Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

transfer case input seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case input seal replacement

Hello! I have a 97 4Runner (I'm the only owner so it's in great shape). I just brought it in for a "once over" and am told the transfer case input seal is leaking. The dealership states there is gear oil outside of the case. I am not a mechanic and will not be making the repairs. The estimate is $1500 for parts and labor. Is that a crazy amount to pay for the work required to do this repair? Thank you!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
You left out some details as to whether this is an automatic or manual, 5VZ or 3RZ, mileage, etc. But I'll try to broad stroke this. In order to access the input shaft seal, you have to pull the transfer case. This is probably a 6 hour r&r flat rate job, you have to remove the driveshafts, shift linkage, possibly some of the center console for the linkages, separate the transfer case from the transmission, then replace the seal and put it all back together. Also the dealer price tag on the seal is going to be ridiculous at like $100. When you can buy and equal quality seal from National for no more than $40.

All of us know this can be done in less time, but the dealer is going to shoot long to avoid surprises at the customer's expense. Plus they are probably charging the highest hourly rate versus competitors.

How bad is it leaking? Do you have drip spots on your driveway? Was the transfer case noticeably low on fluid? If you are answering, not much, no, and no to those questions, I would save the $1500 and buy a quart of gear oil and check the fluid every 6 months or so.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your Sure it was the Input Shaft of the Transfer Case ??

If that was leaking so bad you had oil coming out your Transfer Case would be dead if fluid was not added all the time

It comes out between the Case and Transmission under only gravity pressure

I could understand front shaft output or rear shaft output

Something just feels off
Old 12-15-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
I agree, this is rare to have the input shaft leaking on a t-case, I have replaced a few front output shaft seals on abused mud trucks, takes 1/2 hour and a seal, very easy job, never a rear output or the input seal. And as mentioned it only holds like 1.75L of gear oil so I would break out the 24mm socket and top that up while you determine the leak source with your own eyes and order the correct seal from toyota, my bet is on the lower front output seal, the bill should be $100 with parts and labour at most.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Unless it's actually dripping, I'd pass on that extravagant repair bill. It's super easy to check the gear oil level.

Andreas
Old 07-16-2020, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaft Input Seal

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Your Sure it was the Input Shaft of the Transfer Case ??

If that was leaking so bad you had oil coming out your Transfer Case would be dead if fluid was not added all the time

It comes out between the Case and Transmission under only gravity pressure

I could understand front shaft output or rear shaft output

Something just feels off

In the case of my 94 Bronco, I have so far had to add a gallon a week of trans fluid to get rolling again. No puddles, very little smoke. I pulled the transfer case plug and trans fluid poured out by the quart. I’m fairly sure my input seal is toast, so it’s not that much of a rarity.