Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Reviving a long-dormant, low-mile 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviving a long-dormant, low-mile 22RE

Hello YotaTech,

Long time lurker here, first time poster. I've been around Toyota trucks all my life and can't imagine not having one at this point. My rig is an '86 4x4, 22R, 5 speed standard cab / short bed pickup. I'm the 2nd owner. It's an absolute base model except for 4wd, A/C and an am/fm stereo. It's all stock and really clean but it is in need of some attention.

I've got the 22R, G52 (or is it a G54?) and transfer case out of the truck currently for a re-fresh. Started the rebuild last month and I'm still cleaning things up, measuring and testing to determine what needs to be replaced.

It was all very straightforward until I talked with my dad about an '85 22RE that he originally intended on swapping into his '75 longbed pickup. The '75 is long gone but the 22RE and 2wd trans combo has been sitting since 1985 or '86 when he bought it, from a wrecked truck with only 2,000 miles!

So now I'm looking at options. The complete 22R-to-22RE swap I believe is out of the picture considering the amount of truck teardown required, the condition of the injection system / plastic parts / electronics (sat outside for a long time...corroded, UV damage, etc) and the fact that my 22R truck is in really nice shape. I would need to buy a lot of parts to make it work. However I would like to use the complete low-mile 22RE longblock with my carb intake, exhaust, emissions equipment, etc.

Now I'm getting to the question...is there anything specific you guys would recommend I do with the longblock, apart from cleaning up the exterior?

So far, I think I'll replace the valve springs since the engine sat in one position for over 25 years and some may have "taken a set." The engine is not seized at all; it turns over super easily with a wrench on the crank snout. A co-worker suggested pre-oiling with an electric pump hooked up to the oil pressure sender port, to get oil distributed everywhere before I try to crank it over. The cam has a bit of surface rust on the lobes unfortunately but it might be salvageable. No visible wear on anything. I haven't inspected the bottom end yet but it may just be perfect. I'm thinking I should replace all the seals and gaskets since it has been sitting so long, but not sure about the head gasket.

Thanks in advance! Here's some pics...

'86 22R removed from pickup
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/154111863@N05/, on Flickr

'85 22RE arrives...

22RE sitting next to Peppy (the pickup)

22RE clutch looks great (2,000 miles)

Exterior, not so much:

Valvetrain showing a bit of surface rust on cam lobes

Timing chain, sprockets, and even plastic guides are perfect:

Thanks!

Last edited by Duder; 09-03-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: image links
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM

I'd think that after sitting outside for so long maybe some of the gaskets or seals are a bit dried out,but I would'ntt be sure.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Man, this is a tough one. It would be pretty awesome to have a factory built 85 22RE with only 2K miles in your truck. I think everyone on here can agree to that. As to the outside condition, you should some of the engines in vehicles out east that are only about 10 years old. I'd say it's nothing you can't fix up, you might need to get some new seals here and there but it might be worth it to have a pretty much brand new factory 22re in there.

I would think one would have have to tear into to get an idea of what you are working with before you make any decisions on whether or not you want to put it in your truck. As to the swap, can't help you there, I'm sure someone else will chime in though.

Cool thread, I'll be paying attention to this one for sure.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
while it's out, put in metal-backed timing chain guides. you won't have to worry about them breaking for pretty much the life of the engine.

my $0.02
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed a couple things off the bat,
2. The 22R-E is a CA engine, doesn't have air injection but your removed 22R has it, are you going to swapping that or just using what's on the 22R-E already (no air injection).
2. Did the 85 22R-E all come with the mechanical fuel pump camshaft lobe instead of the that big spacer washer even though they of course have the EFI block off plates installed for the mechanical fuel pump. I bet since it was 1st year of EFI they didn't get around to getting rid of that and replaced with the washer ;}
Just curious on those things, It's late so might have more questions tomorrow after studying pics more. Have a good one, I can't wait to see your progress, keep the info coming, Just what I can see of your truck, looks nice!!!! Good luck...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd be pulling the head and replacing the HG, and pull the cam to re-lube everything, maybe even use some 4-0 Steel wool and take down the surface rust..

If theres rust on the cam, i'd be willing to bet theres rust in the cylinders.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by wmayota
I'd think that after sitting outside for so long maybe some of the gaskets or seals are a bit dried out,but I would'ntt be sure.
Definitely! All the plastic parts are pretty much turning to dust... connectors, insulation, etc. so I would suspect that the rubber parts aren't much better. I was planning on rebuilding the 22R anyways so I factored all new seals & gaskets into the budget already.

Originally Posted by pruney81
Man, this is a tough one. It would be pretty awesome to have a factory built 85 22RE with only 2K miles in your truck. I think everyone on here can agree to that. As to the outside condition, you should some of the engines in vehicles out east that are only about 10 years old. I'd say it's nothing you can't fix up, you might need to get some new seals here and there but it might be worth it to have a pretty much brand new factory 22re in there.

I would think one would have have to tear into to get an idea of what you are working with before you make any decisions on whether or not you want to put it in your truck. As to the swap, can't help you there, I'm sure someone else will chime in though.

Cool thread, I'll be paying attention to this one for sure.
It would definitely be awesome, for sure. I'm thinking even with the 22R carb setup and emissions equipment it will feel like a whole new truck. The exterior condition of the 22RE is pretty poor, but as you said it's probably worth the trouble of cleaning it up if the internals are good to go. Definitely going to tear into it more, but I haven't decided how far to go yet! I'll get the pan off soon and see if there's any internal rust in the bottom end. The dipstick still shows oil so that's a good sign.

