If you need help, get the info and we can walk you through it.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-18-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I think you are missing the point a bit here. The issue is you really don't know if the sensor is reporting correctly or if you really do have low oil pressure or not. The problem is not as simple as turning up the idle (which you can do on a 3rd gen anyway), in fact the idle may even be low because of the low oil pressure. You need to get the info from the FSM as Christian suggested and go through the proceedure to diagnose exactly why the oil light coming on. If you need help, get the info and we can walk you through it.
Can or can't...?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Can or can't...?
*edited*, thanks!

Time to hit the hay.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-18-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Anyway, I am pretty sure there is a way to adjust it. I know this is kind of a highjack, but there's gotta be a way to adjust it on any car, or am I mistaken?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

No, there really isn't a simple way to adjust it (like a screw for example). The only thing you could do is manipulate a signal (temp, pressure) to the ECM, or, adjust the throttle cable. With my SMT6, I can influence the idle by how much fuel trim I dial in.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:02 PM

Well Thanks Guys for the input. I guess ive been trying to avoid the issue that something serious is wrong but you guys have made me realize that there could be a major problem. I will try and get this tested ASAP and post the results.
Thanks Again
Old 12-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Anyway, I am pretty sure there is a way to adjust it. I know this is kind of a highjack, but there's gotta be a way to adjust it on any car, or am I mistaken?
Nope.

The idle is controlled by a device called an IAC valve (Idle Air Control). It is basically a little servo which moves back and forth and opens or closes an air bypass port into the plenum (ie it allows air around the butterfly valve in the throttle body). The computer has a set range it wants to see the idle in (about 650-750 RPM) so it will adjust this little valve to keep the engine in range. Thus there is no screw to open the butterfly valve on the throttle body because the computer is controlling it via the IAC valve. Even if you did have a screw, the ECU would override your changes with the IAC if you tried to adjust it. This is also why it is important to keep this little device clean as well (it is often neglected and could be part of the low idle issue).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-19-2005 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:14 PM

Just to keep you guys updated, Ive had trouble sleeping over this so what I did was went and grabed a Toyota oil filter and some synthetic oil and changed it this morning and so far so good, no light has come on yet. I think it might of been the cheepo oil filter I had in it befor. I still plan to have the pressure checked but for now at least ill sleep.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:21 PM

When the oil light comes on at idel 99% of the time your pressure regulator is going bad (getting stuck a little open). REPLACE your oil pump if the problem presists. A poor quality oil filter should not restrict flow enough to make the light come on, there are other issues here.

Even if the light isnt on, your pressure can still be under spec. The light is meant to indicate "if you dont turn off your motor NOW your motor will be DAMAGED" its a simple on off switch and has no idea what RPM you are at.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:52 PM

Yes you are right, I forgot to metion that the dip stick in the truck is not the original or the right one for that matter. I got the truck a month ago and changed the oil, thats when I realized the dip was wrong plus having come from a 22re I only put 4liters of oil in, the light came on, did some research and found out about the 5.5ltrs. At that point I added a liter and some addative but was never real sure of the amount of oil thats in it, thats when I figure I would just change it and filter and see what happens.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kawicowboy
Yes you are right, I forgot to metion that the dip stick in the truck is not the original or the right one for that matter. I got the truck a month ago and changed the oil, thats when I realized the dip was wrong plus having come from a 22re I only put 4liters of oil in, the light came on, did some research and found out about the 5.5ltrs. At that point I added a liter and some addative but was never real sure of the amount of oil thats in it, thats when I figure I would just change it and filter and see what happens.
Wow, ok.....why is the dipstick not the correct one?
You could definately be low on oil for sure, hence the light (I usually put in almost 6 qts at an oil change).

I suggest calling a boneyard to find the right part and replace yours.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Quick question, are there different capacities for the 4WD 5VZ and the 2WD due to the pan? because my oil level reads full after roughly 5 quarts of oil!!!

Quick Reply: 3.4 oil pressure