Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch issue? Transmission issue? Both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issue? Transmission issue? Both?

Hi all! I have an 89 4x4 regular cab pickup (22re motor, w56 trans). New to me, but not new by any means. A folder of maintenance records was passed on to me with the truck and it sure seems like it was decently maintained. I recently have been doing some preventive maintenance because I don't really know when the last time certain things were done. About a week ago I thought I heard a very faint high pitched whine happening at all speeds in all gears. I also thought maybe I was going crazy as it was very faint. A few days ago I noticed a very loud whine on my way home from work, it would go away when I pushed the clutch in. I did a little research and found out it may be the throw out bearing but it hasn't really repeated itself since then. I moved on to the maintenance I had planned for my weekend and drained and replaced the front and rear differential gear oil and the transmission and transfer case oil. I used 80w-90 GL-5 in the diffs and filled until it trickled out. I used 75-90 GL-4 in the transmission and transfer case. The fill plug on my bell housing was rounded off, and I only made it worse, so I filled that through the shifter. I carefully measured the 6.4 pints and put it in. Here's where I may have screwed up, because I put it in through the 4wd shifter which now that I think about it, may not go where I wanted it to.(crap). I also replaced the clutch slave and master and bled the line because the fluid was filthy. I drove it back and forth to work with no issues.
​​​ Driving on the highway today the high pitched whine was there, and maybe a bit more present. After about 5 miles I felt a slip in power. I kept driving towards the next exit and it happened again, this time I slowed down and started pulling over and the engine shut off. I started it back up and tried to gingerly move the truck and it revved really hard like it couldn't push through something. I let it be, and am currently sitting here waiting for AAA. As I sit here I can depress the clutch and it feels normal, and I can comfortably shift into all gears. Anyone know if I screwed up, or am I dealing with a part that has simply worn out?
​​​

Last edited by buckleycoldnwet; 03-25-2017 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-25-2017, 07:45 PM

Hi,
I have a 1990 toyota with the same engine and transmission as you. If I remember correctly the transfer case has a few rods with cut outs in them that actually slip into the transmission when you bolt them together, the 4wd shifter engages on these rods to shift the transfer case. that is somewhat unrelated but what I am getting at is that I think the 4wd shifter is actually mounted above the transmission (so i think your oil went in the right place, but I’m not looking right at it so there is a slight chance that I am wrong). If your clutch pedal is adjusted properly you should not get noise from your throw out bearing unless you have your foot on the clutch pedal. there is a chance it is adjusted improperly. you can check this by crawling under your truck. find your clutch slave cylinder. If you find that you can see that the slave cylinder is designed to press on your clutch fork. ( the clutch fork comes out the side of the bell housing and you will only be able to see the end of it). try to push the clutch fork forward toward the front of the truck. If it is adjusted properly the fork should be able to move (maybe an inch or so, maybe a little more or less, i cant remember). If it does not move, the slave cylinder has pressure on it and therefore the throw out bearing is constantly pressing on your clutch spring. this means that your clutch pedal is mis adjusted and the throw out bearing could be giving you some noises
Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 PM

When you say you experienced a slip in power, does it feel like the engine has lost power or that It just cannot get the power to the wheels? If the clutch pedal is mis adjusted it is possible there was enough pressure on the clutch spring to cause it to slip constantly and then wear the clutch out.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 PM

That's definitely something to check, thanks! I did do a pedal adjustment after changing out the master and slave, but I was solo, so I never visually verified that the slave was properly operating the clutch fork. I'll check that out.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:54 PM

It felt like a loss of power to the wheels. There's certainly a chance I mis adjusted the pedal and ended my clutch's life early. I used the distances in the FSM and my Haynes manual. I'd be a lot happier if I didn't, but I'd rather rebuild the clutch than the transmission.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:15 PM

No problem! you can probably do it solo, when I have adjusted my clutch pedal I just try to make sure that the motor and trans are fully disconnected when the pedal is on the floor, and that there is no pressure on the fork when my foot is off the pedal. To accomplish this I test it by putting the truck in 1st and push the pedal to the floor, then slowly let it out and see when it starts to grab(with the engine running). I just make sure that the pedal must come up a bit from the floor before it starts to grab. then when I think that part is right i make sure there is no pressure on the fork when my foot is off the pedal. to do this I get under the truck and push that fork with my hand. If the fork goes forward it also pushes the rod coming out of the slave cylinder back into the slave cylinder. then you know that it is not holding pressure with no foot on the pedal. If the fork is tight it already has pressure before you even start pushing it with your foot, not good. In this case you need to get under the dash and unhook the clutch master cylinder from the pedal, loosen the lock nut on the rod that comes from the clutch master cylinder to the pedal and turn the part that hooks onto the pedal, this will adjust it either direction depending on which way you turn it. keep trying till it is right and then make sure the lock nut is good and tight. However, if it was mis adjusted and your clutch did wear out none of this will help you till you get another clutch in there, except you might have an idea of what is going on if you can't push that fork forward with your hand. Good luck! from your picture your truck is almost identical to mine, they are good old trucks!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Nice truck! I'm starting to understand why they're so well liked. Thanks for giving me a starting point in my troubleshooting. I'll check out the clutch fork play and pedal adjustment tomorrow. At least I'll know if I smoked my clutch by mis adjustment. I've​ got my fingers crossed that the w56 4wd shifter is a forward shift rather than a top and my oil went where it is needed. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by red90toyota
No problem! you can probably do it solo, when I have adjusted my clutch pedal I just try to make sure that the motor and trans are fully disconnected when the pedal is on the floor, and that there is no pressure on the fork when my foot is off the pedal. To accomplish this I test it by putting the truck in 1st and push the pedal to the floor, then slowly let it out and see when it starts to grab(with the engine running). I just make sure that the pedal must come up a bit from the floor before it starts to grab. then when I think that part is right i make sure there is no pressure on the fork when my foot is off the pedal. to do this I get under the truck and push that fork with my hand. If the fork goes forward it also pushes the rod coming out of the slave cylinder back into the slave cylinder. then you know that it is not holding pressure with no foot on the pedal. If the fork is tight it already has pressure before you even start pushing it with your foot, not good. In this case you need to get under the dash and unhook the clutch master cylinder from the pedal, loosen the lock nut on the rod that comes from the clutch master cylinder to the pedal and turn the part that hooks onto the pedal, this will adjust it either direction depending on which way you turn it. keep trying till it is right and then make sure the lock nut is good and tight. However, if it was mis adjusted and your clutch did wear out none of this will help you till you get another clutch in there, except you might have an idea of what is going on if you can't push that fork forward with your hand. Good luck! from your picture your truck is almost identical to mine, they are good old trucks!
I got under the truck quickly this morning before work. I could not push the clutch fork forward by hand. At least not easily. I adjusted the pedal slightly until I could push it forward a little​. I started the truck and when I began to release the pedal, I heard a loud squealing noise. The noise went away when I pressed the clutch back in.
When I first heard the high pitched whine a week ago and realized it went away when I pushed the clutch in, I did a little research. There seems to be some disagreement out there, but everyone seems to say it's the release/throw out bearing or the pilot bearing. I guess it could be both. Either way, I guess if I'm going in there I should get a whole clutch kit and replace it all. Does that sound like I'm on the right track?
On another note, I did a little research on Marlin Crawler's website last night an found out that the transfer case paired with the w56-c on our years of truck is front shift and adding the gear oil through the 4wd shifter should have got it in the right place. So at least there's a positive!