Originally Posted by irab88
while it's out, put in metal-backed timing chain guides. you won't have to worry about them breaking for pretty much the life of the engine.

my $0.02
Great advice, thanks for bringing that up...the 22R's Achilles heel. I installed LC Engineering's double row timing chain kit with metal guides on my 22R about 5 years ago, so I may just be able to swap that over to this engine and run it. On the other hand, it's tempting to leave that factory-fresh timing chain as-is (knowing I'll get quite a few good miles out of it)!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by john4wd
I noticed a couple things off the bat,
1. The 22R-E is a CA engine, doesn't have air injection but your removed 22R has it, are you going to swapping that or just using what's on the 22R-E already (no air injection).
2. Did the 85 22R-E all come with the mechanical fuel pump camshaft lobe instead of the that big spacer washer even though they of course have the EFI block off plates installed for the mechanical fuel pump. I bet since it was 1st year of EFI they didn't get around to getting rid of that and replaced with the washer ;}
Just curious on those things, It's late so might have more questions tomorrow after studying pics more. Have a good one, I can't wait to see your progress, keep the info coming, Just what I can see of your truck, looks nice!!!! Good luck...
Thanks for the encouragement! More pics of the truck to come shortly.

I am thinking I'll swap everything external from the 22R onto the 22RE (manifolds, distributor, fuel pump, air injection, all the other emissions components) so it will basically be a 22R when I'm done. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all the internals are the same between an '86 22R and an '85 22RE, in which case the longblocks should be interchangeable, right?

The mechanical fuel pump cam was definitely in there on the '85 22RE...looks like you wagered correctly. I may just be able to remove the block-off plate, install the fuel pump, and go. Wouldn't that be nice!

Originally Posted by peow130
I'd be pulling the head and replacing the HG, and pull the cam to re-lube everything, maybe even use some 4-0 Steel wool and take down the surface rust..

If theres rust on the cam, i'd be willing to bet theres rust in the cylinders.
On the cam, I was thinking Scotch-Brite and some Kroil to remove the surface rust, and then see if there's any pitting from there. All in all, buying a new cam if necessary wouldn't be a major setback.

I did pull the spark plugs to pour a bit of ATF in the cylinders, in case the rings were stuck. It was only after doing that that I tried turning the crank, and felt no resistance at all. I peered into the cylinders with my mini maglite and from what I could see, there is just nice crosshatch honing but no rust. I'm hopeful that the remainder of each cylinder is just as nice. Pulling the head would be the safe bet though...and I'll probably end up doing that.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 PM

These are the best pictures I could find of the truck. Unfortunately I don't have any action shots or decent overall shots of it. I guess it has always been the faithful workhorse, and I've been focusing on whatever was in the bed at the moment!

Here's the best front-on shot I have, from my bachelor's party out at Dove Springs OHV area (north of Mojave, CA):

This is basically how the truck has looked since I bought it, street tires, shell and all...

I'm definitely going to be upgrading in the tire department and possibly adding a moderate lift. Considering OME all the way around.

Also considering an ARB bull bar, so I took the front bumper off to get a look at the mounting points

Here's some more workhorse action, hauling a Volvo B230FT turbo engine:

And a Ford 6.8L V10:

Those are really the best pictures I have, sorry! Once it's rebuilt I'm looking forward to many many back country trips with multiple scenic photo opportunities.

Last edited by Duder; 07-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 PM

How it looked under the hood from 1986 - 2011:

Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so clean
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM

x2 on the clean factor, that's what I miss about living in California, no way I could find an 86 in that condition out here. I always liked that color on older ones too.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM

harmonic balance bolt just "FELLOUT" and started pouring oil everywhere. Took it off and decided to check crank so dropped oilpan. truck is lifted bout 8 inches so wasnt too bad, and saw about 50 pieces of plastic, 1 good 3 in sized piece plastic, and bout 10 pieces of piston with about a 3 in peice of piston. Then said hell with it and grabbed another beer! whats the odds of just being able to take piston out from bottom and replace instead of takin top of motor apart???? any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 AM

Sorry man, can't help you there. You may want to start your own thread or ask your question where it might be more relevant, rather than randomly posting in someone else's unrelated thread.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM

That is a sweet truck, nice to see ya keeping it going, it's going to be a classic in a few years and for future generations to see how awesome and stout they were built, in
non-snow state they will last a long time if well maintained, I had to go down south to find a rust free toyota truck, northern central Indiana not a vehicle friendly area! sucks!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

x3 on the clean....purty looking truck
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks again guys! I scored when I found it. I was just looking for any older 4wd Toyota when I bought it in 2005. This was the first one that came up, and the only one I looked at. Part of me wishes that I had bought a 1st-gen 4Runner instead, but the pickup has been very useful. No kids now but maybe in a few years, at which point I'd really like an FZJ80. No plans to get rid of the pickup though.

Last night I tried removing the 22RE intake manifold in one piece (not removing the plenum first), and it's really stuck on the head. I have all bolts, nuts, hoses, wires, brackets, etc removed. The manifold is literally just hanging from the head. Hope I'm not missing something; maybe the head, manifold and gasket have "become one" from sitting in the elements for so long!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:08 AM

Don't forget the long Allan head bolt...
Old 07-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Where is that? No mention in the factory service manual. My dad and I have only ever had carbureted trucks, so disassembling a 22RE is new to me...

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 AM

under thermostat housing I believe, hard to see and get to, has a round head, I used a small vice grips in that tiny area above it to grab ahold and brake it loose, then came out easy, tried allen wrench but wouldn't brake loose so went the already mentioned route...

Last edited by john4wd; 07-29-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Reviving a long-dormant, low-mile 22RE