Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Valve cover gasket replacement

Old 02-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve cover gasket replacement

Hi all,

I've got a small leak in my valve cover gasket. I'm going to replace both of them. Are there any write-ups with pics that could help me out? I've got a 1988 Toyota 4WD pickup with a 3.0 liter 3VZE. From what I've read so far, I'll need the valve cover gaskets and the intake plenum gasket. Are there any other parts that need to be replaced? Also, does the coolant need to be drained? And is there anything else I might as well adjust/replace while it's taken apart?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 03-18-2005 at 07:28 PM. Reason: more appropriate title
Old 02-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just buy a new truck.

Umm Is it only leaking on one side? If it is just the driver side than its pretty simple, if its the passenger side uhhhhh.... I know the autoparts store sells a gasket kit, because there are some other gaskets involved when doing both sides - but I can not remember them specifically - the whole thing was $180 range if I recall.
If the leak is real small and on the passenger side it might actually be worth living with for a while because it is a real PITA job IMO. You might beable to just tighten the valve cover down a little and stop leak.
Sorry I dont have any pics or links to help you more specifically.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

ha...ha.. I just bought the truck about a month ago. I think I'll keep it for a while. thanks for your suggestions phorunninduke. I just called the dealership and they quoted me $15 ( each valve gasket) and $10 for the plenum intake gasket. I'm wondering if the kit you referred to includes new bolts?

Troy
Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh, I just did the drivers side on my 95 3.0 - it wasn't too bad at all. I got a FelPro gasket set from O'Rilleys for about 20 bucks.

I work slow and methodical and it took me about an hour start to finish mostly because I take a lot of pics, clean up the work area and clean threads of bolts as I go. You will need different lengths of extensions and a swivel to make life easier. A few of the bolts are hidden underneath the wiring harness that runs along the top/center section of the cover. Overall the drivers side isn't too difficult at all.

As for the passenger side...ugh....it isn't leaking yet but I am not looking forward to removing the upper intake. I do know you will need to get a gasket for the upper to lower intake because they are reported to always be cracked when removed.

Hope this helps you some.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by troy65
Hi all,

I've got a small leak in my valve cover gasket. I'm going to replace both of them. Are there any write-ups with pics that could help me out? I've got a 1988 Toyota 4WD pickup with a 3.0 liter 3VZE. From what I've read so far, I'll need the valve cover gaskets and the intake plenum gasket. Are there any other parts that need to be replaced? Also, does the coolant need to be drained? And is there anything else I might as well adjust/replace while it's taken apart?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Troy
The only part you'll run into with coolant is 2 small hoses on the throttle body, I've removed mine without draining. I just removed the hoses and plugged them, small bolt or golf tee works well. I only spilled a tiny bit of coolant.

The only other gaskets I can think of are the EGR pipe and cold start injector. But for them you can always try the old ones and replace later if leaking.

One other thing replace the PCV valve, it's a lot easier with the plenum off, and maybe the PCV grommet in the vave cover if it feels hard.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the replies,

So far, I've got the following:

1. Right and left valve cover gaskets
2. Plenum intake gasket
3. replace PCV
4. EGR pipe and cold start injector gaskets

Where's the cold start injector located? Is it and "o" ring or gasket?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
life is much easier when you pull the TB from the upper plenum....so add the 2 dollar TB gasket from toyota...

Also go to walmart and buy a scotchbrite wheel for a drill - makes quick work of gaskets...
Old 02-24-2005, 05:57 PM

I did this a year ago. You will need:

-Lots of pictures of hose locations, etc.

-Mark the thread location on transmission kickdown cable and cruise control.

-Drain coolant into clean bucket so that you can dump back in when completed.

-Crack open gas cap.

- Have torque specs and bolt tightening pattern for valve cover and plenum.

- You will need the upper gasket for the plenum and leave throttle body attached.

-Watch out for the 1 inch hose in the back under the plenum that needs to be unhooked and don't kink the wire on the back.

These are the parts you will need while under there:

PCV Valve
PCV Grommet
PCV hose
Valve cover gaskets
Upper plenum gasket

Check cam caps for leaks while you are back there. It will take a day to complete the job taking your time.

After one week of replacing this stuff change the oil.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:16 PM

Don't be affraid of the plenum. When you remove it don't take all the vacuum hoses off. just remove the egr and the cold start injector line and tilt the plenum up and out of the way. You will need to remove the hose that goes to the reed valve underneath the plenum, but you will be able to lift it up enough to access it easily. I always remove the t-body when removing the plenum because it's easier to clean them both this way.

When installing your valve covers with the new gaskets, put a light coat of oil on the new rubber gaskets and tighten the valve cover bolts in the correct sequence to 4-5 ft/lbs. Do not overtighten. You will also need to put 4 small beads of sealant on your head surfaces. I'll try to find a pic that shows you were to put it.

While you have the plenum up and out of the way do the pcv mod. With a drill, remove the retaining washer on the bottom of your old pcv valve and empy out the innards. Now it is simply a free flowing passage way. Put the modded pcv valve back in the valve cover. I used a 1/2" hose and attached it to the fat part of the pcv, than ran it to an easily accessible place. Put in a new pcv valve (in line) and connect it back to your plenum. It will be a piece of cake next time you need to change it.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by troy65
Thanks for all the replies,

So far, I've got the following:

1. Right and left valve cover gaskets
2. Plenum intake gasket
3. replace PCV
4. EGR pipe and cold start injector gaskets

Where's the cold start injector located? Is it and "o" ring or gasket?

Cold start injector is in the plenum, passenger side right in the middle. It has a metal fuel line and an electrical connector.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks eric-the-red!!

Troy
Old 03-01-2005, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

And thanks for all the other very helpful replies....

Much appreciated,

Troy
Old 03-01-2005, 03:35 PM

did you get it done? How did it go?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Nope, not yet. I've got a few issues with the O2 sensor and the EGR valve and modulator before I tackle the valve gaskets.

Troy
Old 03-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Get It Done!
Old 03-01-2005, 06:42 PM

Dont you mean "Git-R-Dun!!!" Larry the cable guy rules!!
Old 03-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Ok boys!!

The parts will be ordered tomorrow. Any suggestions with regard to the type of sealant that should be applied to the rounded corners of the valve gaskets? This will be my first big job. The only other things I've done were changing the plugs, wires, adjusting the clutch pedal, bleeding the clutch fluid, and replacing the brushes in my alternator.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 03-29-2005 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:05 PM

your basic black RVT sealant works - I used a grey based RVT meant for sealing up the water pump.... Its applied at the corners... ill go digging for some of hte pics I took...
Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
your basic black RVT sealant works - I used a grey based RVT meant for sealing up the water pump.... Its applied at the corners... ill go digging for some of hte pics I took...
I'll second the black RTV sealant, best one I've found is from Toyota, parts guy at the dealer gave me a tube when I did my water pump last year. Never had a leak with it yet.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Parts ordered and I'll do it this weekend with pics.

1. Left and Right Cylinder Head Cover (or valve cover) gaskets
2. plenum intake gasket
3. PCV grommet and valve
4. 1/2" hose and clamps for PCV valve mod
5. High temperature RTV sealant

Hope I haven't left anything else off the list.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 03-29-2005 at 08:05 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve cover gasket replacement