Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

TRD Headers & Cat-Back

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRD Headers & Cat-Back

I ordered the TRD headers and exhaust today from my local dealer, got 15% off. Hopefully will have it all installed by this weekend.

Anyone have any experiences to share that I should know of with these products? Quirks, things to watch for, etc.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Darx
Quirks, things to watch for, etc.
Reduced gas mileage for the first couple of tanks while you play with the new power. You should have a lot of fun.

Who's doing the install?

The key thing that I've heard/found out about _all_ the header manufacturers is that the gaskets tend to leak. The best tip I got about this is that the gaskets to use are the _stock_ exhaust manifold gaskets - NOT the TRD gaskets.

If you're having the dealer install, then I would just let them deal with it. If you find that you develop a leak down the road, then they can fight the issue.

One negative that I've noticed since I started running headers (ceramic coated Downey's) is a HUGE increase in the under-hood temps. It's at the point that it's causing trouble with things like air lines when I'm on a summertime trail ride. I had two air line issues and a fuse block issue this past weekend - all were clearly heat related. I've been thinking about wrapping the headers, but there's such a Pro/Con controversy around doing that...

The "upside" of this is that when I've poked under the hood of other folks running headers (e.g., WATRD who's running TRD headers and catback) he does _not_ have a heat issue like I do. So my problem could be coming from somewhere else.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the tips midiwall.

I'll be having the dealer deal with this install. How would I know if it is leaking? A certain sound? Like that hissing noise you sometimes hear with cars that have exhaust leaks?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much is the dealer charging you for the installation? If you wouldn't mind me asking.

George
Old 07-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by george16
How much is the dealer charging you for the installation? If you wouldn't mind me asking.

George
I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm just hoping they don't cancel the order. I don't believe they were supposed to give me 15% off on this stuff. So I just paid and got out of there.

When I have the part in my hands I'll then deal with the installation appointment. I'm sure it's going to be a lot.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the tips midiwall.

I'll be having the dealer deal with this install. How would I know if it is leaking? A certain sound? Like that hissing noise you sometimes hear with cars that have exhaust leaks?
Yeah, you'll pretty much "know it when you hear it". Kindofa "pfft-pfft-pfft" that increases with engine RPM and once it starts, it'll tend to get louder quickly.

[I don't believe they were supposed to give me 15% off on this stuff. So I just paid and got out of there.
Considering the list price, and what they'll charge you for the install, they're still making their money after a 15% discount.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Considering the list price, and what they'll charge you for the install, they're still making their money after a 15% discount.
That's what I figure but everytime I ask about using the coupons that come at the bottom of the work orders on TRD stuff they keep saying no. But everytime I go in I keep asking and this time I asked a different person and she asked someone else and they both said yes so I just went ahead and did it.

I just went in their to order the Union part to do the rear diff. breather mod and asked about the coupon as usual on TRD parts.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

My "stainless" TRD headers are rusting. I noticed it about 3-4 months after.
If I were you, I would ask the dealer if you can get them coated before the install. My dealer said they would not do it because it was not the original TRD part because of the mod. It is well worth a shot.
The throttle response is a lot better though.
I have yet to look at my TRD cat-back. I will do so when I get my O2 bung welded on. I'm betting it's just as bad.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
My "stainless" TRD headers are rusting. I noticed it about 3-4 months after.
If I were you, I would ask the dealer if you can get them coated before the install. My dealer said they would not do it because it was not the original TRD part because of the mod. It is well worth a shot.
The throttle response is a lot better though.
I have yet to look at my TRD cat-back. I will do so when I get my O2 bung welded on. I'm betting it's just as bad.
So if you want to get them ceramic coated they wont install it for you or honor the warranty? I'm still under my extended care warranty so these parts fall under that, which is better than ther TRD warranty at this point.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:34 PM

I've got both, headers and exhaust. LAtely I have had a problem with them. Either the header exhaust manifold gasket, or the other gasket that is placed between the headers and spot where the headers and exhaust meet (not sure what it's called) is leaking extremely bad. IT seems as if the two pieces do NOT go flush against each other. It sucks ass. I don't know how to fix it. Because it seems as if they somehow bent that way. If anyone has any idea on how to fix it, I'd really appreciate it. I've had the damn gurgling noise for about 4 months now and I'm going insane. Other than that they put out alot of power, but if I fixed them I'm sure it would be back where it used to be. That's the only complaint I have with the TRD goodies. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to throw in your 2 cents.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:36 PM

exhaust is cake to install yourself....I'm sure you could save some money there...
Old 07-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

The cat-back came in yesterday and got it installed today.

I like the sound it's fairly deep compared to a lot of exhaust I've heard. Sounds like it means business compared to all the exhaust tips the tuners are putting on their cars that make it sound like a lawnmower.

