Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Turbo with Self Contained Oiling System?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo with Self Contained Oiling System?

Does anyone know where to find a Turbo with a self contained oil lubricating system. No in/out oil lines. I've been looking around but I can't find one. All I find are the self contained superchagers. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:25 PM

turbo

heres a link to a turbo site i think it is self contained not sure it my look a little wierd but it still the sam principalhttp: //www.ststurbo.com
Old 10-26-2004, 07:28 PM

What you are looking for does exist. There turbos for 2 stroke applications that do not need external oil supply. I have no idea where to point you for this, but have seen them on racing snow mobiles.

Gadget
Old 10-27-2004, 02:52 PM

Now that I think of it, it's probably not a good idea to get a self contained turbo for a 4 cylinder engine (or bigger). It'll probably end up getting too hot. I wonder if I could use an electronic oil pump and oil supply to run through my turbo, maybe? The thing is, I want to a turbo myself, but don't want to do any drilling into the block. Any ideas?
Old 10-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

I dont think you would need to drill and tap the block. I know on my 6.2 the turbo would get fed from the oil pressure sending unit, and i dont see why that wouldnt work on a Toy. Not to mention Toyota used factory turbos on the 22re's, so there should be provisions for the oil system already on your block, be it from the oil pressure sending unit or somewhere else.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the reply.

How hard would it be to install a turbo? All the Intake piping would probably be easy enough. Bolting on the headers to the turbo might be alittle tricky (for a novice like myself). Installing the downpipe might be somewhat trying as well. Wastegate should be easy, I hope. And then there are the oil lines. Am I forgettin anything?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YotaTruck1986
Thanks for the reply.

How hard would it be to install a turbo?... Am I forgettin anything?
it wouldn't be hard to bolt everything up, a exhaust shop could make a down pipe for you, and if you want to run more than a few pounds of boost your going to have to get some kind of fuel management, you could just get bigger injectors, tweak your VAFM, and get a adjustable fuel pressure reg., but in my opinion, stand alone, or some kind of piggyback system is the best to do to allow precise fuel maps
Old 10-27-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by superjoe83
it wouldn't be hard to bolt everything up, a exhaust shop could make a down pipe for you, and if you want to run more than a few pounds of boost your going to have to get some kind of fuel management, you could just get bigger injectors, tweak your VAFM, and get a adjustable fuel pressure reg., but in my opinion, stand alone, or some kind of piggyback system is the best to do to allow precise fuel maps
I'll probably be running 6 lbs of boost max with my stock compression. My worries are whether or not the stock engine could handle anymore boost, and running to lean. Didn't the stock 22RETs run 6 PSI?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Yes but IIRC they had lower compression pistons as well, but im not positive on that.

Turbo's arent to hard to do, as long as you know the specifics of what your engine needs, what the turbo will put out Pressure wise, spool up, exhaust flow, and have patience it can be done for a relatively small ammount of money. But you cant just slap any old turbo on you want, it has to be matched to the motor.

Some more things you will need, is a good set of gauges. Boost, Pyro, and an AFM, would be the bare minimum, but will allow you to keep tabs on the motor.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
also, LC engineering makes a turbo header...you could probably adapt it to something better than the stock ct20 without too much trouble
Old 10-28-2004, 04:53 AM

you can make a self contained lube system for a turbo. people that build jet engines (kind of) from turbos have to do this. you could just get a pump and an oil cooler and plumb it in. with an oil cooler you shouldn't have too much of a problem of heat since the turbo doesn't flow that much oil.

i've installed a few turbo feed lines coming from the oil pressure sender on cars. then you can just tap the oil pan for the drain.

if you do install a turbo i would recommend getting a wideband a/f gauge. a stock narrowband isn't accurate at the a/f you need on a turbo and running lean is the fastest way to end your fun