Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tuning URD A/F Ratio Calibrator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tuning URD A/F Ratio Calibrator?

Are any of you guys tuning the base map Gadget sends these out with or are you using it as is?

I see the box needs to be opened to get to the serial port and before I stuff it away behind the dash I'm wondering if I should plan on it needing tuning later.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Are any of you guys tuning the base map Gadget sends these out with or are you using it as is?

I see the box needs to be opened to get to the serial port and before I stuff it away behind the dash I'm wondering if I should plan on it needing tuning later.
You will want easy access for tuning I think... every car has slight differences based on your hardware. You will especially need to tune if you're using water injection.

No room in your glove box? Maybe you could just use an extension cable from CompUSA to go from behind the dash to some nondescript area you could plug into.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I just didn't want to open it up for the extension cable if it doesn't need it. Anyone using it the way it ships?
Old 08-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I just didn't want to open it up for the extension cable if it doesn't need it. Anyone using it the way it ships?
BUMP so someone can jump in...

I'm planning on using it in its stock configuration for a weekend trip after I get it installed, but once I get gauges it's on! I'm going to tune it for high (above 5000ft) and low altitude and load maps as I need them... Have you found an incredible mounting spot that just can't be passed up, even though it isn't accessible?

I assume midiwall or Gadget will jump in eventually...

Last edited by mastacox; 08-03-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
Have you found an ibcredible mounting spot that just can't be passed up, even though it isn't accessible?
I think so, I removed the ABS computer and it left a nice spot. I would like to keep the glove box for other stuff.

I'm having a hard time getting hold of anyone at URD, anyone else having that problem?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

I was under the impression the SS unit had a plug on the side of it... you have to open the top of the unit to get to the plug?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Isn't that a plug on the side of it?
Or is the one you got a little different because of the lack of signal conditioner?

Last edited by mastacox; 08-03-2006 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

That's the FTC not the A/F ratio sensor calabrator. I was pretty confused at first by those 2 too. Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1230100028

Here's a pic of it with the lid off:
Attached Thumbnails Tuning URD A/F Ratio Calibrator?-cnv0761.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

I see, so it does the job of the split second unit on narrowband sensor, but for a wideband sensor application... Hmmm
Old 08-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

I see, so it does the job of the split second unit on narrowband sensor, but for a wideband sensor application... Hmmm
Yeah, well a little more than the SS unit on a narrowband sensor, but you got the idea. If your new 4runner is a 99 or newer you may want one of these too.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, well a little more than the SS unit on a narrowband sensor, but you got the idea. If your new 4runner is a 99 or newer you may want one of these too.
Nope, it's a '98 So I'm just getting the URD Calibration unit with buit-in O2 signal conditioner...

Hopefully i'll be able to tune the engine to where I want with a simple narrow-band A/F sensor and EGT gauge.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

I might CONSIDER getting a wideband sensor for later on, but I get the feeling with a little seat-of-the-pants intuition and my secret weapon Yotatech, I'll be fine.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

I might CONSIDER getting a wideband sensor for later on, but I get the feeling with a little seat-of-the-pants intuition and my secret weapon Yotatech, I'll be fine.
That's a different sensor, the sensor this calibrates is the front "O2" sensor from the factory and in 99 Toyota started using a A/F ratio sensor unstead of an O2 sensor for the ECU to adjust the A/F ratio. You are talking about a 3rd sensor put in for a A/F ratio gauge.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

That's a different sensor, the sensor this calibrates is the front "O2" sensor from the factory and in 99 Toyota started using a A/F ratio sensor unstead of an O2 sensor for the ECU to adjust the A/F ratio. You are talking about a 3rd sensor put in for a A/F ratio gauge.
Yeah, but a wideband sensor and gauge are like $350... Midiwall has one, but he says he rarely uses it. Like I said, later on if I must (or just feel like it).

I'm not sure if you saw this thread, but anyway:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...3&page=2&pp=25

Originally Posted by midiwall
(damn, you picked up on that...)

Yeah, I was sucked into buying an LM-1. $350 later, I can say I think I've used it three times in the last 18 months. I also have the add-on 5 channel datalogger, that's another $80.

Yes, it's "cool" to see your real A/FR in an instant, but if you're in closed loop, the A/FR will ALWAYS be 14.7:1 or migrating to that point thanks to the ECU. So, you're looking at a $350 tool to help you tune at WOT. Fair 'nuff. But if you have an EGT, and once you feel the effects of leaning out up top, then you can do a pretty good job without it. I said this in another thread recently, but I can get pretty close to 12:1 up top just with the EGT and my ear. I've validated my settings a couple of times with the LM-1. The effect of being lean or being too hot at WOT is pretty dramatic.

The datalogger is cool btw, but it's not really worth $450 (LM-1 + logger).
Old 08-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

So is anyone out there in Yotaland using one of these URD A/F Ratio Calibrators? If so, did you tune it?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:18 AM

(hi)

fwiw, I'm here on the thread but didn't have a lot to say since I don't run what Dale's asking about.

I've thought about running one, and me being me, I would most certainly not leave the stock tuning alone, bt that's just me being the eternal tinkerer.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
(hi)

fwiw, I'm here on the thread but didn't have a lot to say since I don't run what Dale's asking about.

I've thought about running one, and me being me, I would most certainly not leave the stock tuning alone, bt that's just me being the eternal tinkerer.
What year ECU do you have Mark? Wouldn't you need a 99 or newer ECU and O2 (A/F) sensor to run this?

BTW I found some guys using this over on CT: http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69202
Old 08-03-2006, 11:32 AM

What year ECU do you have Mark? Wouldn't you need a 99 or newer ECU and O2 (A/F) sensor to run this?
A '96 and no, not technically.

That thing is a rebranded SplitSecond ESC1:
http://splitsec.com/products/esc1/esc1ds.htm

The key thing that URD doesn't mention is on that Split Second page:
"Versions available for 1V and 5V range EGO sensors"

BTW I found some guys using this over on CT: http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69202
Cool! Yeah, the CT guys are much more into this kind of stuff than the folks here.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Oh I see, there's another version. I just ordered another serial cable from URD to hook up this thing for easy tuning later. Time for Dremel work
Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just moved the numbers over on my a/f calibrator tonight. I'm running about 13.5 at 3psi in closed loop. I moved the numbers over two columns. I'm only getting about 5psi open loop at 5000 ft. though, so i think 13.5 at 3 psi is good.

Quick Reply: Tuning URD A/F Ratio Calibrator?