Hopefully the headers show up soon.

Last edited by Darx; 08-11-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Xpresident
I've got both, headers and exhaust. LAtely I have had a problem with them. Either the header exhaust manifold gasket, or the other gasket that is placed between the headers and spot where the headers and exhaust meet (not sure what it's called) is leaking extremely bad. IT seems as if the two pieces do NOT go flush against each other. It sucks ass. I don't know how to fix it. Because it seems as if they somehow bent that way. If anyone has any idea on how to fix it, I'd really appreciate it. I've had the damn gurgling noise for about 4 months now and I'm going insane. Other than that they put out alot of power, but if I fixed them I'm sure it would be back where it used to be. That's the only complaint I have with the TRD goodies. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to throw in your 2 cents.

TRD has a new update to fix the header leaking problem.It seems that they change some parts and use spring bolts to help the exhaust flex alittle rather than leak.I ordered mine new and had it come with the update from Toyota Of Richland Todd Packer 1800-527-2781. You might be able to send them back for the update. To the guy buying new ones make sure it comes with the update.

Brian
www.puresynthetics.com
Old 07-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
The key thing that I've heard/found out about _all_ the header manufacturers is that the gaskets tend to leak. The best tip I got about this is that the gaskets to use are the _stock_ exhaust manifold gaskets - NOT the TRD gaskets.
I have to disagree with you Mark regarding Edelbrock's. The stock gaskets would have NEVER sealed if I went with them. Yes, they were multi-layered metal, but the opening was totally different. I know you said TRD specifically on your post, but just in case there was any confusion for people considering Edelbrock's out there. Go with the Edelbrock gasket.

I am not sure about the TRD's, but I have a clearance issue on my drivers side header with the clutch fork (where it meets the slave piston). If I could do it over again, I would cut or sand the end of the fork down slightly. The problem is that when the engine torques (going up a hill or something) and I have to quick shift to 4th or 3rd, there are times when the clutch fork will "stick" on the header, causing the clutch pedal to go to the floor rapidly. It is a freaky thing, especially in the middle of the desert 200 miles outside of Phoenix! So I recommend sanding that down.

I also had to bend and relocate my slave cylinder soft and hard lines. Orginally they were over the header; exposed to extreme heat. I routed them under - after the header burned a hole in the soft line and I lost hydraulic pressure (pulling into my driveway thank God!)

That's about it for now...

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-28-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ssyota
TRD has a new update to fix the header leaking problem.It seems that they change some parts and use spring bolts to help the exhaust flex alittle rather than leak.I ordered mine new and had it come with the update from Toyota Of Richland Todd Packer 1800-527-2781. You might be able to send them back for the update. To the guy buying new ones make sure it comes with the update.

Brian
www.puresynthetics.com
Well the exhaust is on. What does a spring bolt look like? I haven't gotten the headers in yet. I'll check the box before I have them install it.

===
Edit: just realized you were talking about the headers and not the exhaust.

Last edited by Darx; 07-28-2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I have to disagree with you Mark regarding Edelbrock's. The stock gaskets would have NEVER sealed if I went with them. Yes, they were multi-layered metal, but the opening was totally different. I know you said TRD specifically on your post, but just in case there was any confusion for people considering Edelbrock's out there. Go with the Edelbrock gasket.
Ahhh... noted!

I also had to bend and relocate my slave cylinder soft and hard lines. Orginally they were over the header; exposed to extreme heat. I routed them under - after the header burned a hole in the soft line and I lost hydraulic pressure (pulling into my driveway thank God!)
And along these lines... My kick-down cable (it's an auto) got routed AROUND the outside of the header during reassembly. That worked swell for about 2 weeks, and then the outter sheath finally gave in to the heat and melted to the point that the kick-down binds.

$50something for a new cable, and you have to drop the tranny pan (and thus replace the lost tranny fluid) in order to replace it.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:55 PM

Well the exhaust is on. What does a spring bolt look like? I haven't gotten the headers in yet. I'll check the box before I have them install it.

===
Edit: just realized you were talking about the headers and not the exhaust.

I did not install them yet but the bolt will slide through the spring and that is were it allows it to flex at the flang part on the y pipe not the manifold.Rather than bolting up flush. Make sue that the dealer contacts TRD to get the update. TRD will not let you swap out any parts. It needs to be done by the dealer that you purchased them from.

Last edited by ssyota; 07-28-2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Bah! After hounding the dealer today about the headers not being here after a week and a half they finally checked it out and told me they're on back order.

Hopefully this means they're waiting on a new set that was talked about above with the spring bolts?

They said they would call me tomorrow with more info and a ship date.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Any updates?
Old 08-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Any updates?
Haven't gotten a call from them. Will probably call Tuesday to check in again and see what's up.

Quick Reply: TRD Headers & Cat-Back